SusanT

Dev's where do us pve players stand?

I’m more than happy to profit off a pirate war and avoid the dangers of being attacked. That actually sounds like a lot of fun. Make us PVE’rs earn the right to not be attacked with gold, letters of mark, traders guild or whatever. A diverse economy and player base is the key that many game devs never find. If someone wants a sterile and safe PVE pirate environment you might be asking too much. Besides there are private servers everywhere for that. I will always be PVE but it would be fun to be part of a more dynamic Atlas world.

• Like 2

Most mmo's I play I will at least try to play both pvp and pve, although I prefer pve. But they are two very different styles of play in the way you would build to everything else. I just think there is no reason to force pve to play pvp or vice versa. Some mmos mix the two quite well, there are some where it is a nightmare though, red dead 2 being one. But speculating aside, I guess we will find out in a couple of weeks anyhow.

I play solo in PvE, used to play with another guy everyday but usually just solo these days. Used to enjoy going around hunting for buildings where the timer went down to 0, players who left the game. Was always fun to see what loot there was inside but with them changing it to vanish when timer goes down it not so fun anymore.

I've never played PvP in this, you can't play PvP on your own unless you're in a group and I don't like getting raiding by massive group when I'm on my own surviving, not my idea of fun. That is why I mostly play PvE so I can keep my stuff, don't mind getting raided if I leave the timer to tick down to 0 as I raid those myself and my own fault but big groups smashing down the door of a 1 man band, no thanks.

I might have to get used to PvP though if they are changing how it works, do we know yet how PvE is going to play out? Says "we are breaking PvE into something else" whatever that means. Wish they would just bloody communicate with us, so much easier. Like pulling teeth with this lot, give you nothing to go on.

• Like 1

If it does become a forced pve,( and i'm not saying it deffo will) but if it does I will stop playing the mmo, I'll prob still play sp, There are a few mmo's I play anyway so it wont be a massive loss, just sad really as i've played since release. On the bright side though ffonline is supposed to be coming to xbox soon so I guess I'll wait for that too. 

• Like 1

losing stuff while sleeping or at work sucks!

this is why i prefer warzone style mmo's.

think of the most successful MMO ever - world of warcraft.

you can collect cute  animals and raid pve until your friends come online. then you can get your roving murder ball squad into a pvp area, arena, or event.

atlas could easily do this. 90% pve and 10% of zones have unique pvp stuff in them. special pirate skins or unique animals to collect, nothing essential to the game. just fun little rewards for people that want to pvp.

You PVE people really need to get into the pirate mood more. Where is the fun of sitting on everything with zero chances of taking a hit?
Used to play on PVE but the community there was more toxic than on PVP, and it wasn't too exciting to log in to a fool-proof base.

Then I decided to hold a small island on EU-PVP with a crew of 8 friends. Most of whom barely played.
After setting up base defences (Puckles, Cannons, etc) as well as high thick stone walls around the flag base, we had no problems with attackers.

Just saying, it's not all that hard to keep up. Then again, if you get attacked by a big company then it's GG.
Actually gathering gold and up-keeping the base was breeze after the initial setup. But you guys should know that since you've done it on PVE.

Get on with the times.

59 minutes ago, Glacius said:

You PVE people really need to get into the pirate mood more. Where is the fun of sitting on everything with zero chances of taking a hit?
Used to play on PVE but the community there was more toxic than on PVP, and it wasn't too exciting to log in to a fool-proof base.

Then I decided to hold a small island on EU-PVP with a crew of 8 friends. Most of whom barely played.
After setting up base defences (Puckles, Cannons, etc) as well as high thick stone walls around the flag base, we had no problems with attackers.

Just saying, it's not all that hard to keep up. Then again, if you get attacked by a big company then it's GG.
Actually gathering gold and up-keeping the base was breeze after the initial setup. But you guys should know that since you've done it on PVE.

Get on with the times.

Us PVE people were doing fine with fighting the pirates of the game itself which was what the game was intentionally made for when one speaks of pve, just because pve people don't like destroying or killing other players doesn't make us less valuable as a player we just have different ways of playing, I never did get what people got out of destroying what takes some hours and hours to build, I guess it is a destructive nature that us pve people don't dig and I am fine with that, do not belittle our game play all because we don't jump on the band wagon of wanting to join big companies and have absolutely nothing to do but to kill, kill and destroy other players, get real most know where their cahona's are and, the size and don't need to flaunt them by being part of a big company. Just saying.

As far as it being hard to keep up? Really presumptuous of you to say that since you don't know all of us.

I already know, you were part of a large group, you didn't get your full moneys worth whether you will admit it or not btw, I am not asking so YOU get with the times, there have always been pve players and pvp players and there always will be. Just saying.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Glacius said:

Get on with the times.

Difference is you play with 8 people, not everyone plays in groups which is why we prefer PvE

Where is the fun in not taking a hit? Where is the fun spending time on your own farming resources all day, building a ship then have it sunk 15mins later?

We want to get into the pirate mood, you tell that to the devs though, they need to get into the pirate mood before we can. 

Edited by DannyUK
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Glacius said:

Get on with the times.

the probelms with your perspective are:

1) This game has so poor game design that my only friend that accepted to play it with me got so bored that he doesnt want to hear about this game again

2) Megas: the concept of megas doesnt have a place in this game, its like a tsunami that destroys everything it finds while contributing to nothing to add value to the game

3) Companies: if you join a company that doesnt belong to real life friends you find yourself in a position in wich they usually ask you the gather resources all day long, i didnt join this game to be a farmer.

if there is demand for resources i rather be a trader than someone's slave and i rather see several medium size companies fighting echother and maintaining balance than 1-3 megas literally abusing everyone else while at peace with other megas

• Like 1

I prefer to keep separated from PvP crowd. There is still hope they will give us the NPC ships and NPC settlements to pillage, I heard its a thing on singleplayer

1 hour ago, Rage Ironfist said:

I prefer to keep separated from PvP crowd. There is still hope they will give us the NPC ships and NPC settlements to pillage, I heard its a thing on singleplayer

I bought the game because it offered multiplayer as well as PVE because I like other people, well, mostly but what you say is good IF they would add that to the game but I have a feeling, it is only an assumption but a good one based on the fact that they are ignoring us that we will not see anything change in PVE except having to fight for a place on EU server and deal with the hackers there or, NO PVE AT ALL I went to the buy site, it doesn't state pve any longer, that tells me something.

As a pve player I am perfectly happy with playing against whatever the environment gives, this was a wonderful game before they tried to fix it, don't fix what isn't broken is the old saying, I am still highly upset that they came like a thief in the night and just wiped out months and hours of what I had done with the excuse of " We don't take this lightly " well you do devs, you DO take it lightly because YOU aren't the one that spent all of that time on the game, that is the problem with a lot of the devs they lose the know how on how to be an actual gamer if they ever were to start with.

My friends will no longer touch this game no matter because of the devs destroying what they had built, they have moved on, I still watch to see which way this shipwreck is going to turn.

6 minutes ago, SusanT said:

I bought the game because it offered multiplayer as well as PVE because I like other people, well, mostly but what you say is good IF they would add that to the game but I have a feeling, it is only an assumption but a good one based on the fact that they are ignoring us that we will not see anything change in PVE except having to fight for a place on EU server and deal with the hackers there or, NO PVE AT ALL I went to the buy site, it doesn't state pve any longer, that tells me something.

As a pve player I am perfectly happy with playing against whatever the environment gives, this was a wonderful game before they tried to fix it, don't fix what isn't broken is the old saying, I am still highly upset that they came like a thief in the night and just wiped out months and hours of what I had done with the excuse of " We don't take this lightly " well you do devs, you DO take it lightly because YOU aren't the one that spent all of that time on the game, that is the problem with a lot of the devs they lose the know how on how to be an actual gamer if they ever were to start with.

My friends will no longer touch this game no matter because of the devs destroying what they had built, they have moved on, I still watch to see which way this shipwreck is going to turn.

i have a hunch that they went with some retard logic like "ARK is sucessful, ARK is pvp focused, hence pvp=sucess" but they havent realised that the main appeal of this game is PvE and since there is SO MUCH complete games out there that already offer a good PvP experience the only way to make this game succeed is offering a gameplay experience others cant offer.

i completely agree with you on what you say, developers these days dont value players time investment at all, wich makes several games a no go for me, i have stated this many times before and i will do it again, as long as decay timers are a thing i will never play this game seriously again, my time is valuable and if the developers are unable to understand that they can count me out.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The D Legacy said:

i have a hunch that they went with some retard logic like "ARK is sucessful, ARK is pvp focused, hence pvp=sucess" but they havent realised that the main appeal of this game is PvE and since there is SO MUCH complete games out there that already offer a good PvP experience the only way to make this game succeed is offering a gameplay experience others cant offer.

i completely agree with you on what you say, developers these days dont value players time investment at all, wich makes several games a no go for me, i have stated this many times before and i will do it again, as long as decay timers are a thing i will never play this game seriously again, my time is valuable and if the developers are unable to understand that they can count me out.

LOL but the timers HAVE to be there, they just have to if they don't, folks in your position ( which I am sorry you can't log in and update ) would leave your bases there at your leisure and that just wouldn't be fair to other players since the map doesn't grow, it only becomes smaller hence, decay timers, if we didn't have them in games the servers would look and feel like a junkyard, sorry but I disagree with the decay issue you have. No offense.

24 minutes ago, SusanT said:

LOL but the timers HAVE to be there, they just have to if they don't, folks in your position ( which I am sorry you can't log in and update ) would leave your bases there at your leisure and that just wouldn't be fair to other players since the map doesn't grow, it only becomes smaller hence, decay timers, if we didn't have them in games the servers would look and feel like a junkyard, sorry but I disagree with the decay issue you have. No offense.

Then we are talking about poor game design, i can understand what you mean about about occupying space when you never rly know if you are ever coming back, so allow me to clarify my statement, i dont rly care about my base being wiped since i can easily rebuild that, its about its content and my ship. As a good example of what i mean there is an old but once upon a time very popular game called Ogame, when you had real life situations that forced you to not be able to play the  game you could just activate the "vacations" mode and your planet would be fully protected until you dectivated it, your mines production would stop, you could not move your fleet at all and you could not deactivated it before X hrs had passed (to avoid exploitation) but you were protected and could come back to the game any time.

If something like that could be done here i wouldnt have to worry about losing the mythical ship that i could build or all my maps blueprints and resources i have gathered, most of my progress would be safe without cosuming any space or active server resources, and that would encourage me to come back whenever i felt like it. And just like that there are several other possible solutions, but the devs are too short sighted because they lack gaming experience.

Edited by The D Legacy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The D Legacy said:

Then we are talking about poor game design, i can understand what you mean about about occupying space when you never rly know if you are ever coming back, so allow me to clarify my statement, i dont rly care about my base being wiped since i can easily rebuild that, its about its content and my ship. As a good example of what i mean there is an old but once upon a time very popular game called Ogame, when you had real life situations that forced you to not be able to play the  game you could just activate the "vacations" mode and your planet would be fully protected until you dectivated it, your mines production would stop, you could not move your fleet at all and you could not deactivated it before X hrs had passed (to avoid exploitation) but you were protected and could come back to the game any time.

If something like that could be done here i wouldnt have to worry about losing the mythical ship that i could build or all my maps blueprints and resources i have gathered, most of my progress would be safe without cosuming any space or active server resources, and that would encourage me to come back whenever i felt like it. And just like that there are several other possible solutions, but the devs are too short sighted because they lack gaming experience.

Understood, I really do understand your reasoning but as you know people would abuse it and not come back until they are good and ready, in the meantime, their place is occupying the map which only has so much room to it. 

I would agree the timers need to be longer and maybe to include the vacation option but I don't see that happening since most would agree that decay is a good thing for the bigger part of the players.

It's not just about attacking other players though, which for some reason certain pvp players don't understand. It's about playing styles and the way you have to build. I dunno why I have to keep writing this cos you'd think pve critics could read, but here goes again, I personally do not want to build triple thick brick towers with no windows and ships that are floating wood tanks. How the hell is that even realistically a pyrate ship if it looks like a one colour rubics cube with guns? And since when did golden age pyrates ride giant crabs?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SusanT said:

Understood, I really do understand your reasoning but as you know people would abuse it and not come back until they are good and ready, in the meantime, their place is occupying the map which only has so much room to it. 

I would agree the timers need to be longer and maybe to include the vacation option but I don't see that happening since most would agree that decay is a good thing for the bigger part of the players.

i might no have explained myself entirely, i meant that your base would dissapear but you can move your items to your boat and once you activate vacation mode your boat is not rendered anymore, the boat characteristics and its content get saved as data that is not rendered until you come back to the game.

i dont get what you mean by "people would abuse it and not come back until they are good and ready" something can be done so that feature is not abused but i dont know what you mean with "until they are good and ready".

also that was just an example of how ogame works, there is no need to copy that but it can be used as a reference of how many hundreds of posible solutions this particular problem has, why would i want to give up on games that save my progression and play a game that kicks me in the nuts whenever i want to take a break?

18 hours ago, Whitehawk said:

It's not just about attacking other players though, which for some reason certain pvp players don't understand. It's about playing styles and the way you have to build. I dunno why I have to keep writing this cos you'd think pve critics could read, but here goes again, I personally do not want to build triple thick brick towers with no windows and ships that are floating wood tanks. How the hell is that even realistically a pyrate ship if it looks like a one colour rubics cube with guns? And since when did golden age pyrates ride giant crabs?

the other day i was watching a recomended youtube video, and i was sure it was ARK until i saw a galleon and it turned out it was ATLAS, that alone portraits the lack of imagination and obssession with recycling devs have shown up until now.

to be honest sometimes i wonder how this people even managed to make ARK to begin with, they have literally 0 gaming experience.

Edited by The D Legacy

It seems easier for them just to create LEGO craft PvP than to create a real MMO experience.  Just put all of the LEGOs out there and let the players build and kill each other.  When I bought the game I envisioned what the trailers showed.  Being on a pirate ship and going with others on great adventures.  Thriving cities with trading and questing.  There are no real quests.  There are no thriving cities.  There is no system to group you with players.  Frankly for pirate ship battles Blackwake is a much more amazing game.  If I could have the base building of Atlas and the PvP of Blackwake it would be an amazeballs experience.  Make it like PvE for the most part of the persistent world and give a no holds barred battle experience where you can have fun without risking all of you hours on base building and taming.  

5 hours ago, McDangles said:

It seems easier for them just to create LEGO craft PvP than to create a real MMO experience.  Just put all of the LEGOs out there and let the players build and kill each other.  When I bought the game I envisioned what the trailers showed.  Being on a pirate ship and going with others on great adventures.  Thriving cities with trading and questing.  There are no real quests.  There are no thriving cities.  There is no system to group you with players.  Frankly for pirate ship battles Blackwake is a much more amazing game.  If I could have the base building of Atlas and the PvP of Blackwake it would be an amazeballs experience.  Make it like PvE for the most part of the persistent world and give a no holds barred battle experience where you can have fun without risking all of you hours on base building and taming.  

blackwake actually looks nice, why did you quit it?

Edited by The D Legacy

On 6/29/2020 at 10:05 PM, Glacius said:

Get on with the times.

pirates and privateers did not "pvp" 24/7. they had ports of call to resupply and rebuild. only after ship and crew were healthy would they go sailing to find ships to hunt.

some of you pvp tryhards make it sound like you think pirate times were non stop drunkin fighting 24 hours a day for 60 years.

it was not an ongoing war with 24 hour conflict for years at a time. it was more like cops and robbers with some corporate sabotage.

5 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

blackwake actually looks nice, why did you quit it?

I didn't?  Actually it can get a bit repetitive.  I mean you can only really play two roles, captain or crew.  Nobody ever wants to do any game mode other than deathmatch.  It's still feels really rewarding when you get a good captain and crew.

The reason I play Atlas PvE is not because I don't like PvP gameplay.  I just don't want it to happen to my base while I am sleeping or at work.

2 minutes ago, McDangles said:

I didn't?  Actually it can get a bit repetitive.  I mean you can only really play two roles, captain or crew.  Nobody ever wants to do any game mode other than deathmatch.  It's still feels really rewarding when you get a good captain and crew.

The reason I play Atlas PvE is not because I don't like PvP gameplay.  I just don't want it to happen to my base while I am sleeping or at work.

but is it some sort of battle royal thing?? or does it have any MMO elements?

20 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

i might no have explained myself entirely, i meant that your base would dissapear but you can move your items to your boat and once you activate vacation mode your boat is not rendered anymore, the boat characteristics and its content get saved as data that is not rendered until you come back to the game.

i dont get what you mean by "people would abuse it and not come back until they are good and ready" something can be done so that feature is not abused but i dont know what you mean with "until they are good and ready".

also that was just an example of how ogame works, there is no need to copy that but it can be used as a reference of how many hundreds of posible solutions this particular problem has, why would i want to give up on games that save my progression and play a game that kicks me in the nuts whenever i want to take a break?

"the boat characteristics and its content get saved as data that is not rendered until you come back to the game."

"Until you come back to the game"<< is precisely what you are not understanding, so, you think that a game company should make allowances just for deadbeat players=meaning the ones who hardly play for any and all reasons- and use the games data to save their stuff?  That is what I mean by people abusing it also, if it weren't for decay wipes would be the way to go and I am positive that most would rather have decay timers than wipes. 

On 6/30/2020 at 10:26 AM, Whitehawk said:

you'd think pve critics could read " pve> players can read and you writing it over and over and over again isn't going to make any of us agree with what you have to say, of course pvp players have a different style of playing than pve players I would think that common sense hence, don't know why you figure we can't read and understand ... " i'ts not just about attacking other players you say " when in fact that is exactly what pvp is about and destroying ships/bases/animals etc......I saw a guy playing a western pvp game, he moaned and groaned because he was constantly attacked, he threatened to turn the next person in for not allowing him time to prepare for a fight....is this what you are suggesting? I don't think pvp is like that but then again, I am no pro at that sort of game.