Sign in to follow this  
Shepard_Fury

Ship sails, changes we need!

Hello Everyone,

I think the game new devs should rethink the whole speed sail idea. Having different sail types is a great idea but i don't think they should impact speed.

Right now we have Speed sails, handling sails and weight sails. Weight sails are never used and handling are super strong when you get +20% acceleration. Because for some strange reason acceleration makes the top speed as fast as speed sails. This makes it so people who lives in the game an farm a lot can have a clear ship superiority when fighting. Great for crushing the hopes and dreams of new people in the game but not a great game mechanic for interesting game play!

I would like to suggest trowing the speed sails in the bin. Make all sail types have the same top speed and replace the current speed sail with a new type of acceleration sail. You can keep the look of the speed sail just rename it to acceleration sail. Then remove the acceleration stat form the handling sail. Handling would still give better handling for your ship and give you the better wind angle.

This should make the different sail types viable and you can then easily make more interesting sail types. You could make an "armored sail" that again has the same top speed as the other sails but has more hp and is more resistant to sail damage. This make it different but still something you can use if you want and all the sail types are now something that can be changed to your play style and type of ship you like.

Just a note: Weight sails would also benefit form a change to the stat it gives to weight, consider giving it a % bonus to weight. If it has the same top speed as the rest of the sails then they will finally be used. Maybe even in some heavy combat ships or large fortress like ships 😉 They would be bad a turning and accelerate like a brick but could be fun 😄

What do people think about this idea of making all sail types have the same max speed? Do you have some interesting ideas for new sail types you could make for the game?
Give me your opinion and like this post if you think this might be a better way of having the sails work in the game.

Please remember, i am writing this to help improve the game not to hurt anyone's feelings.

Best regard
Jack Shepard

Edited by Shepard_Fury
  • Like 1

I personally think that instead of whole sail with masts, cables, ropes, DEVs should:

1) - Introduce RIGGING for every ship. We build ONE PIECE of rigging and put in the only spot on a ship. 

Rigging contains all masts, ladders, ropes, cables, and SAIL SPOTS.

2) - In loom we build just sails (with no masts just sailyard and sail itself). We choice square and triangle sails. First provide best downwind speed. Triangle - best wing angles (as they were in real life). 

3) - We put sails we choose in to the sail spots of rigging.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, George Catcher said:

I personally think that instead of whole sail with masts, cables, ropes, DEVs should:

1) - Introduce RIGGING for every ship. We build ONE PIECE of rigging and put in the only spot on a ship. 

Rigging contains all masts, ladders, ropes, cables, and SAIL SPOTS.

2) - In loom we build just sails (with no masts just sailyard and sail itself). We choice square and triangle sails. First provide best downwind speed. Triangle - best wing angles (as they were in real life). 

3) - We put sails we choose in to the sail spots of rigging.

I really like that idea m8, thanks for explaining it so well 🤎

It would also be a lot better if you never really lost your mast completely, so you don't have to replace them with new pre build mast but could always repair the broken mast instead.

Edited by Shepard_Fury
wanted to add repair of mast.
  • Like 1

I really like the idea of the top speed being the same, but the acceleration would really need to be tuned so that there is a clear benefit to the speed sails acceleration.

I could see this being a positive change.

• Like 1