Sign in to follow this  
MaximilianMartin

Galleon Sails Preference

I've looked through the forum and haven't found anything specfically about this. 

What is your preference on Galleons and Brigs for their sails? What is your specific combo and why? 

On my battle brig, I use three large handling sails for maneuverability and long sails against the wind. I'm going to be building another Galleon soon and want to know what your opinion is.  

1 handling then all speed

i always like 1 handling because it goes from no sail to full sail super fast so you instantly start moving. helps a lot with "parking".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Schooner pvp/sotd killer = all handling, if only back cannons use small speed.

Schooner pve = all speed

Brigantine pvp/sotd killer = 3x large handling

Brigantine hauler = 3x large speed or 1 hand 2x speed

Galleon pvp\sotd killer = 6 large handling

Galleon hauler = 3 handling 3 large speed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still don't understand how people DO Sotd fight with Galleon : ) With lack of maneuverability it's just a torture to do seas battles, and you'll probably get loot from just last SotD you've down because while straight sailing before turn - you will loose all flotsam spots for ever : )

Brigs are the best : ) My one is like that (took lvl 56 Damned Galley with it)

eEyW5Un.jpg

Edited by George Catcher
  • Like 1

I felt the same way about the Brig until I put all handling on it. Might try the Galleon with all Handling to see if it's better for PVP. Haulers will definitely have all speed and 1 handling. 

Love the paint job George, that took some work. What kind of sails are those? Are those skins for the sails? Still relatively new to the game. 

• Like 1

I have been messing with the brig today and I like 1 handling and 2 speed for SOTD farming. A brig with all handling (common) is just to slow at 1/3 weight. Boat speed is a pet peeve of mine and these brigs struggling to pull 14 knots is just mind numbing. I also carry extra sails for the trip home and ditch the handling sail and gtfo. Farming with three speed is just a waste of time. 

• Like 2

Acemac. My brig is max lvl. lvl 52. and have put 284% resistance and 192% damage. and 6 crew for back cannons. i im at 1/3 weight with 500 cannonballs.dif 15 knot yesterday. but my point is that u have so much more controll with 3 large handling, and a battle brig isint supposed to go long distances. 

its fully mythical also, with 119% accelartion and 128%wind so i can go max speed at any direction almost

nice looking brig george btw. i went with gold,blue and black theme on mine. and a gold black tiger theme on sails

• Like 1

Love the paint job George, that took some work. What kind of sails are those? Are those skins for the sails? Still relatively new to the game. 

nice looking brig george btw. i went with gold,blue and black theme on mine. and a gold black tiger theme on sails

Here are Forest Green, Black and Gold : )

As for sails - there are 2 speed sails with cosmetic applied on them and at the back - usual handling sail.

For my design - because I love all those sailing romance I do all things as they should be. No shotguns, kiting tactics etc. Just regular boardside sail-by battle. So I came to this design.

- 10 cannons each side.

- 4 cannons extra can be placed either in front, in back or like 2-2 front-back. But with parallel trajectory of volley (which devs should change btw) it's better to make all extras together.

- I keep middle of my vessel as empty as possible, because most of SotD's cannonballs lands there.

- Chess-like ceiling painting - really important to do fast maintenance during the fight. All top deck ceilings painted like that.

- I have like 10 points in sturdiness, and all in captaining skill tree, because in serious battle I always get few of my planks gone. With all skills I sometimes like: "Yeah I have 2 leaks. I better finish my battle then go for maintenance" : ))

- I Also keep 7 gunports, 5 planks, x-tra steering wheel and large speedsail in my supply chest. Because I twice was on my way back to base. Satisfied high but with just two sails : ))

• Like 1

ok nice:) whats ur other stats

As far as I remember, I keep 10 point in sturdiness (because of it longer sinking time).

10 points in damage.

Rests to defense.

But I still not sure of how many we should put in to defense and attack.

I don't do any x-tra beds (because I use only one side of my ship for battle and have 13 crew + myself on ship. And If I remember it right - default Brig have 16 crew capacity)

I don't do any weight, because I don't use this ship for world exploration, resource gathering, far half-atlas traveling etc. That's why I actually keep couple of vessels anchored near my base. One for SotD hunting, another one for whales and far travels etc.

When I was on my lvl-50 galley hunt, I also had 138% damage cannonsjourneyman sails and common planks for 6200+ hp. installed.

Over the time i've been playing I have now stuck to all speed and one handling, the only annoying thing is the handling sails look terrible as they are too tall and take the realism away from my ships. And I never put 5 sails on my galleon cos it just looks plain stupid and not realistic at all, but for that I take a massive hit to speed and performance. I used to just do speed sails but have learnt through bitter experience with the SOTD to always have one handling sail now, especially as the wind can stop and you end up dead in the water.

george  i suggest u make a brig with 100% damage and 300% resistance. and  try to find 150-200% cannons. and make 130-150% planks. but stat wise 100% damage is a major boost. u save alot of cannon balls and alot of planks ;) skip  points in sturdy,beds,weight

Whitehawk. for sotd killing 6 handlingsails are king. u can sail into a fleet take down the sails super fast and destroy them then loot and move on

but george i would suggest putting 4 backcannons so high u van do it. make 3 pillars wide and 5 pillar high, put 3 ceilnings and 4 cannons. when u broadside u shoot 6 cannonballs and when u turn u instantly hit with 4 more. 

george  i suggest u make a brig with 100% damage and 300% resistance. and  try to find 150-200% cannons. and make 130-150% planks. but stat wise 100% damage is a major boost. u save alot of cannon balls and alot of planks 😉 skip  points in sturdy,beds,weight

I guess I'll try this one next time I join the game. And btw I once got mythic cannon bp with just 100% damage lol : )

but george i would suggest putting 4 backcannons so high u van do it. make 3 pillars wide and 5 pillar high, put 3 ceilnings and 4 cannons. when u broadside u shoot 6 cannonballs and when u turn u instantly hit with 4 more. 

I shoot 10 at once, and with Overdrive it 2 shoots in a row and then Rally do the work : )

kwN3xE0.jpg

But I think that (what's in the picture above) should be changed, totally! Because non of those ships were able to do totally 100% synchronized and parallel shot. So instead of this:

wy50m1q.jpg

They should do this:

H1UKGxO.jpg

So when I hit fire - my vessel do volley within... lets say 3 second and all my cannonballs lands in wide area. And then my captaining skills comes in to decrease area of attack range and lower volley time.