Question for the developers:

In the patch notes 406.7 it says that certain islands were removed from the build and others added.

I checked the islands that you added to the build and found that they all had been in the ServerGridEditor at least since november '19 already. So I guess by 'added' you meant added to the official map, not to the game itself where they were already.

Anyway: Having  a private 4x4 grid with a custom-designed map I was rather unpleasantly surprised by your announcement that I should do a wipe and remove the islands that you took from the build.

The reason this surprise is such a nuisance is that it has taken months to find out which islands to put on the grid to have all resources. You know perfectly well that you haven't given us any documentation on which resources are one which islands so that we can design our grids. We have to find that all out ourselves by trial and error. It is a lot of effort and takes a long time.

I finally had a map that was working very well, had all the resources, all the powerstones, the cave and the central maw.

And then you nonchalantly destroy it.

I can't just take the islands out and add others: since we do not know which islands have the same resources as the ones you took out I would have to test again for a long time to find replacements. Ontop of that changing the islands means a wipe.

You could have left the islands in the build after all. No one forces you to take them out. Leaving them in costs you nothing. If you want to change the official server map you can do that by just not placing the islands there anymore. But you don't have to take them out of the grid editor and game completely. And ruin our hard work with a stroke of your pencil. Or click of your button rather.

I buy the game, I support the game, I tell my friends about it, I put lots and lots of work into it, building a map (without documentation), invest a lot of money in a rack server to run 16 grid servers, not to mention the electricity cost. And then you just click your button.

Please understand that I haven't yet given up on the game. But you really are making it hard.

So my question is: Can you please put those islands back in? You still don't have to put them on your official map if you don't want them there. Just put them back into the game as an option for us to use. Please.

• Like 1

I agree 100%.  Some of the islands removed are truly beloved on my server.  Basically the devs gave unofficial server owners very little warning about this.  Let's be honest, it's the unofficial servers that have been keeping this game afloat all of these months, and now you just gut them overnight?  Please add the removed islands back, or at least package them so we can add them back ourselves.

I have a 4x4 grid running on decent hardware. I am using basically the vanilla template provided by grapeshot for the 4x4. @ARMIS is there a better place to go to get a more complete map like you mention? I'm staring down a wipe and would like to do the best I can here, are there resources? Appreciate any advice you have.

All of my freeports are gone, how do I tell which islands to place back in, or can you toggle anything as a freeport?

On 7/7/2020 at 3:39 AM, yaK said:

I have a 4x4 grid running on decent hardware. I am using basically the vanilla template provided by grapeshot for the 4x4. @ARMIS is there a better place to go to get a more complete map like you mention? I'm staring down a wipe and would like to do the best I can here, are there resources? Appreciate any advice you have.

All of my freeports are gone, how do I tell which islands to place back in, or can you toggle anything as a freeport?

Ah, sorry - I just found your question today.

Here are the answers:

1) Place for maps: I know of no better place to get a map. I created my own 4x4, using the ServerGridEditor. That is fun - except that there is no official documentation about resources. And Grapeshot changed the resources in the latest patch. That means all resource lists that the player community made were voided by Grapeshot.

(Question: How are people called who do something like this to their community? And without displaying any sort of sympathy even?)

2) Freeports:

First make a copy of your ServerGrid.json (or whatever your map is called) and save it under a different name. So you have a backup in case something goes wrong.

Now open your ServerGrid.json (or whatever your map is called) in the ServerGridEditor. On the right is the list of all available islands. You can recognize the freeport islands by their ending: ..._E (not EE). Now place new freeports on the map on your home server grid.

If you want them to be in the exact same map spot as the old freeport islands that Grapeshot removed, do the following:

a) open your old, unedited map in the ServerGridEditor (using the old islands.json !! -not the new one that they provided us the download link for when 406.7 hit) and look in the island list to the right, write down which freeports you had - you see that by their ending _E. (Example: One of the freeports I had was the island with the giant skull that they removed. I see on the map in the ServerGridEditor that it was called: Cay_H_WR_E).

b) now open the ServerGrid.json (or what your map is called) in the windows editor (or any other text editor), use the search function to find your old freeport island in the .json, look for its coordinates. (Example: I search for Cay_H_WR_E in the text editor and find it. Now I scroll down until I see 'worldx', 'worldy' and 'rotation for that island. I copy these 3 lines.)

c) now put the new islands.json that they gave us the download link for with 406.7 into the folder 'data' in your servergrideditor directory (save the old island.json under a different name first in case you need it again). Then add your new freeport island to your home server (must be the same grid server as the old map of course) in the ServerGridEditor. Save map.

d) and then open the edited ServerGrid.json (or what your map is called) in a text editor, search for your new freeport island's name, again scroll down to 'worldx' etc, then replace  worldx, worldy and rotation with the data from your old island. Save.

e) open the servergrid.json again in the ServerGridEditor and look at the map to make sure the island is still there and now in the same location as the old one. Save.

Now you can run your map again with the changed freeport in the same location.

Warning concerning buildings:

If you had buildings and flags on the old island then remove those before you swap out the islands. That's because the new island may have another shape or - even if it has the same shape - have other stuff on it (rocks, mountains) and in different places. So the old buildings risk being in the wrong places for the new island and maybe mess up your database. Remove them first. Better safe than sorry.

Edited by [*TGC*] Amris