Sign in to follow this  
Stabby

What am I doing wrong?

Tier 3 taming and mostly maxed out taming tree. Bolas. Wheat. Taming pen. I don't understand why I can't tame elephants. I get the prompt to feed it wheat, but nothing happens. Is it somehow glitched inside of my taming pen or something? Has anyone tried taming elephants since last patch?

https://imgur.com/a/msFIZs5

https://imgur.com/a/WXTF4Dc

Edited by Stabby
  • Like 1

Hello,

not tried since last patch but elephant are not a easy tame, sometimes very annoying...

- Do you use harvest wheat or wild wheat? if my memory is good, wild doesn't work (And you must place item on your last slot).

- Sometimes, feeding is written but doesn't work. Try from another place (right side / left side / front).

you can also try to move towards him, then back away very quickly so as not to be hit when he hit, then run down on his head to feed him before he hit again. You will take a hit, but depending on the placement of the beast sometimes it is the only solution (best location obstructed) => bed beside, plate armor, medikit^^

If you can feed him once, then it's a placement problem.

Last time i tamed an elephant, I was close to ragequit^^

Don't remember which side works best but i did it somewhere behind his ear close to his front legs.

And another thing (beginner's tip), max sneaking ability (T3) and approach crouching.

Good luck !

Ok, so, this is a taming pen problem. Another bug for the dev team to not address.

@Nordist I'm a returning player. Before I left I had a 56 w/ most power stones and about 6 elephants. After my return I had zero characters with zero power stones and zero tames, ships, levels, points, gear, etc. I had to start from scratch again. But this time it's a million times harder. Less people playing on the "lawless" maps, which is indicative of the low population. I love that I can finally get some descent buildable land now. But I hate there's noone to play with. They messed up the land grab so bad at launch.

So to answer your questions, yes. I have tamed them before and remember their sweet spot. I grow my own wheat. This has something to do with the building blocks that we make taming pens out of. It's bugged. I even lost a corpse w/ all my taming stuff and gear in them (right after posting this last night).

Oh duh. I should add that I was able to tame using the billboard method (something new to me). Somehow the billboards eliminate what's causing tames not to eat from you. I still didn't tame an elephant tho. I need med kits unlocked. They woop my ass, even knowing the sweet spot. I did get one to around 55% last night tho (billboard method) (live servers).

Edited by Stabby
  • Thanks 1

I had the same problem with a bull. I had just tamed a giraffe in the same pen a day before, but maybe it's head stuck out so far that it was ok. /shrug

Use billboards for big tames. Taming pens for big animals is really, really hard. Your issue is a line-of-sight problem - the game thinks you're trying to feed the elephant by reaching through that side wall in the second picture, and won't allow it. The process is so buggy and glitchy that it makes taming pure bullshit sometimes.

I use a tank bear and ram the animal head-on so they sort of stick together just in case it wants to run instead of fight, beat it down and bola. I position my bear right at the animal head and wait between spam attacks to feed it (attack hits bear, dismount, feed animal, mount bear before next hit). When it stands up, ram bear into the front again. No pens needed. It's rough but works for me.

• Like 1

What Xantria said plus the behind the head spot doesn't work anymore either. You have to be on belly side, near the knee and looking in between the tusks. It's a very very small sweet spot and I get hit a lot. Sometimes the feeding interrupts the hit. 

All of the above in its glitchy glory plus use a shield while feeding. You can feed through the shield and it will block any attacks that get triggered from bad positioning.

• Like 1

There is some issue with the elephants I get beat to death and give up an hour into 70% or so. I do it like I used to on the ground with a bear to bolo. It is crazy I used to tame for friends but now is completely sucks balls. FIX IT!

Is it possible that they made it switch between items fed? Like Chickpeas' and then wheat?

No. They still tame with wheat. As stated above it's a broken system. Years of Ark and now the experience we have in Atlas is useless. Billboards seem to be the most legit way to tame at the moment. I read in some other spots that this is an old problem. They've tried to fix it according to previous patch notes. It's such a major component of this game that they really need to stop everything and figure it out. Not many things are more important in regards to Atlas gameplay.