Sign in to follow this  
Pooter

Companies need to die off and factions need to be born

Factions are always better than Megas. You can have megas in factions, but having an over arching group that unites players and develops faction pride, always works better than having everyone distrust anyone and foster toxic behavior of "well we cant fight the megas so lets pick on the weaker group until they quit because that is the only PVP content available to us"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

@Pooter @Linea i think both of you are correct on this, as i see it your base should be indestructible and your boat while destructible should be sent to your port for repairs after being destroyed (ofc w/e you were carrying should be dropped as an incentive for other people to attack, its a pirate game after all, some form of looting should be present) you could pay for the repairs with resources and gold wich would also give gold some value (right now even venezuela's money has more value than this game's gold).

Oh hell yeah there should be looting. Once the ship sinks I believe everything on that boat is free game from tames to raw materials and crew to weapons and armor. I like the idea of being able to salvage a boat kind of like the whole sea of thieves thing but with a cost adjustment to it. Sea of thieves while being cartoony had some really good pvp going. 

atlas has never been player vs player. It has always been a player vs base scenario and even though ark has risen because of that playstyle, atlas has failed miserably by using it. If bases are still wipeable after this update they are really done for.

people are already leaving because of the wipe they just did(mainly pve) so them not only having a faulty PvPvE combo but still having wipeable bases will easy kill off the couple of thousand people that are left.

they better be very scared right now since the update drops tomorrow. I am not surprised at all that they aren’t trying to over hype like they usually do. Fear is what they need and deserve right now.

1 hour ago, Pooter said:

Oh hell yeah there should be looting. Once the ship sinks I believe everything on that boat is free game from tames to raw materials and crew to weapons and armor. I like the idea of being able to salvage a boat kind of like the whole sea of thieves thing but with a cost adjustment to it. Sea of thieves while being cartoony had some really good pvp going. 

atlas has never been player vs player. It has always been a player vs base scenario and even though ark has risen because of that playstyle, atlas has failed miserably by using it. If bases are still wipeable after this update they are really done for.

people are already leaving because of the wipe they just did(mainly pve) so them not only having a faulty PvPvE combo but still having wipeable bases will easy kill off the couple of thousand people that are left.

they better be very scared right now since the update drops tomorrow. I am not surprised at all that they aren’t trying to over hype like they usually do. Fear is what they need and deserve right now.

Well lets just hope tomorrow we can see something that makes dealing with the awfull optimization worth while

4 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

Well lets just hope tomorrow we can see something that makes dealing with the awfull optimization worth while

If they can meld pvp with pve I will give them respect. If they can’t and it was simply a new map and they go back to multiple clusters then at that point it wouldn’t matter if the next update was the biggest success ever. I am sure these guys realize this is the last stand for them. If they don’t pull something awesome out of their butts then they and atlas are done.

numbers were abysmal even before the wipe was announced so we can’t even blame the low numberS on the wipe. They better get this right. I will praise them if they do but I will also damn them if they don’t. I need that to be clear. Anything other than the best idea ever is a failure at this point. That had two years so yeah. Time for a Hail Mary.

17 hours ago, Evir said:

Factions are always better than Megas. You can have megas in factions, but having an over arching group that unites players and develops faction pride, always works better than having everyone distrust anyone and foster toxic behavior of "well we cant fight the megas so lets pick on the weaker group until they quit because that is the only PVP content available to us"

You already have factions through diplomacy and i think its more flexible and interesting then a faction system. If you force a faction system on the current groups they are just gonna join as the factions they already have and keep doing the same shit they are doing now. They are not going to go out of their way to protect some random pve nerd just because theres a game mechanic that says you are in the same faction. 

If you have falling out within the faction whats going to happen? Can they just up and leave? Are they going to start a grief war? What stops someone from just making a second account put it on a different faction and use it to spy or grief the faction?

Faction system just seems like the worst of both worlds if you ask me. 

55 minutes ago, Pant said:

You already have factions through diplomacy and i think its more flexible and interesting then a faction system. If you force a faction system on the current groups they are just gonna join as the factions they already have and keep doing the same shit they are doing now. They are not going to go out of their way to protect some random pve nerd just because theres a game mechanic that says you are in the same faction. 

If you have falling out within the faction whats going to happen? Can they just up and leave? Are they going to start a grief war? What stops someone from just making a second account put it on a different faction and use it to spy or grief the faction?

The current system is flawed though, if it's designed purely for megas then maybe not but you can't exclude smaller groups or they shouldn't.

Maybe factions have a common purpose, you fight for a strategic position so everyone joins in within the faction. You could have certain number of grids per faction and have your base in the faction area but if the faction is working together you would have good defences . The other side will have the numbers to attack also, it could make it abit more interesting which would include the smaller or solo players.

You join a company now the attitude is mostly "my way or the highway" you do as you are told. I don't like that, why should the smaller players be forced into big groups? Can't speak for everyone but I am willing to play PvP but not as it's stands being forced into megas. I'm all for helping anyone out but I also like to do my own thing, factions you have that choice but you also have the responsibility if you decide to ignore an attack on a faction you risk losing your home and everything that goes along with it. 

1 hour ago, Pant said:

The game currently has the worst system, it is basically, join/ally with a mega or get crushed by "content" seekers, I would rather deal with second account guys with poorly geared griefers than deal with a full on mega with full top tier gear. That way, at least if there is a mega in your faction, you do not have to deal with them, and you can worry about the other groups, this also gives smaller groups a chance to gather for a common purpose so that they can potentially fight back against the raiding attacks from the megas in a different faction, instead of the "not my problem once they are crushed I am next" mentality. Forcing the mega to ether come in full force, and that can potentially bring lots of other people in, or they find other targets for their raiding.

The best reason for factions is internal trading, you can control an island, someone else controls an island with materials you need, you offer them a trade via the faction and you know you can go to them and they are allied by default, allowing you to exchange materials much more easily, where as the current system, why not just sneak around and steal? Why give a potential enemy anything? It is always better to take from them.
Also treasure hunts are absurd to try and pull off without factions "can I do a map?" the answer is normally NO because you are basically scouting the island for potential attack.

Edited by Evir

3 hours ago, Pant said:

Nah, with Megas there is nothing like diplomacy, community, commerce, government or any other words of that nature. Megas are just weak kids that band together because they don’t want to lose their stuff but still want to be able to roflstomp beach bobs.

megas really are pathetic, but it is fun to try and watch them defend their actions “ come on guys, we are like the government”  nah, just losers. Megas made this game fail just like they failed at life or they wouldn’t be spending that much time in the game.

1 hour ago, Evir said:

The game currently has the worst system, it is basically, join/ally with a mega or get crushed by "content" seekers, I would rather deal with second account guys with poorly geared griefers than deal with a full on mega with full top tier gear. That way, at least if there is a mega in your faction, you do not have to deal with them, and you can worry about the other groups, this also gives smaller groups a chance to gather for a common purpose so that they can potentially fight back against the raiding attacks from the megas in a different faction, instead of the "not my problem once they are crushed I am next" mentality. Forcing the mega to ether come in full force, and that can potentially bring lots of other people in, or they find other targets for their raiding.

The best reason for factions is internal trading, you can control an island, someone else controls an island with materials you need, you offer them a trade via the faction and you know you can go to them and they are allied by default, allowing you to exchange materials much more easily, where as the current system, why not just sneak around and steal? Why give a potential enemy anything? It is always better to take from them.
Also treasure hunts are absurd to try and pull off without factions "can I do a map?" the answer is normally NO because you are basically scouting the island for potential attack.

The current system allows smaller companies to form alliances. If one company is attacked the members of the other companies spawn at a bed in the base thats attacked, get invited into the company thats attacked and help them fight. After the battle they return to their company again and go on with their day. I have seen alliances fight off megas more then they have been raided by them x20. So no I don't agree with your "join or be crushed" statement.

What does gear matter when the griefer is in your faction blocking your resources with buildings you can't destroy, blocking your buildings so you can't build, making underwater walls so your ship sink when you try to leave port? 

What is stopping you from joining or forming an alliance and trading within the alliance? You just have to talk to people and set up deals it would be EXACTLY the same....

You don't raid enemies for materials... You raid for gear, bps and gold. Materials are way to heavy to move. The time it takes you to set up a raid, fight someone and sail home you could have just farmed 5 times more on your own and you wouldn't risk any gear or ships...

You can't do a treasure maps without a faction system? That does not even make sense, you realise you are gonna have more enemies in a faction system right? In the current system you have a couple of enemies, some friends and a bunch of neutrals so the amount of islands that are actually hostile is only a small percentage of the map. In a faction system depending on how many factions you have atleast 50% of the map will be hostile to you, 66% if you have 3 factions and 75% if you have 4. 

5 minutes ago, Pant said:

The current system allows smaller companies to form alliances. If one company is attacked the members of the other companies spawn at a bed in the base thats attacked, get invited into the company thats attacked and help them fight. After the battle they return to their company again and go on with their day. I have seen alliances fight off megas more then they have been raided by them x20. So no I don't agree with your "join or be crushed" statement.

What does gear matter when the griefer is in your faction blocking your resources with buildings you can't destroy, blocking your buildings so you can't build, making underwater walls so your ship sink when you try to leave port? 

What is stopping you from joining or forming an alliance and trading within the alliance? You just have to talk to people and set up deals it would be EXACTLY the same....

You don't raid enemies for materials... You raid for gear, bps and gold. Materials are way to heavy to move. The time it takes you to set up a raid, fight someone and sail home you could have just farmed 5 times more on your own and you wouldn't risk any gear or ships...

You can't do a treasure maps without a faction system? That does not even make sense, you realise you are gonna have more enemies in a faction system right? In the current system you have a couple of enemies, some friends and a bunch of neutrals so the amount of islands that are actually hostile is only a small percentage of the map. In a faction system depending on how many factions you have atleast 50% of the map will be hostile to you, 66% if you have 3 factions and 75% if you have 4. 

Yeah the way things are is a crappy system. Megas are worthless. Ark made is successful atlas made it to the toilet. I mean atlas is known as one of the great failures. It has to be a completely different game to become even mediocre. Indestructible bases is definitely the way to go. Keep the pvp on the water like they said.

4 minutes ago, Pooter said:

Indestructible bases is definitely the way to go. Keep the pvp on the water like they said.

Thats pretty much what the pvp server is right now. Knock yourself out 😃

2 minutes ago, Pant said:

Thats pretty much what the pvp server is right now. Knock yourself out 😃

I am cool with that. It definitely needs to be added.

3 hours ago, Pant said:

According with what you say there is no problem in getting rid of megas then, correct?

Also this is not ARK, so base raiding shouldnt be a thing, there is literally dozens of already finished games that offer some sort of base raiding, yet ATLAS was advertised as a game wich core feature is sea battling as a pirate, wich is the only reason they managed to sell 50k+ copies of the game, but they assumed they could get away with just copy pasting ARK features here and failed miserably.

As i see it they either make ATLAS what they advertised it was going to be or just fuse it with ARK as a DLC, else you end up with just a mediocre game that is not one thing nor the other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The D Legacy said:

According with what you say there is no problem in getting rid of megas then, correct?

I am saying you are delusional if you think a faction system is gonna make the megas somehow up and dissolve their company, stop being toxic and develop some sense of duty to protect you. 

1 hour ago, Pant said:

I am saying you are delusional if you think a faction system is gonna make the megas somehow up and dissolve their company

what the hell does megas have to do with a faction system??? i dont remember mentioning a faction system while quoting you

1 hour ago, Pant said:

stop being toxic

toxic?? what part of what i sid was toxic? please quote it you delicate princess

1 hour ago, Pant said:

sense of duty to protect you. 

when did i say that i dont want to protect myself??? dude are you drunk or do you have limited comprehension capabilities??

1 hour ago, The D Legacy said:

what the hell does megas have to do with a faction system??? i dont remember mentioning a faction system while quoting you

toxic?? what part of what i sid was toxic? please quote it you delicate princess

when did i say that i dont want to protect myself??? dude are you drunk or do you have limited comprehension capabilities??

The thread is about factions, toxic was aimed at megas and megas won't protect you. Hope that clears it up for you.

Edited by Pant

12 hours ago, Pant said:

Wow, where to begin with this nonsense. it is almost like you cant grasp the fact that being part of a much larger overarching faction, facilitates trading, grouping, alliances, and helping each other, much easier than the absurd levels of distrust that people have because literally no one trusts each other even in alliances, I have seen multiple alliances break up because a mega made a deal with one of the alliance members, and then destroyed the alliance. 

Just farm for 5 different fibers on your island, right? You would never take a different one from someone, it is way too heavy to take back, just take the blueprints and make it with your 1 material on your island, that you control with your small group! GENIUS levels of intellect here. Just get the materials! DUH, no one is going to contest them! 

Here is how maps work, you go to an island, you try and sneak on, people assume you are raiding them, they kill you, or you announce you are coming on the island to do maps, they tell you no, and you try anyway, they start fighting you because they think you are scouting them. Or you delete the map and sail on to a different one.  This is how they work. In a faction, you see some people on your island, you are like hey whats up, they are like "doing maps" you are like, cool, mind if I help to leech, or "have fun" as you walk off.

If you are solo or in a small group, you can just do the "safe" maps and if you have one in enemy territory, you know there will be a fight and can prepare for that.

Even as a 50 man group it was annoying to do maps with a small detachment, because any time we did we would ether have to sneak, or fight to do them.

Edited by Evir
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Evir said:

Wow, where to begin with this nonsense. it is almost like you cant grasp the fact that being part of a much larger overarching faction, facilitates trading, grouping, alliances, and helping each other, much easier than the absurd levels of distrust that people have because literally no one trusts each other even in alliances, I have seen multiple alliances break up because a mega made a deal with one of the alliance members, and then destroyed the alliance. 

Just farm for 5 different fibers on your island, right? You would never take a different one from someone, it is way too heavy to take back, just take the blueprints and make it with your 1 material on your island, that you control with your small group! GENIUS levels of intellect here. Just get the materials! DUH, no one is going to contest them! 

Here is how maps work, you go to an island, you try and sneak on, people assume you are raiding them, they kill you, or you announce you are coming on the island to do maps, they tell you no, and you try anyway, they start fighting you because they think you are scouting them. Or you delete the map and sail on to a different one.  This is how they work. In a faction, you see some people on your island, you are like hey whats up, they are like "doing maps" you are like, cool, mind if I help to leech, or "have fun" as you walk off.

If you are solo or in a small group, you can just do the "safe" maps and if you have one in enemy territory, you know there will be a fight and can prepare for that.

Even as a 50 man group it was annoying to do maps with a small detachment, because any time we did we would ether have to sneak, or fight to do them.

Exactly, thats the concept the past devs failed to realise, no one, not even pvp lovers want conflict all day long, its tiresome, people often wants a mix of peace/stability and conflict/destruction.

4 hours ago, Evir said:

You can make a new character, join a faction say meet me at xyz and sink their trade boat with your main character on an enemy faction. You will have to go out on a limb for your faction members the same as you would in the current system. The drama you had in those alliances is going to happen the same way in a faction thats just human nature. 

4 hours ago, Evir said:

I am not sure where you are getting at, I am saying there is no reason to attack or fight someone for their materials. Most people are happy that you farm on their island because they get a tax cut from what you farm. There is very little reason to fight over resources in the current system, if the island is hostile to you theres a dozen other islands you can go to, I have never experienced beeing denied a resource. 9/10 people will not attack on the pvp server unless you act like you deserve it. The only materials I have ever seen conflict over is the Iron wood and the thatch on those islands because they are limited to only 3 or 4 islands.

4 hours ago, Evir said:

If you're in a faction the map won't spawn in another factions territory and this problem won't be the same? I have had to abandon more maps to bugs then because they are on a hostile island and like you said at worst you'll just have to delete the map and move on, I don't understand why this is such a big deal. The blueprints in this game are insane so ofc the good maps need to have some risk to them...

5 hours ago, Pant said:

You can make a new character, join a faction say meet me at xyz and sink their trade boat with your main character on an enemy faction. You will have to go out on a limb for your faction members the same as you would in the current system. The drama you had in those alliances is going to happen the same way in a faction thats just human nature. 

I am not sure where you are getting at, I am saying there is no reason to attack or fight someone for their materials. Most people are happy that you farm on their island because they get a tax cut from what you farm. There is very little reason to fight over resources in the current system, if the island is hostile to you theres a dozen other islands you can go to, I have never experienced beeing denied a resource. 9/10 people will not attack on the pvp server unless you act like you deserve it. The only materials I have ever seen conflict over is the Iron wood and the thatch on those islands because they are limited to only 3 or 4 islands.

If you're in a faction the map won't spawn in another factions territory and this problem won't be the same? I have had to abandon more maps to bugs then because they are on a hostile island and like you said at worst you'll just have to delete the map and move on, I don't understand why this is such a big deal. The blueprints in this game are insane so ofc the good maps need to have some risk to them...

Maybe things have changed but every time I played, setting foot onto someone's island without permission was a death sentence  level offense then they found your ship and sank it. Unless they were far weaker than you. Because people just out and out attacked people all the time for anything, basically "if its red its dead". I never experienced a time where that wasn't the case. Gathering resources, doing maps, didnt matter, people would lose their minds and try and kill you, sometimes they would then counter attack you for daring the set foot on your island.

IDK what carebear PVP server you played on but for the opening months of the game it was brutal and anyone that did anything that could even be considered a threat got destroyed, many times sailing through a tile was enough to get people to chase you for several server tiles.

This "oh people wont attack you, and will let you just come on their island, do maps, crawl around their base, and gather resources",  is a pure fantasy world from the game I played. I had many epic battles that sparked off of, trying to get resources.

When I played, mega's controlled the Lawless islands with smaller groups they absorbed, and would attack you for trying to get things on a lawless island if they caught you. 

What you are describing sounds like a PVE server.