Sign in to follow this  
ATLAS

Ask A Pirate Day. Q&A With the Devs

Ahoy Pathfinders!

We appreciate all the feedback we have received, whether written by hardened sea dogs or those still getting their feet wet. We’re monitoring the waves in the Forums, Discord, Steam, Reddit, Youtube, Twitter, and Facebook. Even when we hit rocky shores, you’re there mannin’ the sails.  We’re excited to answer some questions that have popped up during our new journey in ATLAS Season 4: The Maelstrom and we hope you’re looking forward to all the new content that will be released in the coming months, like Trade Winds, Farms, Warehouses, 'n more!

Below are some questions & answers regarding the future development of ATLAS, straight from the seahorse’s mouth:

:anchor: Developer Q&A :anchor:

Question: I guess my main question would be about new PVP official servers. When you claim an island, is it safe for you or is it possible to be raided? I don't mind PVP at sea, but base raids suck. Just curious. Thanks.

Answer: Atlas is intended to be a game about pirates, and while our land-based combat is deep and rich, the new energy behind Atlas is to bring that depth and richness to sea as well.  More interesting interactions with the oceans and ships is where we are pointed and we'll be making a host of changes to drive more player energy in that direction. Look for our future development to lean towards creating opportunities for greater rewards and higher risks on the water with more opportunities for opt-in conflict.

Question: So, I believe that this is the first time that you've acknowledged "seasons". Are you guys considering regular wipes to ATLAS PVP? In many hardcore PVPers opinions, there should be, in order to keep the game fresh. It seems to drop off about 3-4 months in. Maybe a server to test out having regular wipes?

Answer: We agree that it's important for the health of a survival game to have energetic competition over resources, but we want to have our cake and eat it too.  So, we are looking for ways to keep these struggles fresh without completely tossing out player progress.  We think that coming at it from both sides and wiping when necessary while at the same time helping players hold on to their progress will lead to a vibrant environment of continuous conflict without stagnation.

Question: Will ATLAS be available on PS4?

Answer: For sure, we want Atlas to be accessible on as many platforms as possible.  We are considering whether that means trying to go to PS4 at the end of its life cycle or holding out for the PS5, which is not far off.  Until that decision is made, we are focusing on bringing all the new features to our existing players.

:wheel:

We hope that answered some of your lingering questions.  We have many more questions out there in the deep, and we plan to have Ask a Pirate Day regularly. Feel free to drop questions here or on our other social channels, and your question might get picked the next time around. 🙂

image.jpeg

Also, be sure to hashtag your screenshots with #PlayATLAS and tag us for a chance to be featured on our forum posts. Here's a screenshot by bombtrackbart on Twitter.

Happy Sailing,

- ATLAS Crew

:skull: For the latest dispatch on #playATLAS keep yer one good eye trained on this here information :skull:

Natter n' chatter on Discord: https://discord.gg/playatlas

Hear ye, hear ye on Twitter: https://twitter.com/sailtheatlas

Watch us scallywags on Twitch: http://twitch.tv/sailtheatlas

Plus ye can band with us Pirates on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/playatlasgame

View full article

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, yeahboyman said:

Yeah this ain't it chief, these are definitely not the questions people are currently asking.

This. I guess they had to add in some made up questions (or at the very least picked the easiest questions to answer) to distract us from the failure of a patch they just put out. You guys realize your "ground work" patch broke the game more, right?

• Like 2

Amazing, a 3 question pyrate Q and A ? Where you pick and choose what questions you answer ? To make the player base feel like they are included ? And you're serious ? Mr Anderson, we have a problem.

Edited by Whitehawk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Since you said ask questions, here they are...

1. Is the PvE aspect of the game ever going to be expanded? Is it on hold? Or is it being pulled?

2. Unofficial Server Customization. Will crossplay servers ever get to adjust settings during set up such as those for ship weights, item stacking, character stats?

3. Will the 120 level cap on creatures be adjusted, or set to be adjusted, so those who would like to play a bit more with breeding be allowed to do so?

These are just a few that I was asked when I hosted a cluster. So I thought I would pass them along. 

1. When can we get the devkit updated?  It hasn't been touched since last October and is missing many, many updates since the update that made cats availble.  Now, with the Int32 mod id issue (Ark just resolved it), no new mods can be created and used on unofficial servers.  So, it's really broken now for any new mod development.
  2. When can you fix custom mapping in the devkit and unofficial server?  It just doesn't work.  Some have tried to do part of the work in Ark and port it over but nearly everyone struggles with getting it to load into a custom map.  Even the example map extension isn't even in the kit anymore.  Just an empty folder.
  3. Are there any plans to improve communication with the modding community?  If so, what can we expect?
  4. Are there any plans to offer a sponsored mod program similar to Ark?
  5. Are there any plans to improve communication with the unofficial server admin community?  A significant % of active and loyal Atlas players in the community spend their time on unofficial servers.  It's been more than official in the past 6 months.  If so, what can we expect?

• Thanks 4

53 minutes ago, SapphireSam7 said:

Since you said ask questions, here they are...

1. Is the PvE aspect of the game ever going to be expanded? Is it on hold? Or is it being pulled?

2. Unofficial Server Customization. Will crossplay servers ever get to adjust settings during set up such as those for ship weights, item stacking, character stats?

3. Will the 120 level cap on creatures be adjusted, or set to be adjusted, so those who would like to play a bit more with breeding be allowed to do so?

These are just a few that I was asked when I hosted a cluster. So I thought I would pass them along. 

1. They mentioned that they'll work more on the PvE gameplay in the future.
  2. Can't do ship weights or item stacking now.... both of those would be welcome for all unofficial servers.
  3. You can do this already with a combination of difficultyoverride and island settings.

Can we get Jerboa's as a new tame from Scorched Earth Ark DLC?

I believe they will be awesome and practical to have to tell us about incoming weather while we are sailing and they will make the best and cutest shipmates a pirate could ever ask for!

• Like 1

Are we ever getting new ships?

Are you ever going to increase the structure limit on ships?

Above you mentioned PS5, any plans to delv into an upgraded Atlas version on Unreal 5?

Edited by Stabby
  • Like 1

SPAWNS!
From day 1 spawns have been a problem. With the latest wipe even more so.
This could take you a day to fix :( and we have been complaining about it till the cows come home.
1. Too many snakes.
2. If you spawn a strawberry, let it BE a strawberry.
3. If you spawn fibre, let it BE fibre.
4. Ruby is not a crystal. If you spawn a ruby let it BE a ruby.
In some areas where you have the same spawned plant next to each other yet you can have 3 different items from berry to fibre.
Please keep it real - it makes for a more pleasant experience.

• Like 1

You are aware that your game has low population because single players and small groups have no way to save their progress? People who want to play Atlas just a couple times a week have to rebuild their bases AND ships every time, tame new creatures, because everything is destroyed after a couple days of absence and it sucks. Why can't you allow players to upload their ships and tames to the cloud for safekeeping? 

Do you have any plans to add changes to lawless? on lawless you can raid people very easy, you can put mortars almost everywhere, or put a cannon right next to you enemy. New players aren't aware that lawless is currently suicidal to build on and it's ends up discouraging new players from continueing to play if they get raided on lawless.

Is it possible to let seagulls detect SOTD and/or weatherchanges? ( Like jerboas in ARK) 

Like sailing into fog, with cyclones allover, it would be nice to have some sort of detection/sonar.

i was hyped a tiny bit when i read about the new map after the game got abandoned by the devs for months. i thought maybe, just maybe this might turn around and maybe they really worked for a few months to make it all better...i still like the idea of the game and had really great hours in it...but since the decisions made with the first wipe everything after was just poor quality. then the quality of this last patch and the quality of this Q&A is just the same trash as before....

i really wish you luck sailing this into release state harbour ^^ sadly such a gem got so mismanaged that it's just frustrating.

Edited by Xenom

Ouch, three softball questions.

Though the plan is to save player progress to some extent, they're not ruling out more wipes in the future. Maybe this is why they aren't punishing exploiters - "we'll wipe again anyway."

Swing and a miss, big time.

Cyclones. Why? Ladders, can we get some for boats that we are able to climb?

Edited by Paper Bobbit

What about glass in the game u know for windows n stuff, I mean they do have glass windows in ark after all. Btw paper, sometimes u need to jump up on a ladder then click climb.

judging by this lame QA and reading the comments, i think i had made a good choice staying away this new season and not risk wasting my time and disappointment again lol.

Here's a real question.

1. Please explain the "trade winds". Is it automated shipping where we can put NPC's on the wheel, plot a course and send the npc controlled boat to a distant grid? Or is it just a patch of water you can go faster on or have better wind in? cause we need to know. automated shipping would revolutionise this games economy, piracy, war and bring vast amounts of player driven content to the game..."better wind patches" is boring and not worth anyone's time and i personally will not be coming back for anything less than automated shipping.

I don't know about the trade winds, but my galleon in sp is now slower, I used to get 12 knots now it does 9 - 10.

Perfect Q & A? No.

Step in the right direction? Yes, absolutely yes.

Heres my question..rough estimates acceptable

How often will Q & A posts occur?

Sidenote... Shout out to Bluestone for trying to answer some questions on occasion here recently also 😉

Ty, have a good day

Edited by Ranger1k

Will there ever be an option to seat and unseat crew from cannons and sails from the wheel from radial menu?

Like if i sink a SOTD and recuit 5 crew and get them on board, i would like to jump on wheel and use radial menu to toggle man cannons and all free crew jump on any unmanned cannons on ship or same for sails and other unmanned stations.

Instead of having to drag crew up n down galleon to respectful places.

Edited by Depthbysoul
  • Like 1

asked in a twitter reply as well but might as well make sure it doesn't get missed.
How would a modder go about adding a table to, and accessing a dedicated server's database to allow that data to be accessed in multiple cells pretty much simultaneously?
it could also work setting up another database along side it, but as long as the tables don't collide i don't see where adding it to the main one would much of a problem.