Sign in to follow this  
Kast

Has the Breeding Mechanic Changed?

A few of us who played at launch are considering giving Atlas another try (another chance) following the upcoming wipe. So, Breeding. Does breeding a bear ingame still take as long as breeding a real bear? I recall that our tamers/breeders typically worked through the weekend in shifts, since animal breeding could take up to two real life days.

As far as I know it is still the same, haven't played in months though so maybe someone else can be 100%

I was never one to breed animals, I just couldn't sit there for the first 4 hours hand feeding the bears, that destroyed me that did and I said no more. I don't know how people do it but it's not my idea of fun.

I get why people do it though, they sell them which is why I always bought my animals, I mean the high level bears and such. The lower level animals I can tame myself but breeding na it's not for me. Buying them gave me something to spend my gold on as there is little you can do with it in game.

I don't know if breeding is going to change when the map is released, I don't think anyone knows until the patch notes drop and that will be when it is released I imagine. Why they can't just tell everyone now is anyones guess, so stupid how they work things.

7 hours ago, Kast said:

A few of us who played at launch are considering giving Atlas another try (another chance) following the upcoming wipe. So, Breeding. Does breeding a bear ingame still take as long as breeding a real bear? I recall that our tamers/breeders typically worked through the weekend in shifts, since animal breeding could take up to two real life days.

Yeah still the same. They haven’t done any updates for a long time and they have only said they are making a new map. I all but guarantee that breeding will always stay lengthy. To be honest it should. There were already 1000’s of bears to begin with. Just one person alone in our 4 man company had over 120 bears and 90 were named trash. He had some very good stats. Did it all be himself too lol

so yeah breeding doesn’t need to change. Way too many tames already out there.

What would need you to work in shifts?

Gestation is 4 hours. Once the baby is born you fill it with food and just keep topping it up for the first half an hour or so, this should then give you at least an hour away from your comp by then. Come back after an hour and fill it with 5 stacks and that should be enough. Once it reaches 10% it becomes juvi and feeds from a trough. As long as you have plenty of them stocked up you could walk away and come back 2 days later to a fully grown bear.

The only time you would need to come back is to imprint and that is every 8 hours. So if you time it right you can do one late at night and one early morning, set an alarm 🙂

Bottom line, you only really need to be with them for the 1st half an hour or so of their lives. They are very easy to breed.

4 hours ago, Ghost Pirate LeChuck said:

Gestation is 4 hours. Once the baby is born you fill it with food and just keep topping it up for the first half an hour or so, this should then give you at least an hour away from your comp by then. Come back after an hour and fill it with 5 stacks and that should be enough. Once it reaches 10% it becomes juvi and feeds from a trough. As long as you have plenty of them stocked up you could walk away and come back 2 days later to a fully grown bear.

The only time you would need to come back is to imprint and that is every 8 hours. So if you time it right you can do one late at night and one early morning, set an alarm 🙂

Bottom line, you only really need to be with them for the 1st half an hour or so of their lives. They are very easy to breed.

Trouble is not everyone has the time to sit there for hours and babysit. I had the time but it wasn't for me, I can't sit there bored to death hand feeding but respect to others who do. That's why I buy high level bears.

People have jobs, I'm kind of fortunate enough or maybe that is not the word but have time to play abit more than others but can understand people who have lives will not want to sit there wasting their time feeding a bear for a few higher levels. This might be why they take shifts, who knows. You have 0 chance of me getting out of bed with an alarm just to feed a virtual bear, must be absolutely crazy.

6 hours ago, Ghost Pirate LeChuck said:

As someone who has bred 100+ bears.  My routine was get one stud in the pens to knock up at least 10 female bears.  Then wait for gestation (4 hours).  Then sail them to a colder climate so they didn't die.  Meantime feeding them manually until they hit juvenile in which case I usually hit the colder regions they can stay alive in.  Then sail them back home now that they aren't so sensitive to heat.  Also if you at all give a shit about imprinting then there is that, which I could easily see people working in shifts to get that done.  Sometimes I would come home from work to get the imprinting done.  Keep in mind that shit about being a functioning member of society and having a full time job.  I guess if I was a college student it wouldn't be a big deal but breeding is not so simple for everyone.

29 minutes ago, McDangles said:

As someone who has bred 100+ bears.  My routine was get one stud in the pens to knock up at least 10 female bears.  Then wait for gestation (4 hours).  Then sail them to a colder climate so they didn't die.  Meantime feeding them manually until they hit juvenile in which case I usually hit the colder regions they can stay alive in.  Then sail them back home now that they aren't so sensitive to heat.  Also if you at all give a shit about imprinting then there is that, which I could easily see people working in shifts to get that done.  Sometimes I would come home from work to get the imprinting done.  Keep in mind that shit about being a functioning member of society and having a full time job.  I guess if I was a college student it wouldn't be a big deal but breeding is not so simple for everyone.

Why the hell were you doing all of that? If you made a base in the temperate you wouldn’t have to worry about going anywhere. We need 100’s upon 100’s it bears with awesome stats right in one spot. Even if you had a job all it would take is you dedicating 4 hours(if you can’t do that then you don’t deserve to breed). And then have company members(even 1) feed them while you sleep. Even if you go to work for 8 hours(ok, you miss 1 imprint, boo hoo), you still have a good bear coming out. 

bottom line is if you can’t even sacrifice a little bit then you don’t need to be breeding and that is all there is to it.

side note to anyone that disagrees: guess what? They won’t be changing it for at least 6 months if not a year so by then I won’t care and will probably be long gone. Thank god you have to wait a lot longer 👍

21 hours ago, Kast said:

just a word of advice: i wouldnt find it weird if this game is officially released in december regardless of its state and then start working on a DLC to sell to the very small loyal player base this game have, if that official release would happen a new wipe would take place, just have that in mind when doing yuoru calculations.

On 7/3/2020 at 11:45 AM, DannyUK said:

As far as I know it is still the same, haven't played in months though so maybe someone else can be 100%

I was never one to breed animals, I just couldn't sit there for the first 4 hours hand feeding the bears, that destroyed me that did and I said no more. I don't know how people do it but it's not my idea of fun.

I get why people do it though, they sell them which is why I always bought my animals, I mean the high level bears and such. The lower level animals I can tame myself but breeding na it's not for me. Buying them gave me something to spend my gold on as there is little you can do with it in game.

I don't know if breeding is going to change when the map is released, I don't think anyone knows until the patch notes drop and that will be when it is released I imagine. Why they can't just tell everyone now is anyones guess, so stupid how they work things.

agreed, taming for me was simply not my idea of fun, i find it not only overcomplicated but overall and insane time sink (all of that gone when glitches/bugs happen), still i did it because in some not very bright person's mind a bear should from the very start gather way more mats than a mythic quality tool so i didnt have a choice, i dont dislike having pets as a feature (tho it needs polishing) but taming them miself could prove to be very annoying.

Edited by The D Legacy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ghost Pirate LeChuck said:

well that gestation period is already half the legal working day's schedule, also to complete the process you would need to have a full free day + time management in the next day/s that is not always on working people's hands and that is without considering the many many people that had situations in wich the animals wouldnt eat from the trough or would randomly die from weather conditions causing them to lose all that time in the process, oh and believe me i have set alarms for other games when i was younger and my advice is: if you are forced to alter your sleeping schedule because the game asks you to, then you are better off playing something else, but well thats just how i feel about it.

• Thanks 1