Sign in to follow this  
Atlaneer

Taming needs a revamp

Taming desperately needs a complete revamp it's bugged like god knows what and is a complete pain in the ass tbh

5 hours ago, Charlie Manx said:

is there a bug with tier 3 taming cause nothing will tame

the whole taming system is a collection of bugs/poorly developed features

• Like 3

I just tamed my first bear since the wipe.  I dread it every time.  10 deaths.  Bed hit reset timer a few times.  Elephant came over and stood on the bear's head.  I think it would be mostly okay if the feeding mechanic wasn't so boned.  Tames sometimes just rotate on their own.  They are cool feeding from a certain angle, but you use that same angle next time and they bone you.  Why do we have to piss off and nearly kill the animal, then bola it, and expect it to let us feed by hand?  Even by drunk pirate terms that's idiotic.  Can't we just have like food on a stick or throw food at it?  Maybe a feeding trough to drop down in front of it?  It doesn't seem terribly hard to implement and I don't understand why they've left it the same for so long.  

• Like 2

This system has been inadequate and bugged since the game was released and it's only gotten worse.

Tames clip into terrain and continuously shift around and attack you. I believe that the current system checks for clipping issues every 5-10 seconds and that's what causes the spinning shit. 

Tames are out of sync between my system and the server so the position displayed on my screen is not the true position, thus I can't feed them. 

This is the same backbone as ARK (as evidenced by the many resources that are duplicated between the games) so just bring in the knockout/torpor system of ARK and be done with it already. I like that system much better than this stupid bola and countdown system. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sydhart said:

This is the same backbone as ARK (as evidenced by the many resources that are duplicated between the games) so just bring in the knockout/torpor system of ARK and be done with it already. I like that system much better than this stupid bola and countdown system. 

Yeah, fuck Arks taming system.

I like the knock down, feed system. Much faster (key here) and more engaging than Arks. They do need to fix the location dsnyc and glitchyness, but bringing in the Ark system isnt the solution.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gindorf said:

I like the knock down, feed system. Much faster (key here) and more engaging than Arks. They do need to fix the location dsnyc and glitchyness, but bringing in the Ark system isnt the solution.

Dark and Light (their other game) had a far better system IMO, similar to Ark but much faster and more interactive. You could choose to club them down or use the arrows to lock them down.

12 minutes ago, Gindorf said:

I don't mind the ARK system. It's a little boring and monotonous but at least it works consistently. Considering they haven't figured out how to fix the desync issue with this system in a year and a half, I don't think they'll be able to. Obviously we've found workarounds for most things but man of man can it be frustrating early on.

For instance, after I talked to you yesterday, I found a max level bear in C7 and tried to tame him. Set up a simple ramp trap but the stupid thing kept glitching and killing me since I can't make plate yet and was solo. I finally gave up because of the time it was taking with no taming bonus active and was losing taming efficiency. Searched for a long time and it was frustrating to have him keep glitching. I slammed my first so hard on my desk that I cracked the top. Usually bears aren't that bad but it seems worse now or maybe it was my trap since I had to put it up quickly.

Anyways, it would just be easier if you bring me a bear Gin! I'm in C7 atm.  🙂

Edited by Sydhart

7 minutes ago, Sydhart said:

Snip

Talk to speed man, hes been doing all that bear taming. Ive been busy dying ever 3rd feed to Eles/Girs.

Its a pita but honestly after the 1st its even easier since you can free tame off the back of a bear. Giraffee and Eles are terrible, but i think thats the nature of the beast plus said glitches.

Im ok with some kind of tranq, the issue w arks system is the 4-12+ IRL hours to tame shit. 10-20 min is ok, much more than that and I lose interest.

I think the real solution for Atlas is a limiting of tames (kill the 6x etc) and focus on lumber mills/mines/automated gathering via crew. Gets you off islands, more out to sea (since the crew is gathering)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sydhart said:

so just bring in the knockout/torpor system of ARK and be done with it already. I like that system much better than this stupid bola and countdown system. 

That would be 10 times better than what we currently have, especially if they can't think of a better taming system.

I think the whole community agrees the taming system is horrendous. It is even more hated than the vitamin system. And it is so hated because we have to find ways to overcome all the glitches/nonsense if we want to succeed on the taming process, and death is usually inevitable.

• Like 1

Yes it's poorly designed, I agree with most other people. I've never known pirates to run around on animals though, they've only put them in because they had to fill the coding gap because it's already incorporated in Ark code. All they've done is change it from dinosaurs to bears and such.

I can tame them myself but it takes me time, I need to have the skills to unlock the armour. I don't mind taming the bears or tigers without armour though it's the elephant, rhino and giraffe I don't like. If you play solo it's a pain in the ass to tame giraffe but I manage it eventually. 

This time around I can't even be bothered to tame them, I'm just saving up the money to buy them, all I'm after is low level animals to collect resources.

Found a lvl 24 bear this morning.  I tried to tame it and the first two feedings went without a hitch.  3rd feeding the assbag bit me twice and I was done.  I hit respawn and it didn't respawn me at my bed but on the other side of the island.  Rageface.  I just went back and killed the bear and took down my trap.  I was taming off the back of another bear.  Get the bear down and throw bola.  I heard this was a good way to do it because the bear keeps aggro on your other bear and doesn't bite you.  That is definitely not true.  Also I'm guessing you can't feed without getting off the bear.

Honestly I'm only after tames for resource collection at this point.  I'll probably just ask around and buy an elephant and giraffe in the zone once I get enough gold from diving.  Ugh.  Also found a lvl 12 shipwreck that was bugged in the terrain which blocked the entrance.  The only other game I have this same kind of love hate relationship with is DayZ.

yeah they have definitly become a LOT more aggressive on this map...
never had any issues before , now im bearchow no matter where i stand , did manage to get it tamed but multiple deaths , im dreading trying an elephant...or gods forbid a giraffe

@McDangles

Tamed 3 bears (from a bear) yesterday and it worked as expected. Once bolad move the bear 10-15 yds away and come up from the right side of the bear. Just close enough to feed.

I tend to back away after that, but did watch a company member just sit in that spot too.

Those tames were a vacation compared to the eles/girs

@Derfel

yeah w/o using a bear they like to chomp but once you have 1 bear it should be easier.

On Eles/Giraffees be ready to die. Alot.

Definitely helps to have other people there ready to jump in for a feed when you get killed. Naked I usually get 3 feeds in before a death, make sure you have 2 beds nearby.

Edited by Gindorf
i spel gud

8 hours ago, Gindorf said:

@McDangles

Tamed 3 bears (from a bear) yesterday and it worked as expected. Once bolad move the bear 10-15 yds away and come up from the right side of the bear. Just close enough to feed.

I tend to back away after that, but did watch a company member just sit in that spot too.

Those tames were a vacation compared to the eles/girs

I've watched so many videos specifically on bear taming with conflicting information.  It depends who you ask on which is the easiest way.  I have tried almost all of them.  The one thing I haven't tried is taming without a trap of any sort.  That logic sort of makes sense that maybe they are trying to bite the trap and its just coincidence and also that they spin around because of it.  Since I already have a bear it seems like that would be pretty easy to try.

This isn't the first bear I've tamed.  I've tamed probably about 5 or so.  Most of them are scrubby lvl 10 or less.  I would love to get a couple higher and start breeding again but alas this island I'm on seems to have no berries to keep a bear army fed.  I've been looking around these new (to me) islands and I don't see huge berry fields like I had on L7.

Edited by McDangles

@McDangles

Yes my 1st bear is always a trap w lots of deaths, after that its open taming/no pen.

It looks like they fixed the flight mechanics, season 3 they would get up and always run away, now they usually come after your bear when they get up.

If the biome is right, just grow a crapton of potatoes.

Edited by Gindorf

Eles is a timing thing, but darn those bloody longnecks. No matter how fast you are, 9 out of 8 times you dont get to press e. Maybe we should have lasered bolas?