MunchATG

Please can someon advise me on breeding

Hi guys and girls. Have been playing since the back end of last year now and am a fairly competent tamer. However I would like to breed some of our bears and tigers so would like some pointers, I plan on setting up in a temperate zone for the bears and am unsure with the tigers as of yet. I have the willingness to learn I would just like not to kill off my first litter of bears. Also, what is the average number of Cubs I can expect from each pairing? If anyone is willing to provide me with some expert guidance I thank you in advance. Cheers

Temperate is good for bears, usually never have to worry about temp.

Use any veggie for food as it gives the most food and lasts the longest. I would stuff mine till 4 stacks of celery then just leave em be, that will be enough to 10%. (At 10% they eat from feeding troughs). IIRC 1 stack lasts about 45 min, so you are able to wander off and do some other stuff.

Most of the time youll get 1 cub. But you can get triplets and twins too. (IIRC id get maybe 4 sets of twins with 50 bears poping per run, but rng is rng)

Dont feel bad if your 1st ones go, youll quickly get to the point of letting half or more of a liter die bc of crap stats. (At my "prime" Id pop 50-75 bears and keep 3 or 4 on a good day)

Tigers our company was breeding in tropics but I think you had to heat em at night. There might be better biome but honestly not sure.

Just have lots of meat ready, you will have to baby sit these guys. Dont forget to restack meat in troughs every so often as itll let stacks last a little longer than having em spread out. (Ie 25 stacks will rot 25 meat per decay, but if you can restack em to 13, only 13 stacks are exposed, so you lose 13 meat per decay instead of 25)

Edited by Gindorf
words are hard
  • Like 1

Thank you. Most helpful. All I have to do now is prepare for the long haul over weekend to try the breeding out, I believe it will take about 30 hours of game play till I can leave the little critters alone, is this still true or has breeding been patched? Most of the info I have found is over a year old. Not overly concerned about the stats just yet, I just need to replace my first wild tames that have maxed out at 31, 32 and 34. I plan on breeding a 63 male with a 68 and 69 female to hopefully get some good results. Fingers crossed!

Nah man it wont take 30hours. Once pregnant you come back in 4 hours for the birth then...

For bears its about 2 hours till you can get the 4 stacks, then its just like 2 min ever 8 hours.

Tigers will take a little longer, thinks its like 6 hours? To get the tigers to 10%.

After 10% the babies will eat from feeding troughs and are immune to the heat/cold, so you just come back for imprints.

WRT levels, stats for the baby are based on the base stats when tamed (31,32,34) not thier current level (63, 68, 69).

Ahh thank you. Did not know that's where the bred levels came from. Glad the times have been adjusted so those of us who have to adult occasionally aren't penalized. 

Yeah, I would have never touched breeding had they not made those changes.

With levels, the higher the wild level (level before tame + taming bonus) the higher the stats. The stats are random so you will not necessarily get the same values per animal. This gives incentive to tame multiple lvl 30 animals (Wild level 44 (might be 45 cant remember if its +14 or +15 on perfect tame)) in order to push for better stats.

When you breed, you have a chance of stats passing from mom/dad to the cub. Ideally, you would combine say your highest stat X (HP as example) m/f with your highest stat Y (say Melee for example) f/m and hope the baby picks up both stats. If not rinse repeat until it gets both. Then take your next highest stat Z (Weight as example) and breed that with your new HP/Melee max stat bear and hope to pickup the hp, melee, and weight. Etc, etc until you have all your best stats in a single bear. The total of stats of an animal will determine its wild level, combining max stats is how you push the base WL. (I think we finished at WL 120ish (0 muts) last time I played, which means the bear was lvl 120 right out the erm.. gate)

Once you have that max bear, you breed en masse to get a bunch of stock and to start mutation hunting. After 20 mutations its much more difficult to get a new mutation, so what I would do is go until say I got HP Mutation 1, then start a new (separate breed line) which would focus on HP until I had 20 of that. Repeat (separate breed line) for the other mutations until you have a bear with 20 muts in a single stat (at peak I had ~50 bears per mutated stat lines). Then combine all those for the monster bears. The big thing with mutations is you should always breed a X/20 mutation with a 0/20 mutation, as the mutations from the mother + father are "passed" (even if the stat doesnt pass on) to the baby... so a 5/20 mother and 5/20 father would net a 10/20 baby, which can get out of hand fast. (We had a "dirty" line with like 800 mutations at one point, but not the stats. This is also why I would kill so many cubs. This is beyond your initial breeding and is the "end game" from a breeding perspective.

Stats are less important for 1st or 2nd breeding as the imprint bonus (30% damage, 30% damage taken reduction when imprinted rider is riding, plus stat bonuses) is very valuable starting out. Stat bonuses from imprints do not transfer to new cubs, its only the base stats when its born (I would put 2 folders in the inventory with base stats, so I knew who had what)

Other than that only other pointers I can think of would be, when the babies pop you have to claim it (whoever claims it will imprint on it, and will have to do the additional imprints for more bonus), you have about 1-2min before itll die from starvation. So you claim, open inventory, stuff food in, then disable wander. (Animals are default to wander when born).

If you got any other questions give a shout and good luck!

Thank you so much. Thats the most in depth information I have been able to get from anywhere so that should help a lot indeed. I'm assuming to avoid mutations in the breed line I either need fresh breeding stock to keep the gene pool stable or, as in real animal breeding I can mate the grandparents and grand children together. How much of a negative impact do the mutations have on the animals out of curiosity? 

No negative impact, its just for additional stats. A mutation might be something like 173 melee mutates to 186 melee. Ive also seen mutations where no stats changed (might have been a color mutation, but i dont think colors are implemented yet)

And you end up breeding parents with children, theres no penalty for that.

Ok that's cool. Colour mutations do interest me slightly seeing as I have managed to tame me a nice purple bear. Unfortunately she was only a level 2 but I really wanted her for the colour. Nice to know I can breed offspring and parents as well.

If the bear alrdy has the color, you can breed in colors. Iirc, there are 3 (might be 4?) color areas. Legs/belly, upper chest/flanks, back (cant recall if back stripes are seperate from back)

Same concept as stats, just colors instead. But color mutations like in ark, arent there yet.

It's good to have 4 days off for tigers if you want to do a good imprinting 1 of them every 8 hours 6Xs, and sleep in between that. The one person is wright about meat have a good supply in the troth and keep monitoring it (this is what killed mine 1st juvenile). They ALL will eat salted meat and salted meat lasts longer in the troth however the downside is making it takes tons of salt (live next to freeport?) and I use 5 tigers to fill 2 preserving bags and 3 stacks of 500 preserving salts. This is how I will do the next one when I get days off work.

Edited by Jay8454

To give an update on tigers:

This is how it all worked for me.

From birth every minute, it will gain 1 food count. I used bone marrow for the baby it seemed to give the baby better health points than anything else. So, I spent a lot of time stocking up to 500 bone marrow in a preserving bag keeping ice in it.

The baby is NOT tied to your character hot/cold stats so, don't go by them to keep your baby alive.

After an hour your up to 70 and when it gets to 2 rows of food it gets easier but be vigilant of these times:

In-game time(s) are found at the Atlas tab at the top. (everyone knows this?)

12:00 around that time they will ALWAYS need an Icebox to cool down (Hot icon appears)

till 14:45. In rare cases, the hot icon will disappear and if you turn off your icebox it will come right back in a few seconds.

21:45 around that time they will ALWAYS need a fire, Grill, works best, (Cold icon appears),

all night is ok and you only need one per animal I think but, I only have time to raise 1 baby at a time.

I have not worked out that evening time because I go hunting for bone marrow at that time (elephants), and make salted meat for the carnivore troth, I fill it full of the "none prime" meat it's cheap! Salted anything lasts longer and ALL carnivores will eat it just fine.

Tons of salt TONS!, to make it but once full it''ll last days. But now because of baby I will get it full for when the baby can feed off the troth. Because I will need real-life sleep.

The time when you have 3 food rows it's a little less work to maintain the baby but you should keep about 200 minimum in the baby if you have attention issues keep it full but do check it from time to time just make sure till baby is juvenile you are bound to this for 

NOTE: If you do not address the hot with an icebox the baby will die and the same if you do not address the cold with some sort of fire.  I NEVER had to force feed it! Salted meat lasts 4 hours and unsalted meat lasts 40 minutes. Also, note once the times are up for hot and cold you can call the baby over to the other device. I also like to plan the breeding time for an even clock time like 06:00 or 05:00 so is easier to know what times in real life things need to happen. At first birth tip, you only need to keep it full of bone marrow and once full just keep stacks or five on you and try to add more to determine what inventory count the baby is up to. Plan the first 3 hours managing the food and temps, then when things get easier do things that take a little longer but don't go fare. Mostly I think you can manage the feeding and figure that out (don't run out of food) but the times is gets cold and hot are cracked. It's 6 hours to get it to the troth or juvenile state! 6 HOURS! of fun, yeah it is learning the science of the game is fun as a single player.

The Imprinting is 6 times at 8 hour wait times in between, sleep set alarm to take it for a walk touch it, whatever it wants. then repeat ever 8 hours to get all the imprinting. 

Imprinting is useful for you as the rider and nobody else the stats nearly double when you ride the (ARK like I guess).

Someone should add some of this to the Wiki I don't have time I am playing Atlas!

I have quite a bit of experience on Breeding Tigers,  that's all I do in fact.

Gestation is 5 hours.

Then 6 hours to get the Cub to 10% and able to use the feeding trough.

First Imprint will be 2 hours after this, then 8 hours for each following imprint, 7 in total including the first.

Grills seem to be best for providing heat and you will need 720 wood per Grill for the fill 0-10% phase.  I usually put in 750.

For the 0-10% phase, you will also need about 750 meat per cub.

After this, like others have said, just keep the Feed though full.

Depending on where you do your Breeding, you will need a number of Grills to keep the cubs warm for the 0-10% phase , and if in the Tropics, or certain other sectors, Friges because the will overheat if too warm.

I have been breeding in O4 and only need 6 Grills, but when I was in O2, I needed upwards of 20.

Tigers.jpg

Edited by Ktorr
Additional info
  • Like 1

Jesus christ dude, that is immensely helpful. I think I will have to wait until the server wipe now though!

I've been messing around with Elephants lately. Breeding in Equatorial so you get the weather swings.

I don't use grills or fires anymore I came up with a system using Torches.

I place a 3x3 set of wood guns mounts in a close bundle. If you place a wall hook on them they turn into a spike which you can place torches into. You then set the pin codes all the same and pin code them to a electric lever switch.

Then go around the outside and place another 12 torches and pin code them to a different number. Code them to a second switch.

When its day I turn everything off and the temperature is ideal. When it gets colder in the afternoons into the evening I turn on switch 1, the 3x3 set. When it hits night time and the temp plummets I turn on switch two. Reverse as we come out of night into day. This keeps my elephants happy 100% of the time.

Also tested it and works with parrot eggs.

I build over the top of the setup and the heat transfers through the floor so its clean and tidy.Screenshot_19.thumb.jpg.dc13e73c9af83be31814e0f08e8ac345.jpg 

This is what it looks like under the floor.

Screenshot_21.jpg

• Like 2

Ghost, you can also use wall hooks on the bottom of the ceiling tiles as well 🙂

Nice. I'm glad I asked this question cos I have run into so many trolls whilst playing this (crews building large walls under our brig on their islands cos they want our bears and gold) and you guys have shown me that there really is a very friendly and helpful community out there. Bring on the wipe I really cannot wait to try out some of this advice. Again thank you all so much. If you play on pve look out for ardentis shadow. That would be me. 

Hehe hope to run i to ya on wipe. Hoping we can get our company back together, honestly this game is a ton of fun in a full company, always something happening.

Youll know me when ya see me 😛

We only run a small company so we do struggle a little at times but that's half the fun I suppose. I think we might struggle a little more after wipe seeing as our amourer has defected to a modded pvp server so no cannon for us for a while! Will be nice to run into a friendly face

Heres one for you all, are crabs breedable? We are having a mess about on a private hosted game and are seeing what is possible with all the spawn commands etc and was just curious if I spawn two crabs in will I be able to breed them for a bit of a laugh? Cheers guys

Ahh OK. Thank you. Something to maybe be added at a later date hopefully? 

Admittedly the connotations of 'baby crabs' leave a lot to be desired!

Edited by MunchATG