ATLAS

Captain’s Log #39: Meet The Crew!

Good Morning Pirates,

I feel the same as this quoted post:

10 hours ago, TacticalNatty said:

Welcome aboard @Chismebeard, @Nami, and @Gortok!

Your PVE community is feeling a little left out/betrayed. Can you share your plans for its future?

100% agree at this stage of the game. It feels like the map is PVP orientated, and this will leave us with a problem in the PVE game-play world. That being said, very little has been shared and we can probably only start judging when more information is available.

9 hours ago, Juliocp said:

I do these as my words and I would like to put some more suggestions:
- Give more use to the ports. A port should be a place where everyone at the end of the day shoulding want to be. They are currently ghost towns. We have no use for them and to make matters worse, nor can we stay there, or we lose our ships.
-  Kitchen and agriculture. Manufactured and / or grown food must be able to be sold in the store! They should also serve more purposes and bring much more benefits to the player. That way, we would have more trading items in the game!
-  It is necessary to give much more love and attention to solo players. Many Atlas players like to play outside a company, but the rules of the game benefit companies, and individual players are overlooked.
- It is past time to improve the vitamin system. I believe that agriculture and cooking could work with more unity. Mybe!

You dint think some of this through I guess. I will use an example to simplify. We had 255 grids, and we are now down to 121, that nearly half of what we had. For PVE, the NA servers were shut down, so many of those players will be joining EU PVE. Many companies that left due to lack of effort from Grapeshot's side will also be back with hopes of a new better game-play experience, now that there will be active dev's and community managers again. There will also be some new players, hoping to get their claims in with the start of a new season.

This being said mean half the grids, double the player base. Image having a ton of people in one grid, aka freeport, as you suggested. LAG FEST comes to mind. I know, as we have done many events as a company, and recently had a event in the MAW, where there is no islands and buildings to render. Just having 100 players and ships in the MAW caused us to have massive lag and poor overall performance. (Hear is hoping they dint decrease server capacity even more, aka more grids per server or less resources per server, as that would make it even worse).

I for one like the fact that more players will be around with less islands. It would mean that more islands would now get settlers as not all players/companies would be able to have their own islands, as the nearly the case in the last stretch on PVE EU now. I know many others hates the idea, as more buildings means more lag, and I get that, as XBOX players mostly crashed coming into render distance of our current base, due to lag on their part. Freeports are balanced well enough for PVE, and I'm betting in PVP they are getting abused as hell, and PVP players would want them nerfed even more.

I don't think I need to comment on the "East/West" compass matter, can see that has been done quite a bit, guess we will now wait and see if we even get a reply from Grapeshot, which would mean things has already improved I guess.

That being said. Many things need more attention and we can only hope, wait and see what they have cooked up ( or will be cooking up ) for us.

Edited by die pieter

10 hours ago, xwildslicerx said:

Did we really go from 25x25 down to 11x11 AND mix up West/East all confusing like?

15x15* to 11*11

RIP xbox players, the lag to sail from an owned island to the golden age area, would have been better to reduce the lawless islands not for more ppl on to them (PvE) they will have no chance to setup on a lawless island to once ppl start building big walls all over the island, the build blocking is still an issue and the 1 structure auto-decay is so easy to negate that it's pre pointless

I think that everyone will basically go as close as possible to the temperate/equatorial line. This will enable people to have a place where all crops and be grown, and another where all animals can be bred. The rest of the map will not have a solid concentration of population. Not really a fan of creating an environment where everyone will be clustered in one area, rendering the remaining portions of the map relatively useless. Am I missing something?

@Nami

@Gortok

Welcome! Glad to have you onboard, I look forward to hearing more news soon(tm)!

Map looks neat, cant wait to see island locations on it, I think it will be interesting to say the least. Will we be able to go from A1 to A11 or A1 to K1?

Also looking forward to more news on the PvE situation. As others have noted combining 450 servers into 121 servers may cause some overpopulation/Xbox issues.. can you confirm if there will be 2 server groups (ie 2 11x11 server groups) for pve on map release/patch day or just the one server group (ie 1 11x11 server group)

Thanks,

Gin

Ok folks I have one teensy little issue with a smaller map. Dont get me wrong I like the idea of not having to sail for hour after hour to get anywhere, however, the na pve server has been taken offline giving the eu pve a massive influx of players already. Unfortunately and I know this is not going to be a popular opinion but the map needs to be made larger with more islands available to be claimed by smaller companies whilst somehow implementing a system that's stops the megas buying up all the smaller islands and instead making it more worthwhile for them to set up bases on the bigger islands. Also giving us the option of a cross platform server and dedicated console servers would be nice

• Like 1

Don't expect a warm welcome when the community has been given the cold shoulder for so long.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Grendalsh said:

A smaller world will drive more interactions for a smaller population. 
How are you addressing the need to escape the land resource grind in order to participate in the ocean game?
Some method of hiring NPCs and training them to harvest mats would go a long way towards freeing players to focus on actually pirating at end game.
Being able to blueprint a completed ship, throw that into a smithy, and have NPCs take over constructing the basic hull would free players to focus on customization and play, rather than spending a week landside for every sea adventure. 

Vitamin deficiencies effects should persist through death, to make cooked food worth the effort. No more killing yourself to get past not bothering with vitamin D. 
Conversely, significantly increase the time it takes to get a vitamin deficiency. It should take several days real time to get a vitamin deficiency debuff, and similarly a few game days of eating right to remove it. It should be something you had to actually work at neglecting your character to get, but them have to actually work to get rid of. 

Your suggestion on vitamin deficiencies are out there, it is already hard enough to micromanage it as it is, I guess if you have a LARGE company that are doing the gathering and building and feeding and taming and raising the babes and gardening then sure as you have nothing to do anyway..... that would be fine but not for a solo player. I don't join large groups for a reason, I like to get my moneys worth out of a game and that means playing all aspects it has to offer, gathering, taming, mating, raising, etc. etc. why buy a game if you are just going to have others play it for you, seems a waste imo but to each their own.

• Like 3

I'm glad. I'm gonna jump in after wipe.

I know this is not going to be a popular opinion but the map needs to be made larger with more islands available

No need to make map larger. With current grid and islands sizes it's possible to multiply amount of islands at least twice.

19 hours ago, Zoch007 said:

Does East and West mean something different in atlas then the real world???

Are you a member of flat earth society?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/18/2020 at 11:55 PM, electricjazz said:

I've always been PVE, even on Ark and it always irked me when new things were added and important mechanics changed that hurt PVE for the sake of PVP balance (flyer nerf). The same with Atlas. Please Wild Card/Grapeshot, give some love and attention to your loyal PVE fans. Thank you.

i couldnt agree more, the moment i stoped having fun in this game was when they nerfed the guns's PVE damage to "balance PVP" and when they nerfed the glider for PVP reasons (again), i can hardly imagine the game in its current state being able to afford losing its PVE players.

On 6/18/2020 at 11:34 PM, Jat said:

Alrighty, news is out there now. Probably no surprise to most that Dollie and myself have been working on ARK for sometime now. We're glad to finally be able to introduce some of ATLAS new crew members, including their Community folk. ❤️

It was a pleasure sailing the seas with y'all and we're looking forward to the changes that are coming from the team. :pirate_mask:

does that mean you are no longer associated with this project and the decision making in regards of ATLAS?

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2020 at 12:57 AM, Yomaz said:

I really hope you just take out some grids in current map. Im sure this sounds like a fix for some issues but I assure you that it will create new ones and take away a feeling of actually sailing the world instead of just some random map some game designers throw at us haphazardly. As a pve player since launch  I wish you would just say if your not getting enough traffic on your pve servers to make it worth it because that would be the only reason I could see why you are taking a new direction. I feel basically you want to limit the money your spending on the official servers and run us to community servers. Most of us that choose official have multiple reasons but id say the biggest for me is the thought that if I log in every 7ish days(tame timer diffen't than structure timer) I would have a persistent game world to come back to. Give us some stability a lot of things in this game require possibly hundreds of hours to do  which is fine if you believe it will still be there tomorrow. Last note seriously take out some grids in a square around middle and put new age ruins through out the middle of the entire grid all will be happier.

indeed, one of the critical mistakes done with this game since start was the lack of value given to the player's time investment, yet as i read how they have decided to set up the new map i find evident that (at least in PVP) bases getting completely and utterly destroyed will still be a thing (wich i dont mind) i just hope we PVErs can finally get rid of the "decay timers" since i made an oath with myself that i wouldnt be playing this game for as long as decay timers exist.

Edited by The D Legacy
  • Like 2

On 6/19/2020 at 12:38 AM, Akajerry said:

so if you live on the edge of the map your gonna have to travel 5 hours just to get to the golden ages? the people who live closer to the golden ages are going to be at a great advantage with closer availability to better bps. this looks BAD

they clearly stated this is done to encite conflict, wich makes sense, if you are not gonna play a PVP server probably you shouldnt care.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 1:00 AM, Gortok said:

Hi Folks. I was brought on recently to help build a new team working exclusively on Atlas! I know there's been a lull in development lately, and we've actually got several things that are in development that we are going to be rolling out over the next couple months. I want to address a few design topics about this map.

We wanted to get people moving around the world more. This map lays some of the groundwork for that, and aligns with some of the systems we're rolling out in the next couple months that we will have details on soon. What's shown here is the plant and weather biome layout, which dictates what type of plants an area contains. We've separated the mineral layer and the edges of those mineral biomes do not line up with the plant biomes. The areas in the middle of the map are densely populated with islands and are closest to the most diverse selections of plants and minerals. The outer areas of the map have less access to rich diversity of resources, and they also use the claim system. This is intentional. The outskirts are safer and less rewarding.

In the short term, we expect more conflict in the center of the map around the Golden Age Islands. We're also introducing new systems for Trading that we will dive into soon. This should provide opportunities for both cooperation and conflict. What's a pirate game without the opportunity to pillage trade routes? More on that in the weeks to come.

Hello @Gortok and welcome.

I have a question, do you have any plans to rework/change the rules of the current claim system? or will they stay as they are?. one of the many reasons of controversy in this game was the fact that "pirates" were forced into a "feudal" territory system in wich everything they had could be lost at the whim of the "overlord" (island owner) wich for many was a conceptual contradiction with the standar idea of what a pirate life is about (freedom), hence i am curious if that will remain or will be reworked.

Also, I am what you would call a completionist and i absolutely detest the idea of losing progress simply for not accesing the game, decay timers were actually the main reason (among many others) for me to quit, and i will never comeback as long as they are present (in PVE), so could you clarify if they will stil exist in this new development approach?

And lastly for now, Winds, the first image that comes to mind when sailing in ATLAS is mentioned is that one time that i had to spend literally 1 hr of my time to sail across 2 regions due to wind directions being constantly against me, honestly thats an experience i am not willing to repeat, so i would like to know if there is any rework ideas on the matter.

Edited by The D Legacy
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ZetaZhan said:

Why would you join a MMO pirate game to PVE. that just makes no sense. Go singleplayer then. 

why would you want to assert dominance over a bunch of pixels if at the end of the day when you go out in real life you will still feel the need to quench your inferiority complex?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The D Legacy said:

they clearly stated this is done to encite conflict, wich makes sense, if you are not gonna play a PVP server probably you shouldnt care.

thats the point, the people are being forced to do something they dont want to do, and if they do this with every map then its just a loose loose situation for pve players

9 hours ago, Az Apocalyptic said:

thats the point, the people are being forced to do something they dont want to do, and if they do this with every map then its just a loose loose situation for pve players

when you say being forced to do something they dont want to can you clarify exactly what you mean? there are many things that fit that description in this game

This post reminds me of that time my drunken father came back home after being missing for eight months and told me I had to change schools because we were moving with no explanation of why. He also introduced my new “mom and brother”. He was really friendly but I just felt like I was being poorly handled.

• Haha 2

On 6/18/2020 at 9:55 PM, kalohepirate said:

one would think a sailing game that uses maps would have figured out where east and west is, but then again.....I guess not.

Still waiting to hear the why we've been sold a game that has PVE for it to be now removed.  Maybe that we got new community managers we can get some answers to why NA PVE is removed and what sounds like EU PVE could be gone next.

Making an educated guess here. I would imagine the NA PVE server has been decommissioned as it had the lowest population of the 4 available worlds. I would also guess they have done this as to free up the hardware to build out the new world for load testing on comparative systems. Thus reducing unnecessary expenditure and allowing them to develop the new world faster.

Can you confirm please  @Chismebeard @Gortok and @Nami?

Really excited to see the neaxt phase of development!

Edited by Captain Fatbeard
typo

Hopefully with the new system and map there's some kind of build limit on islands. I get tired of dashboarding as I approach an island only to load back in and my ship is crashed and I am dead because people build unnecessary structures that cause serious lag for others...

• Like 2

The map is a lot smaller, I think this will be laggy as hell for Xbox players....

• Like 1

I wih you the best of luck. If you respect honesty  then the following should not offend you and you may even come to regard the following as constructive criticism...

Not a SINGLE PLAYER ASKED FOR YOUR RESUME. Harsh, i know, but its a fact. Corporate advocated a pep rally that statistically speaking is irrelevant.

I have personnally asked......How.... Many....... Atlas..... Game......Hours....Do......You......Have?.....

Are you capable of operating independently from the incompetent leadership?

When will the "pre release" end? When will the company begin taking responsibility for the product its selling/ releasing?

How will changes that wipe hours of gameplay be handled moving forward??

Not responding directly to ANY of these questiong is proof that the chain of command is comprised and all players should just let the crooked companys involved keep thier con money and the player base should permanently boycot the products.

Harsh, i know but weve been left zero recourse.

Ranger1k, Formerly from the Company The Military. PLEASE show some support community

• Thanks 1

I personally do not understand why the game would be going more towards PVP. I've seen the PVP servers there's no actual pirates on there. 90% of it is offline griefing the rest is camping free ports. To those who think that PVE players shouldn't play a pirate game you're absolutely right. they should immediately remove all cargo racks and player shops from the building selection. they should remove weight sails and anything else that is not related to piracy.... Smh. If it was just a pirate game you wouldn't have the option to be a merchant, a breeder or other things. 

Maybe the pvpers would like it better if y'all just made this into a pirate version of call of duty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1