Sign in to follow this  
captaincaveman1

Opinions on the new map design

I personally think its stupid. the map we have makes more sense and the way it is people can live more or less from all over the map. with this map the majority of players will be fighting for land while being concentrated all in one spot

2 hours ago, captaincaveman1 said:

I personally think its stupid. the map we have makes more sense and the way it is people can live more or less from all over the map. with this map the majority of players will be fighting for land while being concentrated all in one spot

Don’t forget that the Megas will easily be able to control the golden age. This will not be a success. As usual the Megas will destroy the game except this time people will leave even faster because the pve people are already reluctant in the first place so the first time the megas wipe them they will be gone.

unless those pve areas are truly exploit free they will fail very fast.

43 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

Where are people seeing this new map? 

...and not sure what I think about an 11x11 grid with equator in the northwest...

On 6/19/2020 at 7:36 PM, BigDally said:

...and not sure what I think about an 11x11 grid with equator in the northwest...

the only thing they have changed in the map is the climate and plants/ores distribution, the fact that you have the equator in the northwest quadrant only means that quadrant will have equatorial-like weather/resources, if i was them i would have renamed those areas to avoid conceptual contradictions as equatorials are called that way due to their geographic location, but the most important part is that this + their statement about enciting conflict + their statement about "we want players traveling more" suggest we will no longer have a round world in wich you can access the other side of the world by simply going past the map border, if thats the case i rly hope the have reduced the size of each quadrant or given a boost to the boats speed since if things stay as they are (specially winds) this will become a very boring sailig simulator.

many things can be done, but this is now a game of jenga so changing one simple feature implies deeply considering the others, hence if they try another ARK copy pasta they will just fail as miserably as the last dev team did.

• Like 1

A smaller map is typically the Harbinger of a game about to fail.

I think a smaller map was necessary for financial and gameplay reasons, but it will mean more lag if the servers are run in the same way.

Well I will watch a few streams to see how it plays out when the wipe comes, I'm intrigued how the new map will go as well. 

Did they ever implement those pirate camps NPC's? I haven't played in awhile but I did think that sounded good, giving people something extra to do with more loot. They were trying to put it on PvE server, not sure if they ever did.

You know what is going to happen after the wipe though, back to spamming pillars and foundations everywhere, going from past experience I would put money on it happening again.

On 6/19/2020 at 12:27 PM, captaincaveman1 said:

Wich is exactly what the intended:

"This will reduce the amount of sailing between core islands, incite more conflict, and give more opportunity for Companies to capture and control water lanes for the upcoming Trade Route system"

As many people have already pointed out, I really hope they change the names of the different regions on the map. The names they gave on that picture make no sense.

I got really excited when I saw that new map announcement, but such excitement didn't last long. I think it is obvious that they are focusing on the PvP component so I don't have an opinion on whether this renovation is positive or not since I will never come back to PvP servers.

I have been a solo PvE player although I started playing Atlas in a 15-men crew. What bothers me the most about the game is the fact that you have to spend a lot of time sailing and doing absolutely nothing during those routes. I think they made a whole post on how they were focusing on making sea life more interesting and I think that is precisely what they should do. I also hope they redo the discovery point system, especially considering the times they've wiped the servers. I don't even understand why there has to be a level cap that is related to how many islands you've 'explored' (i.e touched with your feet). I felt like we were being forced to go from island to island just to get those discovery points, which makes little sense to me.

I will be playing this game right after the wipe once more, but given the current state of the game I do not think there is much future for it. I also feel likea lot of  the people who have spent thousands of hours playing this game (up to this day, especially on PvE NA) won't be coming back because of the ways things are being done.

I think I get what they're trying to do but it still doesn't make any sense to me.  This game is billed as an MMO.  However in most of my gameplay I have had little to no interaction with other players other than to trade with.  I think they need to focus more on in-game systems to group like-minded players to go off on adventures with.  You shouldn't have to go outside of it to a website or discord channel to get a group for something.  I think they are simply squishing the map to account for the dwindling player base.  Even with the dwindling player base on PvE there were still so many bases taking up beach real estate and hardly any other users logged on.  I think in my grid square I've never seen more than 10 people on at a time.  So I think that's why they are pushing PvP.  So people can just fight for the space on the islands.  That's cool and all but if you're a solo player it's probably going to suck.  Not sure how else they plan to control the beach overcrowding unless they planned on a lot of people not coming back after the wipe.  I've been around since shortly after this game was available on Steam.  Been wiped a few times.  I was accidentally playing on EU PvE and was happy after the last wipe to start off on US PvE.  Now I have to go back?  Sigh.  I will probably at least check it out but I don't have much interest in PvP unless they put something in that at least gives solo players a chance.

Edited by McDangles

I honestly think that the game should be One Server.  The PvP and PvE divide in my opinion is wrong. What they should be focusing on is finding a way to make the game attractive to both sides of the coin. I ran a company in PvP NA. Most members we had on roster was 70 with 30 being active on a daily average. A company can't survive with out the PvE folks. The PvPers can't go off on their ships with out those that are willing to put the effort in. And the PvE folks could not play in somewhat safety with out the defense the that PvPers provided with their brutal nature. As a company leader it was a balancing act, had to keep both parties happy and rewarding while at the same time squashing the stigma between two types. Everyone pulls their weight, everyone fights when the time comes. Easier said then done but it was doable. And for hte most part we had fun. Had some very good people in my ranks and i made some good online friends. We had our share of run ins with "Mega" Companies and we had to play politics to survive. Most of the time in dealing with them, they respected you if you actually fought with out crying and the usual salt. Come to the realization that its just stuff that is easily replaced and rebuilt. Only thing that ended us was the lack of Dev involvement in handling cheaters, especially the Chinese. The Aimbotters were horrible to play again and it was moral crushing.

For me personally, I don't want to join a pvp company just to keep building floating tanks, and mega city one style skyscrapers with no windows. I used to pvp in conan exiles but in the end I was just building structures with 3 skinned walls and outside mazes. And someone would always manage to cause damage while we were offline. Then every time i'd sign in i'd spend most of my time( which is limited), to re building. Pvp requires a lot more time in some ways than pve. Maybe though the new devs will see our comments and change course, who knows? What I wouldn't want though is a pve server being left for pve'ers to just run amock,getting no fixes or problems solved and full of griefing, while they put all the effort into pvp servers.

• Like 1

Given that I've played for over 1000 hours, I've already got way more than my moneys worth out of the game, so if I don't like the new changes and stop playing I'm not too bothered.

To me the fun of the PVE side of thigs was exploring & sailing. Well, they already dumbed down the sailing, the ruined the exploring by making the whole map visible, not just showing the places you'd been.

But the real issue with the PVE side was lack of things to do once you'd done the basics of finding somewhere to live, built a home and a few ships. If they had ever manage to get the wild pirate encampments in, that would have helped.

Presuming PVE is staying in some form, then a wipe means there is some fun to be had doing all the initial stuff again, but after that it comes back to lack of things to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Killer Keen said:

Given that I've played for over 1000 hours, I've already got way more than my moneys worth out of the game, so if I don't like the new changes and stop playing I'm not too bothered.

To me the fun of the PVE side of thigs was exploring & sailing. Well, they already dumbed down the sailing, the ruined the exploring by making the whole map visible, not just showing the places you'd been.

But the real issue with the PVE side was lack of things to do once you'd done the basics of finding somewhere to live, built a home and a few ships. If they had ever manage to get the wild pirate encampments in, that would have helped.

Presuming PVE is staying in some form, then a wipe means there is some fun to be had doing all the initial stuff again, but after that it comes back to lack of things to do.

Agree with you about the map being visible, when it's covered it got you to sail somewhere to explore. I think they should cover the map back up at least it gives you more motivation to actually go and explore what is there.

I'd like to see PvE and PvP together but not as they are right now. I have the feeling it will be harder to get resources and items as a PvE player especially if you have to pass through PvP territory to get something.

Once you've done it all the fun is gone, I know how it feels. I've built big buildings and all the ships, done discoveries and quests then you're left with just killing SOTD. It gets repetitive which is why they need to add alot more content. I don't even know if content is in the works right now or they are just changing islands around. With them all working on Ark I just can't see alot of content anytime soon.

20 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

Wich is exactly what the intended:

"This will reduce the amount of sailing between core islands, incite more conflict, and give more opportunity for Companies to capture and control water lanes for the upcoming Trade Route system"

Unfortunately they are dreaming. The two biggest companies will control the trade routes and nobody will ever bother trying to take it from them. After that if the trade route “is not” forced content and the o it way to travel then people simply won’t use the trade routes.  If the trade routes “are” forced content then people will leave after they get tired of dealing with taxes or whatever ridiculous stuff they have to do to use the route.

i mean this is going to fail. With the numbers being at an all time low Just like the last wipe I don’t see a lot coming back and even for the ones that come back I don’t see them paying taxes for more than a month and being tired of it.

11 hours ago, ZetaZhan said:

shut up till you try it. stop being cry babys 

Well if we didn’t know their track record we might be able to do that. 😂🙄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DannyUK said:

Agree with you about the map being visible, when it's covered it got you to sail somewhere to explore. I think they should cover the map back up at least it gives you more motivation to actually go and explore what is there.

I'd like to see PvE and PvP together but not as they are right now. I have the feeling it will be harder to get resources and items as a PvE player especially if you have to pass through PvP territory to get something.

Once you've done it all the fun is gone, I know how it feels. I've built big buildings and all the ships, done discoveries and quests then you're left with just killing SOTD. It gets repetitive which is why they need to add alot more content. I don't even know if content is in the works right now or they are just changing islands around. With them all working on Ark I just can't see alot of content anytime soon.

Yeah there won’t be content for quite awhile. They first have to figure out how to combine pvp and pve then integrate that into the new map. After that they have to make sure they aren’t any game breaking bugs with the map and then make sure their aren’t any bugS toward pve/pvp That are being exploited.  

and to be honest after that they need to work on fixing the other bugs that have been around this whole time before they even start to think about adding more content. So multiple months from now.

29 minutes ago, Pooter said:

Unfortunately they are dreaming. The two biggest companies will control the trade routes and nobody will ever bother trying to take it from them. After that if the trade route “is not” forced content and the o it way to travel then people simply won’t use the trade routes.  If the trade routes “are” forced content then people will leave after they get tired of dealing with taxes or whatever ridiculous stuff they have to do to use the route.

i mean this is going to fail. With the numbers being at an all time low Just like the last wipe I don’t see a lot coming back and even for the ones that come back I don’t see them paying taxes for more than a month and being tired of it.

honestly i dont get what the point of mega companies is, instead of having several mid zised groups that can have their stuff and fight eachother from time to time they facilitate the creation of 2 at most 3 mega companies that will not bother eachother and focus only on wipping solo players, what is bound to happen is that megas will turn their eyes to the players in the outer/less profitable region where all the solo players will be located and they will harrass them and destroy them, because they will have peace with the other megas, hence will eventually get bored and stop playing, the entirety of this game have such deep contradictions that unless they redesign it from scratch they are gonna lose even more players.

Edited by The D Legacy
  • Like 1

Shut up and try it you cry babies ?. Written like a true intellectual, zeta, oh and you may notice I have corrected the spelling of babys for you! Glad I could help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Whitehawk said:

Shut up and try it you cry babies ?. Written like a true intellectual, zeta, oh and you may notice I have corrected the spelling of babys for you! Glad I could help.

Oh I will definitely try it. I just know the skill level of these guys so yeah, it isn’t looking good lol

Edited by Pooter

I love it actually. Less forever sailing for any biomes, plus more traffic will be near center and world will looks alive.

And yeah. Let's hear about trade routes - the main reason of map change.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, George Catcher said:

I love it actually. Less forever sailing for any biomes, plus more traffic will be near center and world will looks alive.

And yeah. Let's hear about trade routes - the main reason of map change.

Nah, can’t wait to see the numbers fall fast with the newest of the bed shitting 😂

I like it I think the map should change every season. I also think they should shut the servers off and release the new map without telling anyone they are going to do it.