ATLAS

ATTN: Custom Servers - Changes to the map in The Maelstrom

Please read my posts. I do NOT want their map.

I want them to come clean about the reasons for removing assets from the game and forcing unofficial servers to wipe - the game is full of unused assets, everything from ARK stuff, through to the islands they just 'added to the build' but have actually been present all along - it was done to force unofficials to wipe at the same time they are, and it's a massive douchebag move.

To then make a post directed specifically at 'Custom Servers' that talks about adding islands to a build they (understandably) cannot access, just rubs salt into the wound of being forced by them into this position.

Do you understand where I am coming from now? I re-iterate, I do NOT want their map, and I understand why they cannot release it.

The issue is that they used their new map - the one we cannot have, and for a good while if they want to remain safe on official - as a way of forcing unofficial to follow suit with a wipe when we are not going to be able to make use of anything they have done.

12 minutes ago, dtmaster said:

The problem is that they won't give it to us afterwards. Until it was released, some of them had shut down their servers because they were not running. Do you really believe that the servers go on and already give them out? And the argument that you can see all the islands etc. and know where something is .. The official map up to now is in the grid editor.

Nobody cares about the map from until now...Megas care about the new layout...its called intelligence until the official release.

12 minutes ago, w4stedspace said:

Please read my posts. I do NOT want their map.

I want them to come clean about the reasons for removing assets from the game and forcing unofficial servers to wipe - the game is full of unused assets, everything from ARK stuff, through to the islands they just 'added to the build' but have actually been present all along - it was done to force unofficials to wipe at the same time they are, and it's a massive douchebag move.

To then make a post directed specifically at 'Custom Servers' that talks about adding islands to a build they (understandably) cannot access, just rubs salt into the wound of being forced by them into this position.

Do you understand where I am coming from now? I re-iterate, I do NOT want their map, and I understand why they cannot release it.

The issue is that they used their new map - the one we cannot have, and for a good while if they want to remain safe on official - as a way of forcing unofficial to follow suit with a wipe when we are not going to be able to make use of anything they have done.

We had the last SGE very shortly after the last mega update and our server was up within hours. I'm already building a new map using the islands.json (to be sure I don't use removed assets). I probably won't be able to export it until the updated SGE is released but I can have it built. You have almost everything you need to get your server ready right now.

• Like 1

Sure if you want to wipe.... Shouldn't need to wipe unofficial is the point. Why remove assets? It makes no sense. 

If the islands weren't removed then unofficials wouldn't need to wipe. 

I don't understand why there is any pushback against this, leaving them in would have no effect on official servers and that seem to be what W4sted is saying. He doesn't care about the new islands or map, he was wondering why they were removed forcing a wipe of unofficial.

• Like 1

This should be a surprise to no one. One day we had NA-PVE, then we didn’t. Zero warning. They hate us. I will be restarting for the 4th time tonight at midnight on official (maybe) Why? Because I love abuse. I asked yesterday if this was going to happen to private servers and I got a shoulder shrug. I’m sorry that I like this game more than the people that made it.

• Like 1

While Grapeshot are willing to just delete a server (bye bye NA PVE) without warning - I have more dedication to my playerbase than that. This isn't about making a new map - as I've said repeatedly, it's about why are they forcing us to wipe by removing game assets?

Are your players hyped to have their stuff wiped outside of their control with barely any warning, and get to start again on a map that contains nothing we didn't have already? I know mine aren't...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bliss72 said:

Sure if you want to wipe.... Shouldn't need to wipe unofficial is the point. Why remove assets? It makes no sense. 

If the islands weren't removed then unofficials wouldn't need to wipe. 

I don't understand why there is any pushback against this, leaving them in would have no effect on official servers and that seem to be what W4sted is saying. He doesn't care about the new islands or map, he was wondering why they were removed forcing a wipe of unofficial.

I think they hope to go back to the Official Server. 😂

• Haha 1

Come on guys really?? The Map is already in your game!! 11X11 why don't you look and not moan on the forums.

• Haha 1

Yeh I mean what makes you think you all have the right of free speech (or text anyway)?

10 hours ago, Sparky81 said:

Come on guys really?? The Map is already in your game!! 11X11 why don't you look and not moan on the forums.

our map already exists, we DONT WANT THEIRS. but because they removed islands we're using instead of just leaving them be we have only 2 options, restart everything, or tell everyone not to update and say tough shit to anyone who already has. which is bullshit of the highest order. i mean they cant even claim it's clearing bloat when they have tone of ark shit that could be cleared long before that.

10 hours ago, Whitehawk said:

Yeh I mean what makes you think you all have the right of free speech (or text anyway)?

free speech is only valid in public places in America, NOT privately owned spaces, eg forums, coffee shops, or anywhere online.

Edited by Wolfgar

America? Is that the only country in the world with free speech? Or do you think it is the only country in the world? Try not to be so narrow minded and stick to Atlas game talk eh.

oh sorry for not having the entire legal system of all 195 countries in the world fully memorized. (sarcasm)

and yeah, i'll try that, just like you did...

Is it really necessary to wipe a private server? I´ve replaced the missing islands and everything seem to work quite OK - old treasure maps are trash but new ones work.

The only problem is that some ressources have changed and some captions are wrong (sandstone vs. granite for example) - as some people even found ARK-ressources on the official servers I hope this problem will be fixed.

Or will I have to wipe to get rid of that problem? 😞

I run a vanilla 4x4 that was created by grapeshot and distributed with ServerGridEditor. Now, many islands are missing, including some where I had stuff - those just appear like a desert - new terrain, no spawns or resources, but the structures are still there. All freeport islands are gone, that cell is empty. Will we get a new ServerGridEditor and some base maps like a refreshed 4x4? I was planning on adding in islands where they are missing, but no idea how it will react where i have stuff already. Also, how do I remake the freeports? I've heard the base 4x4 was missing stuff anyway, is there a good guide somewhere that I should be reading? Thanks in advance!

5 hours ago, yaK said:

Now, many islands are missing, including some where I had stuff - those just appear like a desert - new terrain, no spawns or resources, but the structures are still there. 

The first step is cleaning the islands - transfer any creature and all the important ressources to a ship and then destroy all buildings.  Make sure the ship are some miles away from the coast line...

5 hours ago, yaK said:

Will we get a new ServerGridEditor and some base maps like a refreshed 4x4? I was planning on adding in islands where they are missing, but no idea how it will react where i have stuff already.

There´s a new island.json: http://cdn.atlasdedicated.com/islands.json to be placed in the data-directory. After that, the faulty islands are not available any more and you can replace them with other islands of the same type - I´ve used same sizes to avoid changeing discovery zones.

Existing buildings will be stuck somewhere in the ground or the air so it´s important to clean the islands first.

5 hours ago, yaK said:

Also, how do I remake the freeports? I've heard the base 4x4 was missing stuff anyway, is there a good guide somewhere that I should be reading? Thanks in advance!

Do the same as above - there are four different freeports left in the new json with the ending "_E" 

I replaced all island via texteditor (copy&paste) and apart from some bugs with some ressource everything looks quite OK and I really hope I don´t need to wipe.

Doing it with the grideditor only might work as well, but be sure to have a copy of your servergrid.json! Changeing the number of islands might result in database-errors and then the server has to be wiped.

A complete map should have 9 Powerstone-Islands (_PVE), 9 Unterwater-Trenches, a grid for the Kraken and the ice-cave-island. It´s a hell of work doing this from the scratch.
I´ve used the 3*3 Mythic Seas-Map and modified it 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have been hosting the official 15x15 project on my unofficial server pretty much since launch.  The guys playing on my server have enjoyed it immensely and have bases set up all over the place. 

The, all of the sudden, with very little warning the devs decided to delete islands and only notified unofficial server owners just hours before the patch was scheduled to hit.  Not sure why the islands needed to be deleted from the game entirely, when they just could not have used them in the new 11x11 project...

So now I have islands missing in my 15x15.  The problem is not all of the islands listed in this post were deleted in game, but if you use the updated islands.json file they are removed from the project entirely.  I am trying to preserve my clients bases, so using the islands.json is out due to the fact that it removes all the islands on the list, not just the ones removed in game.  For example MNT_H_CP_D is still in game (found in 01 in 15x15 map), but removed in islands.json.  CAY_C_EE_B is removed in both (found in J8 in 15x15 map).

Not happy about the piss poor communication here, as morale on my server is not so great right now.

Not happy about the totally unnecessary island deletion for unofficial server owners.

Not happy about not having the 11x11 json provided in an updated SGE git download.

Basically feel like unofficial server owners got shafted here.

• Like 2

Thanks, good to know that method works. More or less what I had in mind, but I ended up doing a full wipe. Did a ton of map editing including all the powerstone islands and some rifts that were missing. Hated to do the wipe though, I hope your method works out well. I was wondering if the bad island would disappear in game so another island would go there, with or without removing the assets. I have a fresh set of temperate freeports which seem to be working etc. Thanks for the reply and happy sailing!

On 7/4/2020 at 3:45 AM, w4stedspace said:

I don't want their new map - I wanted to continue running the server I have and am struggling to understand why us unofficial server owners would care what islands have been 'added to the build' if 'the build' isn't available anyway, and these islands have been available to us all along.

I also don't understand why they needed to be removed in the first place, outside of a strange wish to break unofficial servers with this update.

Exactly my issue too.

On 7/4/2020 at 4:17 AM, jestersuave said:

We had the last SGE very shortly after the last mega update and our server was up within hours. I'm already building a new map using the islands.json (to be sure I don't use removed assets). I probably won't be able to export it until the updated SGE is released but I can have it built. You have almost everything you need to get your server ready right now.

They changed the resources on the islands that are still there, so the old player-made lists aren't usable anymore. Not to mention that they removed a lot of islands completely, some of which had important resources, like Ironwood, Iridium, Bamboo and Diamonds.

I too am updating my map ofc. I have removed all structures and flags from the removed islands, then deleted those removed islands, map is clean now and still working. But now I have to put 6 of all types of resources back in. So here is my question to you:

Do you know which resources are on the islands? If so please tell me!! (if no then your claim that we have everything we need to get our severs ready again is - ah - grandstanding :P)

Here is a topic I opened July 4th asking the devs to give us the removed islands back. No reply from them.

On 7/4/2020 at 10:31 PM, [*TGC*] Amris said:

Question for the developers:

In the patch notes 406.7 it says that certain islands were removed from the build and others added.

I checked the islands that you added to the build and found that they all had been in the ServerGridEditor at least since november '19 already. So I guess by 'added' you meant added to the official map, not to the game itself where they were already.

Anyway: Having  a private 4x4 grid with a custom-designed map I was rather unpleasantly surprised by your announcement that I should do a wipe and remove the islands that you took from the build.

The reason this surprise is such a nuisance is that it has taken months to find out which islands to put on the grid to have all resources. You know perfectly well that you haven't given us any documentation on which resources are one which islands so that we can design our grids. We have to find that all out ourselves by trial and error. It is a lot of effort and takes a long time.

I finally had a map that was working very well, had all the resources, all the powerstones, the cave and the central maw.

And then you nonchalantly destroy it.

I can't just take the islands out and add others: since we do not know which islands have the same resources as the ones you took out I would have to test again for a long time to find replacements. Ontop of that changing the islands means a wipe.

You could have left the islands in the build after all. No one forces you to take them out. Leaving them in costs you nothing. If you want to change the official server map you can do that by just not placing the islands there anymore. But you don't have to take them out of the grid editor and game completely. And ruin our hard work with a stroke of your pencil. Or click of your button rather.

I buy the game, I support the game, I tell my friends about it, I put lots and lots of work into it, building a map (without documentation), invest a lot of money in a rack server to run 16 grid servers, not to mention the electricity cost. And then you just click your button.

Please understand that I haven't yet given up on the game. But you really are making it hard.

So my question is: Can you please put those islands back in? You still don't have to put them on your official map if you don't want them there. Just put them back into the game as an option for us to use. Please.

Can you please at least reply, Grapeshot? This is your official community forum after all. And destroying all custom maps and not providing documentation are serious issues.
Edited by [*TGC*] Amris

2 hours ago, [*TGC*] Amris said:

They changed the resources on the islands that are still there, so the old player-made lists aren't usable anymore. Not to mention that they removed a lot of islands completely, some of which had important resources, like Ironwood, Iridium, Bamboo and Diamonds.

I too am updating my map ofc. I have removed all structures and flags from the removed islands, then deleted those removed islands, map is clean now and still working. But now I have to put 6 of all types of resources back in. So here is my question to you:

Do you know which resources are on the islands? If so please tell me!! (if no then your claim that we have everything we need to get our severs ready again is - ah - grandstanding :P)

https://exploreatlas.co.uk/ will tell you where everything is with a fair amount of accuracy, I'd say about 90% or so accurate right now (it's missing Darkwood and Ironwood spawns as of this writing). Darkwood was found on Official but is not yet updated on the site. We're still going through and verifying that the data is correct and are reporting anything we find to the developer for that site. 

We've been running since a few hours after the patch went live. I was able to completely remake the map prior to the patch actually dropping, and didn't need to wait for any updated SGE to go live. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, jestersuave said:

https://exploreatlas.co.uk/ will tell you where everything is with a fair amount of accuracy, I'd say about 90% or so accurate right now (it's missing Darkwood and Ironwood spawns as of this writing). Darkwood was found on Official but is not yet updated on the site. We're still going through and verifying that the data is correct and are reporting anything we find to the developer for that site. 

We've been running since a few hours after the patch went live. I was able to completely remake the map prior to the patch actually dropping, and didn't need to wait for any updated SGE to go live. 

This is a very cool resource, thank you!

However there seems to be a catch:

Has this webpage been updated since patch 406.7 hit? (The resources got changed by that patch.)

I tried to find that out by selecting a random island from the link you gave (Mnt_I_ER). I placed this island on the map and explored in-game if it really has the resources stated on that webpage.

Turned out a lot of the resources are correctly given on the webpage (iridium for instance) but quite a few resources are different. On the webpage it says the only rock found on the island is limestone. In reality I found no limestone anywhere but there is marble and granite all over the place. Some other resources I did not find either. However the rocks are the most striking example as no one who has explored this island can conceivably have overlooked the marble and granite that is literally everywhere. But it is not mentioned on the webpage. To me that seems to indicate that this island was explored by somebody prior to 406.7, when it likely really had limestone, as stated on the webpage,  and no marble and granite. But then 406.7 hit and the resources changed. Which would unfortunately mean that the webpage is of limited use now.

Is that your impression too?

Edited by [*TGC*] Amris
Formatting

On 7/11/2020 at 8:37 AM, [*TGC*] Amris said:

This is a very cool resource, thank you!

However there seems to be a catch:

Has this webpage been updated since patch 406.7 hit? (The resources got changed by that patch.)

I tried to find that out by selecting a random island from the link you gave (Mnt_I_ER). I placed this island on the map and explored in-game if it really has the resources stated on that webpage.

Turned out a lot of the resources are correctly given on the webpage (iridium for instance) but quite a few resources are different. On the webpage it says the only rock found on the island is limestone. In reality I found no limestone anywhere but there is marble and granite all over the place. Some other resources I did not find either. However the rocks are the most striking example as no one who has explored this island can conceivably have overlooked the marble and granite that is literally everywhere. But it is not mentioned on the webpage. To me that seems to indicate that this island was explored by somebody prior to 406.7, when it likely really had limestone, as stated on the webpage,  and no marble and granite. But then 406.7 hit and the resources changed. Which would unfortunately mean that the webpage is of limited use now.

Is that your impression too?

Sorry, late reply, it is constantly updated with new information, so as of your last writing I do believe another pass was done. There's still some oddities here and there most likely due to how resources are currently working in-game ('H' toggle shows you one thing and you actually gather something else) but it's the most accurate source so far still. The website developers are getting some communication from GS so it should improve more and more.

14 hours ago, jestersuave said:

Sorry, late reply, it is constantly updated with new information, so as of your last writing I do believe another pass was done. There's still some oddities here and there most likely due to how resources are currently working in-game ('H' toggle shows you one thing and you actually gather something else) but it's the most accurate source so far still. The website developers are getting some communication from GS so it should improve more and more.

Yeah we have the 'H'-effect too. My impression is it was caused by the patch of the patch (406.13) with which they changed the resources again and not by the patch itself (406.7). That's because H still shows the 406.7 resources. I wonder if the resources correct themselves if I remove the islands and place them again.

Anyway thank you guys for updating the list!