Sign in to follow this  
DannyUK

The new farmhouses and ship buying

How well do you think it will go for PvE? I always thought gathering resources and building was the core of PvE now that it is automated for everyone, how do you think it will play out?

Is everyone happy with it moving in this direction? Just wanted to get other peoples opinions on it. You will still have maps and SOTD to kill but I feel it is cutting down on PvE experience which is probably what they are after.

If they add more PvE contents to do then maybe it will work but now you can have ships at the click of your fingers if you have the gold that is which isn't to hard to get. Then have a store full of resources for when you get back home.

I'd much rather they concentrated on the wind speed lanes or whatever they were doing to speed up. I don't mind the resource gathering, if you make everything really easy the incentive goes down further, just my opinion though.

Well they certainly have my attention. Ive always thought the focus should be having crew to work your island instead of tames. Hopefully this is a step in that direction.

I agree its one less thing for us PvErs, but one Im fine with (you should still be able to harvest for those large projects/to accelerate material income)... but a tame should be an early game setup and not nearly as powerful as they currently are. (Althought there should be a big step up if the tame was bred with imprint bonus)

Like you Im also looking forward to the trade winds, will be neat to finally see that too.

• Like 1

I hated resource gathering mostly, the only enjoyable part being when i finally found a juicy location for a resource i previously thought was rare.

Also i hated mapping, doing it once, i gave them away or sold for a 10% finders fee. I play xbox and i personally didnt find it as effective as just treasure diving/ whaling and buying/ trading for BPs i wanted. It seemed to me computer players were faster mappers due to quicker sorting and more experience. Maybe i just sucked at it but i never mapped.

IMO several things motivate a PvE player

1 Meeting nice people to explore w and learn from

2 Building aesthetically pleasing and/ or highly effective things. Some examples

I had VERY high cliff platforms spread around my island so a person could quickly fly to neighboring islands. Some lower ones for quickly flying to the shops, petstore,chicken coop, hardtack facility/ cooking den, barracks, breeding house, brewhouse/ farm area, Capital Building, neighbors bases, traps etc. My island itself was beautiful so it was fun to give an aerial tour or go to the highest platforms and just fly over passing ships shooting flare guns 🤪. I paid the entire upkeep so i tastefully spammed the Southern 1/3 of the island w fence posts, requested new settlers to build to the north and east sides and the neighbors i liked (most) i used the tax revenue to help. Tons of stuff but since it was spread out lag wasn't bad, even on xbox

I had a gorgeous main base cliffside, w an elevator, that looked like a cross between the Parthenon and a pagoda built using stone doorways. Several other neat or quaint buildings.

Had a sharp ass whaler that 3 shot whales

Neighbors experimented w great looking custom ships and time investment optimization

3 Fighting various NPC content and general exploration. SotD, Krakken, Yeti, Hydra etc. Networking and teaming up to fight them and learn methods or pushing a Meta strategy.

4 Taming/ Breeding 

Whole events were centered around this mechanic and for some it was their primary driver. Best stats on a particular animal or best colors etc. People were competitive about it and for some players it was fun. Also they could make money or donations to network w players. Methods and location speculation discussions were also probably part of it.

5 Mapping

Theres more probably but its all i can think of at the moment. I personally was definitely beginning to want for more polish and content. Things were definitely feeling repetitive. Also it was annoying to think that if i took a week off then POOF all gone probably 😒

Some things that could be easily, i think, implemented to enhance PvE.

Dueling-invitational 1v1 PvP. I think there was a way to declare full blown war but it cost 40k and the details were vague, also i think both sides had to consent. Never saw it used..... Instead, allowing me to say "Yo @DannyUK I'm bored lets duel" and then we proceed to chase eachother around PKing eachother until all the giggles are exhausted then when I die its over or its turned off somehow is the correct PvE solution imo. No 3rd person interference allowed. Maybe allow it on w ships also but then it gets MUCH more complicated. Straight up simple dueling would be a nice addition until more complicated features could be introduced

Skins, glass windows, decorations etc

More farmable sea monsters than just whales

Specific wipe procedures- I, as many, am still grumpy that my labors just went POOF w no form of in game compensation

The current ideas being promoted by the devs seem correct also. Regarding buying a ship, hopefully it will still be customizable...

Also i have other ideas, deeper ones, but i am not discussing them right now

Edited by Ranger1k
  • Like 2

Yeah more decorations would be amazing. Lamp posts (auto fill and auto on/off with npc on lever would be nice) glass windows, etc.

Used to be able to declare war in pve but it was a mutual thing, would be nice to bring that back since it wasnt an always/serious endevor ( @Gortok  hint, lets us opt in on pve, instead of opt out and being forced onto a pvp server, because we all know there will be mandatory/forced pvp grids if you do that...)

with this, ships will be easier to build, meaning that if you lose your ship you dont have to waste half a day getting it back just to sail again, people will take more risks and also be more agressive since the loses will be lower, something like this should have been here from the very beggining, i just hope you dont need to be island owner or some shit like that

For (almost) solo companies this looks promising. But, does it work on Lawless? And how do they run? On NPCs hopefully, the higher lvl they have, the more they gather. 

Buying ships, dont know how to feel about that. Insurance for ships do sound more logic tho.

Will there be laserguns for sale too? 

• Haha 1

The most question is:

- Does those buildings will make all nodes, bushes, trees around disappear?

If so, with possible spam of those farmhouses, islands will turn in to wastelands, and for those who wanna create high blueprints, the only way to get different resources will be to go freeport and buy all he need.

p.s. - Danny, I saw you today in the game (or some one with the same name) : )

Edited by George Catcher

1 hour ago, George Catcher said:

The most question is:

- Does those buildings will make all nodes, bushes, trees around disappear?

If so, with possible spam of those farmhouses, islands will turn in to wastelands, and for those who wanna create high blueprints, the only way to get different resources will be to go freeport and buy all he need.

p.s. - Danny, I saw you today in the game (or some one with the same name) : )

That is a good question, never thought about resources vanishing on land, just automatically thought it would go in farmhouse but stay on ground also.

Not even sure how it works on bank because I've never lived on paying island. Could work same way just stores it every so often over time.

What grid were you on? Was on this morning but only for 1 hour. If it was f8 i think then was me. Im tucked away in corner, bad people on that server with spam and covering gems.

Yea if it causes surrounding resources to vanish that could be bad depending on the gather rates, methods and whether or not ownership of #s of farmhouses is capped.

A. May still work though if it can only farm a limited type of resources, specified by the owner. Maybe set it to lumber for an hour or a day, then change it to metal for a period etc... I'd be surprised if it just desolated every resource within range endlessly. Could also require gold upkeep to keep it running to limit the destruction, theoretically. If its expensive to operate then the desolation might only last an hour or 2

B. Seems smarter, to me atleast, to have it kind of magically attract the surrounding resources into storage w/out actually affecting them. This would be better for several reasons

1 People travel to get rare resources and it would be a bummer to arrive only to find your c**k-blocked by an auto harvester

2 Less stress on the back end (server) having to generate, render and destroy over and over. Simply adding certain resources into its inventory at a specified time & rate would require less processing I'd think

3 As @George Catcher said, it wouldn't be visually appealing

If they want the person owning it to be able to monopolize the resource(s) as some type of method to encourage trade i guess A would be the choice. I suspect B will be the solution and thats what the players would want.

18 hours ago, Gindorf said:

Well they certainly have my attention. Ive always thought the focus should be having crew to work your island instead of tames. Hopefully this is a step in that direction.

This.

When they announced the game and said that they would not want animals to have such a big role in this game, I was quite surprised that after a few weeks they made the animals very OP.

To have land houses or lumberjack houses in the future to replace the animals is a good thing imo. You can assign crew to farming/woodcutting/fishing and each crew member will cost gold, the more crew the more you pay - then we finally have something more to spend our gold on. 

Yeh except there isn't that much to spend your gold on, that's why megas end up with loadsa wonga.

15 hours ago, Ranger1k said:

Dueling-invitational 1v1 PvP

Dueling? 1v1??? What do the other 98 people do? You are not even trying to cater to the mega tribes now.

Try again with something that would appease the megas and shit on solo or small groups, then GS might consider it.

Like this for example:

Make a sniper rifle that can one shot kill a player only when you have 49 friends in a radius of 50m around you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Percieval said:

This.

When they announced the game and said that they would not want animals to have such a big role in this game, I was quite surprised that after a few weeks they made the animals very OP.

To have land houses or lumberjack houses in the future to replace the animals is a good thing imo. You can assign crew to farming/woodcutting/fishing and each crew member will cost gold, the more crew the more you pay - then we finally have something more to spend our gold on. 

If it works out this way I will be happy yes but more PvE content needs to be implemented if they are moving everything automated. I agree with using the gold to fund these things as there is little to spend it on right now.

I'd be happy if they took the whole animals out altogether and use more NPC for different things, won't need the animals if it gets to the point of having resources gathered for you. Could have NPC to actually fight with you. Not seeing any information other than warehouse and farmhouse right now though.

Devs are going to make the No Mans Sky game repair look like peanuts compared to this. Im so excited. AMAZING changes. This will always be a PVP game, but as far as im concerned, even in PVE these are HUGE QOL improvents. Giving us time to build more, fight more, enjoy more.

Im over 3k Hours WITH taking season 3 halfway through off. LOVING THESE CHANGES KEEP GOING!

Strange thing is I haven't seen a pve player saying they should abandon pvp or implement loadsa nerfs that would make pvp rubbish. Weird how so many pvp players are hostile towards pve. Even though  imo  the devs are actually more suited to pve, as they haven't made a decent pvp side to a game yet.

• Like 1

I think nerfing animals completely is a terrible idea. Why not have multiple methods to achieve the same goal?... This leads to a richer player experience.

As a show of good faith, has anybody mentioned a "big game hunter" or "beast killer" option as a skill tree spec?

If a person attacks you w a tame, you could activate the associated feats and do increased damage or have increased defense or both etc. Theres PvE uses for this also. Another option is, once specced, have it always active..

Nerfing things, generally speaking, is a bad option, more of a last resort or temp fix imo. Far better to buff things or offer alternate solutions.

Edited by Ranger1k

We'll see how this goes!  1.  the amount of resources it gathers I doubt highly that will be enough for building projects like a Galleon!  2.   And this is an EASY one!  I predict it will from the start "block resources spawns"...watch...then they will take 2weeks too finally figure out how too code it so that won't happen.  This is their track record for this game.  But I do hope it all goes well first time around........I wouldn't hold my breath ROFL