MunchATG

Has elephant taming been broken

Has the taming mechanic for elephants been broken with the latest patch? The feed spot coincides perfectly with the getting a tusk inserted into your brain spot. I went through nearly 300 lives and 14 wasted hours trying to tame a level 1 yesterday using both the billboard trap or aggroing from the back of a bear in open ground to no avail. It doesn't help that the tame meter drops as quickly as it goes up either! Any thoughts people?

• Thanks 1

Many posts have been made with no acknowledgement of an issue. It's very tough taming any non-passive tames right now due to lag and from what I can tell, playing on a build that doesn't include changes from last season to make taming better. Try taming a giraffe! I just gave up on that stupid piece of crap. 

• Like 2

I agree, this is horrible, I suffered a lot to get a lvl 3. 

The terrain needs to be flat, if there is any drop in the terrain where you are trying to domesticate, it is almost impossible to feed.

Edited by FatalCrazy

I noticed yesterday that a 2 man team was able to tame a level 33 Elle in about 45 minutes or less. The secret was the second row of door frames in the taming pen were hanging in space which lessoned the amount aggro. I know everyone has different methods but that seemed to work ok.

Edited by Gomez Addams

My guess is the current server issues has a lot to do with it.  When your client is constantly de-synched with the servers its going to create a lot of knock off effects.  If your client and the server disagree on the elephants location, orientation,  etc it can be damn near impossible to tame them. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

My guess is the current server issues has a lot to do with it.  When your client is constantly de-synched with the servers its going to create a lot of knock off effects.  If your client and the server disagree on the elephants location, orientation,  etc it can be damn near impossible to tame them. 

Yep, this is exactly what is happening. We had this issue (along with the rubberbanding, sail turning back and forth, sail not dropping while holding spacebar, etc.) on our private server and found that there are certain player log files that log crap like bed uses and demolition and such that were getting really large (4GB per person). We needed to periodically clean/delete these out and that fixed the issue for us on a Nitrado server.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gindorf said:

@Sydhart

Dont forget the spinning/clip check every 5 seconds.

Fuck giraffe taming.

YEP! I've tried twice and on the 2nd time I got a little angry and cracked my desk with my fist.

• Haha 2

Ive shot 3 or 4, and walked away from others bc of how bad it can get.

At this point, when i get pissed i stop taming for the day.

Ran into this issue the other day. Checked the forums, no help. Then I finally figured it out. So you know how when you're taming a bear. You'll find the sweet spot, and sit there, feeding it every 15 seconds, til the bola is about to give out. Well with the elephant, you can't do that. It will start hitting you after the first or second feeding. Instead what you do is, feed it once, back away, 15 seconds goes by, creep up, feed again, back away, repeat this process until tamed.

For me, one way to do this is as follows:
Gates trap and Full metal Armor with metal shield and 170+ HP. 
-With the gate, you usually leave your head free to feed. Use the ball only when your head is between the pillars.
- You're going to get hit in the face. For every 10 attempts it hits in 7 and that is why safety equipment is important.
- Never try to feed from the back. The place that works is by the front paw, aiming at the ears and eye.

• Like 1

I have tamed multiple elephants getting hit 2-5 times during a 30 tame.

It's not broken, you probably suck and don't know where to stand. Try more you'll get it 🙂

12 minutes ago, gadefence said:

I have tamed multiple elephants getting hit 2-5 times during a 30 tame.

It's not broken, you probably suck and don't know where to stand. Try more you'll get it 🙂

Love how the ONE GUY who got lucky and found a high level elephant on flat ground in a field far away from others comes on and says EVERYONE else sucks and we don't play enough to know what to do. There are plenty of threads posted with people having taming issues but apparently you are the ONLY person that knows how to to feed an elephant. Because no one knows from the LAST 3 seasons to start from the belly side at the back legs and inching up to the front shoulders and staying behind the front legs to find the feed spot.  /sarcasm off

Gad, you're posts aren't usually this dumb but If there was a downgrade reputation I'd use it on you bro. 

Lots of good suggestions here...

I like them all pretty much but @Acemac idea sounds extra interesting since it offers an approach via the lower axis. Can anyone corroborate?

3 hours ago, Sydhart said:

Love how the ONE GUY who got lucky and found a high level elephant on flat ground in a field far away from others comes on and says EVERYONE else sucks and we don't play enough to know what to do. There are plenty of threads posted with people having taming issues but apparently you are the ONLY person that knows how to to feed an elephant. Because no one knows from the LAST 3 seasons to start from the belly side at the back legs and inching up to the front shoulders and staying behind the front legs to find the feed spot.  /sarcasm off

Gad, you're posts aren't usually this dumb but If there was a downgrade reputation I'd use it on you bro. 

I have tamed 5 elephants on the new server now.

2 on flat land, 3 on bumpy land.

Bumpy land can be a bit harder, you have to try and bola it properly, but it's usually not very hard.

Carry vit buff and a monkey for the probably 1 to 5 hits you take per tame and you're good.

If you can't tame it you either have no idea how to tame them or suck at taming.

Since you seem to know the good spot then I'd say it's likely #2 then, sorry mate.

All my eles but one were tamed in A1, north island. If the other islands are glitched then my statement doesn't stand.

Edited by gadefence

I honestly think it's a server by server issue and related to lag and desynch. The central part of the map seems VERY laggy as opposed to the outer edges. I was sailing up around the NW part of the map and it was much smoother than where I live on D7. Tamed a Giraffe on B2 without almost no issue. All the C5 through like F9 grids are just terrible in terms of latency. Average latency in the NW was around 70-80 while in the central grids it's typically 140+. Can't lower sails using spacebar, sails are twitching back and forth, sailing below the waves in storms. Bears and crew are desynching and traveling behind the boat. I've got some funny screenshots of one of my crew that looks like he's skiing off the back of my boat on one of my bears. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I think the desync is driving most of the frustation, Ive been 30 yards away (based on client) and been hit miltiple times. Also seen an occasional difference in feed times on client vs server. (Only a few seconds, client will say can be feed, but takes 2-3 seconds before it actually feeds, latency ~70ms)

This excludes the giraffe spin, which seems to be a consistant check every 5 seconds for clipping. (Ive put a few in really bad spots just to time that out)

• Like 1

Taming giraffe and elephant suck in this game. Too much damage and too small of a window. I wish they would just eliminate the current taming system and use Ark's system, it's so much better.

As others said, and many know, its about preparation for taming.

Elephant and Giraffe are Tier 3 tames, it is meant to be not that easy.
If you prepare and use what the game offers you, they are just as easy as bears to tame, but ofc still different.
I am happy that it is a pain in the ass to tame them when you are a naked level 30 char!
As level 70+ with a spec for taming, it is becoming way easier.

You can/should use:
Plate armor (best with extra amor from BPs)
EQ buff
Bufffood (Pudding and Rum)
Monkey
Medpacks
180+ Hp
High fortitude

You still need to go in-out to feed most of the time. Dont even bother to try to stand in the ele sweetspot, if it works it is easy, but most of the time it isnt working, so get used to the rhythm. And for easier taming of them, dont use any trap/billboard.

I havent tamed an elephant on a lawless server (much lag), but as i get hit often anyway, it should be doable there too.