Sign in to follow this  
Jackal420

How do I stop my cannons from firing?

I have a second row of cannons not in cannon ports. If I leave ammo in the ammo box, they fire non stop and go through 200 cannon balls in 1 minute killing everything in site.

Here are my cannons:

1.png

How do I stop them from firing on their own? I'm really tired of kill sea bass by the scores.

Thanks!

Have not used cannons in a while. Don't you have a menu on screen when you sit on the wheel. ... with a hold fire option. Also, don't you have a radial menu on them to select what and what not to fire at?

Before I cross any zone anymore, I always open all my gunports and place my crews on autofire. Cause I can't see whats waiting on the other side, but it always seems to see me just fine and while my slow server connection takes forever to synch up and give me access again I generally find a mess of SODS tearing my ship apart. Since I started doing this though, I have found on several occasions that my Galleon has already killed the SOD by the time I am back in control, which is nice. But, to answer your question, if I forget to take them off autofire and I drop anchor, they will immediately fire and reload continuously. So I have to give them the stop fire command, i.e. default "C'" key while you are on the steering wheel and the all the firing groups are selected. So to prevent me from forgetting that they are on autofire, I make it a habit that everytime I close the gunports, I press the "C" key as well.

I also like to open gunports and put on auto fire whenever I go into a fog bank, cause the fog only affects you, doesn't seem to affect SODs from spotting you.

Another thing to note, if you select a target for the crew to fire at, they will fire at it til it is destroyed, then they will automatically return to 'Stop Fire' unless you select another target.

Also, another thing that you may or may not be doing, but you have to make sure that each cannon is in a grouping, sometimes they default to left, right, front and back, but not always, you have to go to each cannon and make sure they are in whatever group you want them in, and then while on the helm, make sure that the groups are selected at the bottom of screen, should be a purple hue which means that group is active and any command will affect them. Hope this helps...