apothecary

An idea for recurring revenue and fixing some concerns in PVP/PVE

I have another idea that could potentially solve a couple issues.

First I know server costs are a thing and without recurring revenue we as a player base could end up losing our game due to it just not being financially viable to continue. Second we already know there are issues PVP and PVE players complain about - namely offline raiding and such. Lots of ideas have been tossed around and here is one more:

You already have a segregated server model so it seems it would be technically manageable to implement something like this:

Let us buy a private server grid that we can attach to the existing official server grid. Make the island on it a generic, small, possibly with slow respawn generic resources and only accessible by people in our company. We can designate one spot on the map that it attaches to (you could make them have to attach to Freeport zones for example). You would need a way to manage how you would "zone" to your private server but there are probably several different ways to do that. You could make different size servers that can handle different numbers of simultaneous players for different prices ($9.99 for 2 player, 14.99 for 5 player, 24.99 for 25 players, etc.)

People would still claim.

People would still leave ships on claimed islands.

New players have a more manageable "haven" if they want to pay for it.

You make recurring revenue.

Tames can be stored there rather than at Freeport.

No fast decay of ships anchored.

No offline raiding of your main bank of BPs.

PVE server has an alternative to claiming (which I hear is almost impossible anyway).

I would hate to see the game go so I just wanted to share another idea.

Take care!

23 minutes ago, Reiver Demon said:

if you had admin rights you could spawn in anything you wanted gaining an unfair advantage

I don't actually mean a server you control. I mean a private instance you can access online through game play. It would be subject to the same rules as any other official server on the grid.

On 4/23/2020 at 5:51 AM, apothecary said:

server costs are a thing

Saddly they can't do anything about it, they don't charge any price for hosting (maybe on Nitrado ?).
But if you have your own server, you don't pay anything to host.
They can't reduce a price they don't charge 😄 

On 4/23/2020 at 9:00 AM, Reiver Demon said:

if you had admin rights you could spawn in anything you wanted gaining an unfair advantage

You mean.. just like it actually happened on the live Servers? 😛

Honestly if you were able to rent a server and attach it to the existing 15x15, regardless of gather rates, generic resource etc. - You're entering pay to win territory and they won't go near that.

The best shot Grapeshot has for continued revenue is DLC just like Ark.

They won't enter micro-transaction territory thankfully, or they would have already done it like Ark. But to be honest, this is one game where I would actually pay a few bucks, nothing over $10, to buy a unique ship skin or something along those lines. Something purely cosmetic of course. I think a lot of the player base would hop on that as well to support the game. The issue with micro-transactions in it's current state is the price of digital goods. There are numerous companies that want you to pay $20 for one single skin on a gun or character, looking at you Apex Legends. That's just asinine. Something like a Galleon ship skin that you'd see constantly as you sail through Atlas is much more worth the $9.99 I'd be willing to pay.