Sign in to follow this  
Merder

I miss this game...

I was really into this game for while and played for probably around 900 hours.  After it seemed like the developers lost interest I stopped playing.  The game was stale and had too many unresolved issues.  I decided not to invest any more time in a game that seemed like it would never be finished.

But I have to admit, Atlas was my favorite among all of the multiplayer "survival" games I ever played.  Ark is ok, but I'm just not into dinosaurs.  Dark and Light was great.  It came from the same "mold" as Ark and Atlas but it was all but abandoned too.  One of the things I loved about Atlas was the vast open world.  No other survival game that I know of is even trying to replicate that.  (Last Oasis is trying, but their "world" is just a bunch of identical copies of three main maps.)  I think the big thing I loved about Atlas was the fact that there were lots of different things for players to do.  You could have fun building bases, building ships, taming animals, hunting treasure, or just adventuring on the high seas.  The huge world meant that there were tons of places to explore.

With a great deal of sadness I always wonder, "What happened to this game?"  It was so popular when it came out and the developers inexplicably abandoned it.  I know that some work is still ongoing, but I wish we would hear some real news.  Some small part of me hopes that they've been toiling away in secret on the game and one day, out of the blue a gigantic overhaul patch is going to come out, addressing most of the shortcomings of the game.

Until then I'll just keep hoping.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I loved playing Atlas but there is only so much you can take without content and being updated. Once you've done most of the things in the game sailing out at sea spending hours travelling just gets repetitive and boring, at least for me.

I only keep coming back to the forums because of the people on here who have been playing from the beginning like me and to see if there is any news on things.

As for Ark, i've never played it but if nobody knows Ark is free right now on Epic Games Store and I will leave the link below. If you haven't got it already might be worthwhile claiming it for free as it's only free for the next week I think. I probably won't play it but still it's always there if I want to. I just wish they all worked on Atlas rather than Ark.

Ark for free

There are other games this has happened to, like dark and light, and citadel, strangely both associated with the same companies. I still play them both from time to time cos I really like the games, but new content only gets added after months and months. It's a shame ,because tbh I absolutely love dark and light, and the building in citadel forged with fire is second to none. The good thing is though oddly these games have never been abandoned by the devs, so they still run ok and I guess they just add content when they get the time.

On 6/13/2020 at 6:06 PM, Nutcutt3r said:

These developers suck. No other way around it.

And that is the reason why i would not have ark on my PC even when it is free.

Or any other crap any of these greedy, incompetent idiot companies they create will ever release in the future.

Because now i know that they are incompetent idiots. It is not a mere assumption any longer.

On 6/12/2020 at 7:57 PM, Merder said:

One of the things I loved about Atlas was the vast open world.  No other survival game that I know of is even trying to replicate that.  (Last Oasis is trying, but their "world" is just a bunch of identical copies of three main maps.)  I think the big thing I loved about Atlas was the fact that there were lots of different things for players to do.  You could have fun building bases, building ships, taming animals, hunting treasure, or just adventuring on the high seas.

Atlas islands, too, are dozens of copies of only a handful of distinct island models.

And regarding the "vast amount" of things you can do in atlas, lets do a quick recap of what end game consists of, shall we?

* Breeding bears

* Breeding turtles

* Breeding elephants

* Breeding dinosaurs

This game had a lot of potential but then took a quick turn towards the dull and uninspired, along with an unfathomably stupid balance for pvp.

The sooner this failed piece of shit disappears without leaving a trace, the better.

On 6/12/2020 at 7:57 PM, Merder said:

I was really into this game for while and played for probably around 900 hours.  After it seemed like the developers lost interest I stopped playing.  The game was stale and had too many unresolved issues.  I decided not to invest any more time in a game that seemed like it would never be finished.

But I have to admit, Atlas was my favorite among all of the multiplayer "survival" games I ever played.  Ark is ok, but I'm just not into dinosaurs.  Dark and Light was great.  It came from the same "mold" as Ark and Atlas but it was all but abandoned too.  One of the things I loved about Atlas was the vast open world.  No other survival game that I know of is even trying to replicate that.  (Last Oasis is trying, but their "world" is just a bunch of identical copies of three main maps.)  I think the big thing I loved about Atlas was the fact that there were lots of different things for players to do.  You could have fun building bases, building ships, taming animals, hunting treasure, or just adventuring on the high seas.  The huge world meant that there were tons of places to explore.

With a great deal of sadness I always wonder, "What happened to this game?"  It was so popular when it came out and the developers inexplicably abandoned it.  I know that some work is still ongoing, but I wish we would hear some real news.  Some small part of me hopes that they've been toiling away in secret on the game and one day, out of the blue a gigantic overhaul patch is going to come out, addressing most of the shortcomings of the game.

what happened? is quite evident isnt it? they took the money and ran *shrugs*

On 6/12/2020 at 10:57 AM, Merder said:

I also have been playing Last Oasis. That game also has a long way to go. I just stopped playing it when the ARK Crystal Isles was released as a DLC. That will probably keep my interest until the New Map just announced for Atlas comes out. I will probably be back to Atlas at that point to try it out.

Well check out the latest announcements about new team members and the new map coming.

I agree that this is an awesome game.  Way better than Ark. I'm working on bringing several new players over to it.  I just think it hasn't gotten enough marketing. They're also not charging enough for Atlas.  It's a steal at its current price for what you get.

2 hours ago, Thayxen said:

Well check out the latest announcements about new team members and the new map coming.

I agree that this is an awesome game.  Way better than Ark. I'm working on bringing several new players over to it.  I just think it hasn't gotten enough marketing. They're also not charging enough for Atlas.  It's a steal at its current price for what you get.

Nah, not really.

On 6/19/2020 at 6:20 PM, Thayxen said:

I can sell you a ton of skunk feces for only 1$.

It's a steal at that price for what you get.

If you give me your shipping address, i can send it to you today.

On 6/19/2020 at 6:20 PM, Thayxen said:

*facepalm*

are you by any chance american?

2 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

*facepalm*

are you by any chance american?

I hope not. Because I am and I definitely don’t think that he does lol

• Like 1

Yep both American and Aussie.  Lots of negativity on these boards!  It's up to you to find your own happiness, good luck!

Skyrim, Atlas, and Ark are my favorite games at the moment!!   Probably in that exact order to. 

I don't tend to play online any more, after my friend couldn't dedicate time to the chores of online maintenance, we decided to go private and it still remains our #1 game of choice for multiplayer... although since the updates to Empyrion, curiosity has kept him away..   But, sailing is still fun, and living a nomadic life in Atlas is as good as it gets for me 😍

• Like 1

@Vorxius 

We did that with Ark.  A few guys that use to guild / raid in WoW back in the day on a private server, with long spoil times and a bunch of other custom settings that let us step away when we're busy.  The lack of pvp does get to me though.  So far, got 5 people interested & ready to go on official once the Atlas wipe is complete.  Happy sailing to yee!