Sign in to follow this  
Vadearlst

99-100% GPU Usage, Any Fix?

Basically my PC smells like it's burning, and i can't get my GPU usage below 95% for some reason. None of the settings affect the GPU usage at all. Using a GTX970 and yes i can play other games like COD:MW and Hunt:Showdown perfectly fine.

Does anybody know of a fix or modded settings to fix it?

This game is very GPU intensive.  Especially running it in 4K like I am.  First try setting every setting to the lowest level and turn them up as you go.  I know you're not going to want to hear it but a 970 is super old.  That's getting close to 4 generations behind.  Running your GPU at 100% all the time shouldn't cause it any problems unless you have very poor ventilation.  I was doing the F@H Covid-19 protein folding project and I had my GPUs and CPUs  maxed out as long as they had work for it for many months.  The 2080ti FE does have a very shitty stock fan curve.  It would rev on and off every 10 seconds from 60% to 100%.  If you get MSI Afterburner you can make your own fan profile and if you are really concerned about the heat you can set a max temperature for it to throttle down your GPU if you want the fans to run more quietly.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, McDangles said:

This game is very GPU intensive.  Especially running it in 4K like I am.  First try setting every setting to the lowest level and turn them up as you go.  I know you're not going to want to hear it but a 970 is super old.  That's getting close to 4 generations behind.  Running your GPU at 100% all the time shouldn't cause it any problems unless you have very poor ventilation.  I was doing the F@H Covid-19 protein folding project and I had my GPUs and CPUs  maxed out as long as they had work for it for many months.  The 2080ti FE does have a very shitty stock fan curve.  It would rev on and off every 10 seconds from 60% to 100%.  If you get MSI Afterburner you can make your own fan profile and if you are really concerned about the heat you can set a max temperature for it to throttle down your GPU if you want the fans to run more quietly.

using stock fans so that's bad, but i'm mainly paranoid because it smelt like melting plastic/wires this morning. Also the only time it changes from being on 100% GPU Usage, is when i put the game down to like 420p with 0% Resolution Scale. the settings make no difference at all for some reason.
Also it literally says in-game that High Settings = GTX970 or better as an example lul.

But yeah imma just buy a new GPU in2-3 weeks, any recommendations as  an upgrade?

Edited by Vadearlst
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Vadearlst said:

Basically my PC smells like it's burning, and i can't get my GPU usage below 95% for some reason. None of the settings affect the GPU usage at all. Using a GTX970 and yes i can play other games like COD:MW and Hunt:Showdown perfectly fine.

Does anybody know of a fix or modded settings to fix it?

If you don't limit the frames or your gfx can't reach the fps cap its going to work at 100%. But as long as you have sufficient cooling it shouldnt be a problem.

If you really want to do something about it you could cap your fps in the nvidia control panel > manage 3d settings > program settings > probably have to add atlas > Max Frame rate

• Thanks 1

I was using gtx 970 a year ago as well it was bad enough back then.

I since upgraded to rtx 2080 and even that throws the heat out and can hear fans going. Usually I turn settings down abit, had so much lag on 4k when there is alot of structures.

Always been the same with this game, should not have to lower settings, its on their end.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DannyUK said:

I was using gtx 970 a year ago as well it was bad enough back then.

I since upgraded to rtx 2080 and even that throws the heat out and can hear fans going. Usually I turn settings down abit, had so much lag on 4k when there is alot of structures.

Always been the same with this game, should not have to lower settings, its on their end.

It's not super bad in 1440p, but 2160p I struggle to maintain close to 60 fps sometimes.  In a built up area, forget it.  We're talking 30-40 fps depending on exactly how built up.  I just set my temp to 80 degrees C in Afterburner just so the fans aren't revving their nuts off all the time.  The area I set up camp in is not built up at all yet and I can usually average 60-70 fps in 2160p.  If it starts to get built up at some point I may switch back down to 1440p.

Edited by McDangles
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Pant said:

If you don't limit the frames or your gfx can't reach the fps cap its going to work at 100%. But as long as you have sufficient cooling it shouldnt be a problem.

If you really want to do something about it you could cap your fps in the nvidia control panel > manage 3d settings > program settings > probably have to add atlas > Max Frame rate

Thanks, i'm down to like 35% usage now i've capped my FPS

• Like 1