Whats the deal? I feel it needs some attention.

I use the Sextant and get the buff. Sometimes I see the wreck spawn locations, sometimes I don't. Is it bugged? Hows it meant to work?

I sail around and go to the indicators and quite often I don't find anything at all. Sometimes i'm on my way to one and come across a wreck that wasn't even on my map? Seems the spawn locations are way off half the time and only a 50/50 chance they're even there. If its meant to mean a potential spawn location which may be on CD, OK I can live with that.

When I do come across a wreck i've spent ages searching for, recently I have found SOTD patrolling them (which there seem to be a lot of btw), sometimes they will eventually drift off if I wait long enough but have to wonder is it worth it, when you finally get to it and its only a 3. something quality which i'd say 70% of them seem to be.

Why can the spyglass not be used to check quality like you can with flotsam (which tbh isn't really worth your time on PVE), at least i'd know whether or not to waste my time on it?

The biggest kick in the teeth is getting that decent quality shipwreck, getting down to it, and finding it half clipped into the seabed with no way inside.

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg

I found a lvl 15 shipwreck clipped into the ground.  Spent like an hour trying to get that damn treasure but there was no way at all.

The flotsam they should either buff the gold or get rid of them.  I just run them over rather than stop.  I've tried grappling them as well just as a sort of fun mini-game while sailing but its nearly impossible at speed.  Hell even stopped with the waves moving them up and down.

• Haha 1

Grappled a flotsam on the fly while sailing 20 knots,... Once 😁

Felt like MJ for 30 seconds lol

• Haha 2

As far as I'm aware you only see the floating part of a ship wreck from a certain distance. some of the skills you can unlock increase that range.

Then as far as I know if you want to find out the quality you have to basically sail over it.

As you say, the annoying part is when you dive down and find it clipped in a way were you can't get to it.

However, the very first one I went to after the wipe was a 16.8 one! 🙂

You guys are trash at catching flotsam I can grab any at full speed on a galleon

AND yes I'm on the Xbox 

• Haha 2

Sextant's are bugged.  The only zone that the shipwreck location markers on the map will be accurate is the zone you started the buff in.  When you zone it will no longer be accurate.  

The Sextant-treasure-symbols on the map may be off for several reasons...

1. Others may be in the zone treasure hunting as well

2. Maybe a "wreck" (aka treasure spawn) occurred after equipping the buff. Its not a real time type of thing, more like a snap shot

3. I think OP alluded to this...perhaps, by design, its supposed to be a little or even alot off.. The idea being where a ship gets sunk and where it lands on the ocean floor would rarely line up due to ocean currents. I'm speculating on this one.. 

4. Perhaps also they don't broadcast every single one INTENTIONALLY to make it more difficult for a single player/ company to monopolize them. Another speculation..

When it was real bad i used to reset character via drowning and/ or change grids. Some grids definitely seemed terrible compared to most.

Regarding clipped ships i never was sure if that was a bug or designed as submarine-encouraging-content. Perhaps someone who has been playing since launch and used a sub can offer more concise insight. I was personally just annoyed i couldnt use an axe, crowbar or some widget to break into it... Or use a shovel to uncover an entrance. 😒

Regarding SotD i haven't played yet this season but my personal workaround was double-boxing. I frequently ran 2 accounts, a diver and a driver, and i used to send the diver down as the SotD began to reach the apex of furthest distance away. I only had to abandon my diver a couple of times to run away, due to being on a whaler.

I agree the treasure quality and loot table was annoying but, early game, for a noob who hated mapping it was a a godsend. I also agree about spyglass. Also i understand interpreting many aspects as bugs because they very well may be.

Sometimes this game feels alot closer to Alpha/Beta than what i would personally define as "pre release". For example when you "pre board" a plane they aren't still building the fuggin thing 🤣, although maybe @Chucksteak could back me up.. "pre-board" is a stupid word also...(old George Carlin bit)

Edited by Ranger1k

What Doc said is correct, The sextet buff only work in the grid you did the buff.  Honestly it seems kind of wonky for it to be tied to the sextet.  Shouldn't it be tied to the spyglass of all things?  Also, I think shipwrecks should also give per crafted items, not just prints.  Would be nice to do a shipwreck and get a complete sail, canon, or plank for my ship, not just blueprints.

I used to be half way specced into the Sextant and it worked after zoning as of 3rd Season in June.

I used it often while whaling. Is it blank after zoning or just inaccurate?

I used to get crafted items about 5-10% of the time. It was usually a building piece, i agree a ship part makes more sense

Edited by Ranger1k

Its inaccurate after zoning.  Sometimes there is a small cluster of 2-3 of them and you get there and there are none.  Sure someone might have grabbed them, but then you find a cluster of them and they do not show up on the map.  If I am hunting in a golden age I wait to get there before I pop the sextant buff so its accurate.  I've never seen it accurate if I started it before I zoned. 

3rd season in June things seemed acceptable, however, I was on NA, low pop and just using it when whaling had a lull.

On the occasion things felt glitchy, or, i needed info refreshed i stripped and punched a shark. 🤣

I've been doing shipwrecks this morning and came across 6 all which are bugged so I gave up with it. You dive down but when you get there you see the shipwreck only for huge rocks or floor covering the entrance to the chest.

I've been in every door, every opening around the ship and it's just blocked off, was like that on all 6 for me. They need to fix this, I don't spend the amount of time I used to on it just couple of hours here and there so I need the gold. I might have to sail further out tomorrow to see if I can find some that isn't bugged.

This game is not improving, it is going backwards, how hard is it to patch? Just give us regular bug fixes, so hard to ask?

The annoying thing about the ship wrecks is that because there are multiple versions of the shipwreck, with the treasure in different places, you can have a location were the ship is clipped into the sea bed but you can still access the treasure, however after someone has done that wreck the next one to spawn there could have the chest in a location you now can't get to, and therefore that spawn is blocked.

4 hours ago, Killer Keen said:

The annoying thing about the ship wrecks is that because there are multiple versions of the shipwreck, with the treasure in different places, you can have a location were the ship is clipped into the sea bed but you can still access the treasure, however after someone has done that wreck the next one to spawn there could have the chest in a location you now can't get to, and therefore that spawn is blocked.

I thought shipwreck spawns were completely random - hence how they clip into the sea, spawning on a spot that is not level.

3 hours ago, gadefence said:

I thought shipwreck spawns were completely random - hence how they clip into the sea, spawning on a spot that is not level.

It appears they are like treasure chest locations. They are at set locations on the map.    I used to "farm" the same 10 or so on B8 the last season.  Of course some days other beat me too them, but I knew where they should be, so would sail to them a few times each week to cover my crew bills. 

2 hours ago, Killer Keen said:

It appears they are like treasure chest locations. They are at set locations on the map.    I used to "farm" the same 10 or so on B8 the last season.  Of course some days other beat me too them, but I knew where they should be, so would sail to them a few times each week to cover my crew bills. 

That's honestly sad. I thought it just picked a random spot on land and that's why you ended up with insanely stupid chests and ships.

The fact they picked those locations is far dumber.

Today I accidentally got into lvl-16.1 shipwreck. They were not on the sextant map. I got 450 gold, mythic stone gate BP, and CRAB STEERING WHEEL! And this wheel is bugged. I put it in my storage box. After I died I found another crab wheel in my inventory. I put it in my storage box and there were 2 crab wheels. Then I died again. Now I have 3 crab wheels! lol!

Got quest completed. Didn't get any special skills tho...

Edited by George Catcher

1 hour ago, George Catcher said:

Today I accidentally got into lvl-16.1 shipwreck. They were not on the sextant map. I got 450 gold, mythic stone gate BP, and CRAB STEERING WHEEL! And this wheel is bugged. I put it in my storage box. After I died I found another crab wheel in my inventory. I put it in my storage box and there were 2 crab wheels. Then I died again. Now I have 3 crab wheels! lol!

Got quest completed. Didn't get any special skills tho...

Me to, got a 17.1 I think it was yesterday also got several crab wheels, sick of the sight of them 😆

I got the achievement but I didn't see anything listed in the quest screen, I don't think I got any benefit from it either, thought you got some sort of skill from it.

• Like 1

Crab wheel is your prize for doing a quality 16 or higher.  If you do not want to see it then click one of the options on the left side of your inventory window.  I forget what its called, but once you click that it and the other freebies like pirate hat are removed from the view.  Click again to bring them back. 

flotsam are great for food while sailing early game. unfortunately it's still faster and more efficient to die.

they just jumbled the map up. im honestly surprised shipwrecks are not spawning under islands or in the air.

22 hours ago, MOTIK said:

flotsam are great for food while sailing early game. unfortunately it's still faster and more efficient to die.

they just jumbled the map up. im honestly surprised shipwrecks are not spawning under islands or in the air.

Would worse death penalties alleviate this somewhat? Like losing one or several levels or somesuch?

i think it is more about the food and vitamin system being crazy unbalanced and less about death penalty.

eating 16 elephants worth of meat a day and drinking a 50 gallon barrel of water just to survive is a bit silly.

• Thanks 1