ATLAS

Captain’s Log #39: Meet The Crew!

Greetin's Pathfinders!

:anchor: News from the Cabin :anchor:

In this Captain’s Log, your new Community Team will be emerging from below deck to introduce themselves and also to touch on exciting new developments for ATLAS. We look forward to sharing further details on our roadmap with players in the near future, but for now, whet ye appetites on these tasty morsels!

:wheel:

First up! I'm Chismebeard (Ye can jus' call me Chisme, which is Gossip in Spanish, pronounced chees-meh) yer new Senior Community Manager o'er at Grapeshot Games! As we ramp up the crew for the new content we plan to bring you in the coming months, you can expect Nami and me to communicate your feedback and excitement back to main base.

Here's a wee bit o’ background about me: I've been working in the gaming industry for over 5 years and have experience in building up nonprofits. When I'm not working, you'll most likely find me playing monster-catching games, farming games, and first-person shooters. I've been playing ATLAS with the development crew over the last few months and can say it's a game I'll be sinking many hours into. I'm excited to get to know this awesome community of scallywags!

I can be reached directly on our Forums as Chismebeard & Discord as Chismebeard#4432.

Ahoy Pathfinders~!

Nami here sailing in on the waves and happy to be a part of the ATLAS crew! I'll be on deck with ChismeBeard as another Community Manager. First-mate, doctor, shipwright, archaeologist, musician, sniper, cook, navigator... whatever we need, I'm here to help! Okay, maybe not navigator... unlike my namesake, I'm directionally challenged. But you know, as I like to quote, "there is little difference between being lost and exploring" and we're excited to be exploring all the new things coming to ATLAS with all of you! 🙂

When I'm not getting lost at sea or trying to outdo Chisme's “chees-eh” puns, you can find me watching anime (You can probably guess one of them, shishishi), working out (manning the sails is great for the arms!), and of course, playing games! I love platinuming RPGs, supporting feeders on MOBAs, being bad at matchmaking shooters, dungeon running in MMOs, and living out my own version of Groundhog's Day in survival games lol. Fun fact: I drew a life-size Jack Sparrow for my art final back in high school. I'm sure that qualifies me as a pirate.

Please feel free to reach out to me at Nami#6151 on Discord, as long as you're not also reaching out for our treasure 😉

Yo ho! Primus here -- I recently joined the Grapeshot team as the lead designer for ATLAS. My focus is to steer the new vision for the game (more below), creating a busy roadmap of content as we steer it towards 1.0. Prior to working on ATLAS, I led the player experience, economy, and crafting efforts for the fantasy game Wildstar. At Riot Games, I was a game designer working on new player experience, matchmaking, and the ranking system. Much of my career has been spent developing gameplay that enhances how people competitively work together and against each other in a simulated world. During my free time, I play a myriad of game genres, including strategy, shooters, co-op survivals, and more! You can find me commenting in the Forums as Gortok - feel free to say Hi!

As mentioned on Monday, we’ve redesigned the whole World Map and today, we wanted to give Pathfinders more insight on some of the upcoming changes. The new map was designed with the goal to drive more interactions between players -- both competitive and cooperative!

atlaspreview2020.jpg

The Golden Age islands are moving to the map center, surrounding it with a high-density ring of lawless territory, and adding sparse island outskirts where players can claim island territory to have a lower-risk experience. This will reduce the amount of sailing between core islands, incite more conflict, and give more opportunity for Companies to capture and control water lanes for the upcoming Trade Route system -- but we’re getting ahead of ourselves on that new system -- we’ll reveal details in the weeks ahead!!

Happy Sailing,

- ATLAS Crew

:skull: For the latest dispatch on #playATLAS keep yer one good eye trained on this here information :skull:

Natter n' chatter on Discord: https://discord.gg/playatlas
Hear ye, hear ye on Twitterhttps://twitter.com/sailtheatlas
Watch us scallywags on Twitch: http://twitch.tv/sailtheatlas
Plus ye can band with us Pirates on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/playatlasgame

View full article

• Like 1

Does East and West mean something different in atlas then the real world???

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

I'm really excited . Thanks for keeping this game alive and updating it. I'm looking forward to the changes! Please keep interaction and communication high!  Thank you. 

• Confused 4

1 minute ago, 8ball said:

Will there still be a maw?

yes it will be in F6 looks like now

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Zoch007 said:

Does East and West mean something different in atlas then the real world???

one would think a sailing game that uses maps would have figured out where east and west is, but then again.....I guess not.

Still waiting to hear the why we've been sold a game that has PVE for it to be now removed.  Maybe that we got new community managers we can get some answers to why NA PVE is removed and what sounds like EU PVE could be gone next.

• Like 4

Loving this new map redesign!  Still waiting to hear how you change the game and make sea content more viable though.  I'm really looking forward to that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

Did we really go from 25x25 down to 11x11 AND mix up West/East all confusing like?

I can't believe this.... do you guys have more to share? Like... pronto style...?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, xwildslicerx said:

Did we really go from 25x25 down to 11x11 AND mix up West/East all confusing like?

I can't believe this.... do you guys have more to share? Like... pronto style...?

I'm hoping the reason for this is to have more offical servers. 

Smaller sailing zone, and spread the users over 2 officials, would help overall gameplay 

Just now, TacticalNatty said:

I'm hoping the reason for this is to have more offical servers. 

Smaller sailing zone, and spread the users over 2 officials, would help overall gameplay 

But then why remove NA PVE....?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

What a relief to see some progress being made and new ideas being worked on.
This game has so much potential, even more than ark! ^^

I hope there will be a new PvPvE map system where (almost) pure PvE could be an option, but with PvP on the other hand being way more rewarding. (to make the PvE players try it out aswell) 

It would be awesome to have a thriving economy, with blueprints, rare items, cosmetics and so on. Fun achievements, rare ship parts and equipment to get as a reward for sinking ships, keeping control of certain outposts in the PvP areas and so on.
And all that while still having a safezone to hang out in, aka your main base. 
Add more complete, usable structures and houses to replace the hundreds of floors, walls and ceilings to reduce lag and bring more immersion to the game as a whole.
Reduce the powercreep of blueprints and weapons/armor, make 150% damage blueprints really rare or give them out as rewards for certain tasks. 
Make gold more valuable (so we dont pay 10s of thousands of gold for one tame or ship anymore, because everyone has so much).

These are just some suggestions that I came up with.  Im sure all of you have even better ideas and also a way to implement them.

Dont be scared to try out new features, listen to the community, see what they are asking for, ignore all the hate and insults from these idiots and prove them wrong.
I've been playing since day 1 and I had lots of fun ever since. (yes, we exist) :D

We will stick along so hopefully you guys will too! ^^
We all want the game to succeed
Hopes are high, Good luck :D

• Like 7

i like the golden age location but the biome are in shit location they should be mixes like before and have the golden age in the middle

Edited by kawas

Alrighty, news is out there now. Probably no surprise to most that Dollie and myself have been working on ARK for sometime now. We're glad to finally be able to introduce some of ATLAS new crew members, including their Community folk. ❤️

It was a pleasure sailing the seas with y'all and we're looking forward to the changes that are coming from the team. :pirate_mask:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

as far as eastern and western go, honestly if you were to be visualizing this map as a top down viewpoint on on a glode, the east and west layout is actually accurate if assuming a traditional spin pattern and major axis tilt. not really sure how that gose for the polar and equatorial sections though, but they are also accurate to be opposite of one another. its just  funny angle to be considering i guess.

secondly were as i too am not super thrilled about PvP in this type of game, mainly cause its so difficult to create an acceptable balance to cater to all manners of players, whether casual or hardcore or in between. for us smaller groups of less than 5 members in company, we stand little to 0 chance against megas if they have uncontested free reign on the maps. offline destruction and griefing being huge issues, its makes it extremely hard to enjoy a game when all your effort can be wiped out with not way to stop it, contest it, or even save and retreat. for those of us that just love the concept of the game, sailing around in hard worked earned ships, successful breeding of animals to just the perfect stats, if we have no way to protect those then it feels like a huge waste of time to play the game just to see it taken away. im hoping as to what it sounds like the developers have stated this map to be, that yes they want to focus the game towards the pvp, but they dont want PvP to be the only way possible to enjoy the game. it sounds like they are moving higher risk PvP play inwards on the map as u get closer to venturing into the golden age territories. Maybe this means that there will be a more casual PvE feel if your company doesnt plan to go for end game level stuff like a full mythical galleon and whatnot, but just want to play the game for the tames and occasional exploration. its possible there will be grids further out of those golden age zones that will allow that, similar to the "ring" they implied for the lawless reginon stated around the golden age territories. i dont know if that will be appealing really, i guess its all speculative right now until we see it first hand. but they did state that they plan to just adjust the ratio in favor of PvP combat in some degree, but they didnt out right say there will be NO PvE zones period.

Edited by Cpt. Kringle

Jat, I have bought most of you're companies games and have concluded that you would make an amazing pve mmo. But you always push the pvp, why? has it previously succeeded? I reckon one of you must either be a massive tabletop gamer or a fan of Risk.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Demon Meliodas said:

Que alívio ver algum progresso sendo feito e novas idéias sendo trabalhadas.
Este jogo tem muito potencial, ainda mais que a arca! ^^

Espero que exista um novo sistema de mapas PvPvE onde o PvE (quase) puro possa ser uma opção, mas o PvP, por outro lado, é muito mais gratificante. (para fazer os jogadores de PvE experimentarem também) 

Seria incrível ter uma economia próspera, com projetos, itens raros, cosméticos e assim por diante. Realizações divertidas, peças e equipamentos raros para receber como recompensa por naufrágios, mantendo o controle de certos postos avançados nas áreas de PvP e assim por diante.
E tudo isso enquanto ainda há uma área de segurança para se hospedar, também conhecida como sua base principal. 
Adicione estruturas e casas mais completas e utilizáveis para substituir as centenas de pisos, paredes e tetos para reduzir o atraso e trazer mais imersão ao jogo como um todo.
Reduza o poder de rascunho de projetos e armas / armaduras, faça com que os projetos de dano de 150% sejam realmente raros ou ofereça-os como recompensa por determinadas tarefas. 
Torne o ouro mais valioso (para que não pagemos mais milhares de dólares por um manso ou navio, porque todo mundo tem muito).

Estas são apenas algumas sugestões que eu vim com. Tenho certeza de que todos vocês têm idéias ainda melhores e também uma maneira de implementá-las.

Não tenha medo de experimentar novos recursos, ouvir a comunidade, ver o que eles estão pedindo, ignorar todo o ódio e insultos desses idiotas e provar que estão errados.
Eu jogo desde o primeiro dia e me diverti muito desde então. (sim, nós existimos): D

Vamos nos manter tão esperançosamente que vocês também! ^^
Todos nós queremos que o jogo tenha sucesso As
esperanças são altas, boa sorte : D

I do these as my words and I would like to put some more suggestions:
- Give more use to the ports. A port should be a place where everyone at the end of the day shoulding want to be. They are currently ghost towns. We have no use for them and to make matters worse, nor can we stay there, or we lose our ships.
-  Kitchen and agriculture. Manufactured and / or grown food must be able to be sold in the store! They should also serve more purposes and bring much more benefits to the player. That way, we would have more trading items in the game!
-  It is necessary to give much more love and attention to solo players. Many Atlas players like to play outside a company, but the rules of the game benefit companies, and individual players are overlooked.
- It is past time to improve the vitamin system. I believe that agriculture and cooking could work with more unity. Mybe!

So are PvE and PvP players on the same map? That would mean the PvP players stopping the PvE players from getting to the GA and Kraken?

Maybe you guys ought to just come up with other, non-compass-related descriptions to replace "Eastern" and "Western". Those tags really only make sense in a globe-based map (like the old one, even if it was flat). Perhaps "High Temperate" and "Low Temperate", "High Tropics" and "Low Tropics", to resemble the desert zones?

Speaking of global, will the map still "wrap around" left/right and top/bottom?

• Like 1

A smaller world will drive more interactions for a smaller population. 
How are you addressing the need to escape the land resource grind in order to participate in the ocean game?
Some method of hiring NPCs and training them to harvest mats would go a long way towards freeing players to focus on actually pirating at end game.
Being able to blueprint a completed ship, throw that into a smithy, and have NPCs take over constructing the basic hull would free players to focus on customization and play, rather than spending a week landside for every sea adventure. 

Vitamin deficiencies effects should persist through death, to make cooked food worth the effort. No more killing yourself to get past not bothering with vitamin D. 
Conversely, significantly increase the time it takes to get a vitamin deficiency. It should take several days real time to get a vitamin deficiency debuff, and similarly a few game days of eating right to remove it. It should be something you had to actually work at neglecting your character to get, but them have to actually work to get rid of. 

Edited by Grendalsh

I've always been PVE, even on Ark and it always irked me when new things were added and important mechanics changed that hurt PVE for the sake of PVP balance (flyer nerf). The same with Atlas. Please Wild Card/Grapeshot, give some love and attention to your loyal PVE fans. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jat said:

Alrighty, news is out there now. Probably no surprise to most that Dollie and myself have been working on ARK for sometime now. We're glad to finally be able to introduce some of ATLAS new crew members, including their Community folk. ❤️

It was a pleasure sailing the seas with y'all and we're looking forward to the changes that are coming from the team. :pirate_mask:

Its not a surprise now, but you really could have communicated the state of the game a lot better before all went silent near the genesis launch.
Hopefully this new team will not make the same mistakes and make an effort to explain future gaps of communication.  Has the phases for the game we saw last year been thrown out the windows?  or being rethought?   Please shed some light soon and don't keep us in the dark again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Juliocp said:

I do these as my words and I would like to put some more suggestions:
- Give more use to the ports. A port should be a place where everyone at the end of the day shoulding want to be. They are currently ghost towns. We have no use for them and to make matters worse, nor can we stay there, or we lose our ships.
-  Kitchen and agriculture. Manufactured and / or grown food must be able to be sold in the store! They should also serve more purposes and bring much more benefits to the player. That way, we would have more trading items in the game!
-  It is necessary to give much more love and attention to solo players. Many Atlas players like to play outside a company, but the rules of the game benefit companies, and individual players are overlooked.
- It is past time to improve the vitamin system. I believe that agriculture and cooking could work with more unity. Mybe!

Lol dude, if these are PvPvE servers, then why take over the island? You can live in a free port and raid everyone with the help of the "mechanics" of the free port that you offer, on the contrary, developers need to reduce the time that the ship can spend in this port. In pvp
it's been abused for a long time. A free port without rotting ships - unbalanced shit
upsets the balance in the game, you already have a peaceful phase of 15 hours, what else is needed? In the first season of Atlas PVP there were no peaceful stages at all, and everyone survived as best they could ...

• Thanks 1