Draugr

[HELP] Freeport Spawn Islands Not Working

So... I've been wrestling with my 2x2 grid server for the last few days. One by one all the issues appear to have been resolved except this last one. I'm hoping someone might have some info for me.

So, the issue is that I have at least 1 Freeport island in each of the 4 grids on my server. I have all 4 grids set as a Home Server so that upon joining the player can choose any of the four grids to start in. The problem is that I setup through the grid editor a single Freeport island per grid and then edited the Spawn Region for each grid. I researched and followed the information I found online on how to do this. Unfortunately, it isn't working. While a player can join any of the 4 grids, you get spawned on an island that is NOT the Freeport island that I setup in the grid editor. Has anyone else had this issue and does anyone know what may be wrong?

I'll include the options I followed below to show what I've done and perhaps that might give someone an idea of what is wrong or what I did wrong to get the Freeport island in each grid to be the only spawn point.

1. I set each grid to NOT use "AutoGenerateIslandSpawnRegions". This command would randomly drop a new player on a random island in the grid. This is disabled, so shouldn't be the issue.

2. In each grid I followed these steps to make a single Freeport island the spawn region.

• Control-Left Click on an Island to bring up the "Island Instance" tab. There you need to set the "spawnPointRegionOverride" to 1 or more for each spawn island you have on a grid. On my server I set the following: Grid 0,0 = 1, Grid 0,1 = 2, Grid 1,0 = 3, Grid 1,1 = 4. 
  • Next, I set the "Spawn Region" on each server grid by Control-Left Click on the water area of each grid. The Edit Server tab opens. I then click on the "Spawn Regions"  button which opens the Edit Spawn Regions tab. Within this tab I entered the Name of the Freeport Island and the Parent Cell which is 0,0 for grid 0,0 to 1,1 for grid 1,1. 
  • I then saved and exported the json file.

After doing this the spawn region on each grid should be set and working, except I'm still being spawned on an island that is NOT the Freeport island, it is a random island in the grid.

Does anyone have any advice or information on what might be wrong?

Thanks in advance.

John

I've lost the source URL, but I vaguely remember reading that you set  spawnPointRegionOverride to -1  to disable spawning on an island.
Use values 1 to 4 on spawnable islands within a grid.

53 minutes ago, DeepSeaDuo said:

I've lost the source URL, but I vaguely remember reading that you set  spawnPointRegionOverride to -1  to disable spawning on an island.
Use values 1 to 4 on spawnable islands within a grid.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I tried setting all the other islands in the grid to -1 but it doesn't seem to help. One weird issue is that each time I save the json and then remove the server side json with the latest save, the default spawn island seems to change from the previous json. It seems like the server is still randomly picking a spawner location for each grid. I did try leaving one grid and going to another then I killed myself and set the first grid back as my home server which respawned me back at the first grid I visited. I spawned on the same island as when I first logged into that grid, so the specific island I want to spawn on is not working, but once the server launches and decides (randomly) which island in each grid is going to be the spawn island, that island remains the spawn island.

2 hours ago, Draugr said:

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I tried setting all the other islands in the grid to -1 but it doesn't seem to help. One weird issue is that each time I save the json and then remove the server side json with the latest save, the default spawn island seems to change from the previous json. It seems like the server is still randomly picking a spawner location for each grid. I did try leaving one grid and going to another then I killed myself and set the first grid back as my home server which respawned me back at the first grid I visited. I spawned on the same island as when I first logged into that grid, so the specific island I want to spawn on is not working, but once the server launches and decides (randomly) which island in each grid is going to be the spawn island, that island remains the spawn island.

Can you post all four of your command lines please - but remove any passwords you've set.  If I can, I'll launch a copy to see what happens.

2 minutes ago, DeepSeaDuo said:

Can you post all four of your command lines please - but remove any passwords you've set.  If I can, I'll launch a copy to see what happens.

I use ASC to launch so there is no command lines, but I'll attach my json and server.only.json. See attached.

Ok, I cant attach my json because it is 256kb and the max upload is 160kb. 😞 Should I cut and paste it in a post directly? It is a rather large json due to 4 grids and lots of islands per grid. I did attach my server.only.json but I'm not sure if it is really needed.

ServerGrid.ServerOnly.json

I was concerned about the command line you posted earlier, because of the contradiction it showed...
It included "ServerX=1?ServerY=0?AltSaveDirectoryName=00"

Normally, the directory name would echo the X,Y coordinate in some way, but it doesn't here.  This made me think that maybe there was a mistake in the setup, perhaps the 4 grids are sharing a common save directory?  The Atlas server always uses "ocean.atlas" as the filename regardless of the grid coords, so you could have a problem.

Do you have any active players on the map?  If not, it might be worth wiping all the saves, and wiping the database to see if starting over will fix the issues you're having.

24 minutes ago, DeepSeaDuo said:

I was concerned about the command line you posted earlier, because of the contradiction it showed...
It included "ServerX=1?ServerY=0?AltSaveDirectoryName=00"

Normally, the directory name would echo the X,Y coordinate in some way, but it doesn't here.  This made me think that maybe there was a mistake in the setup, perhaps the 4 grids are sharing a common save directory?  The Atlas server always uses "ocean.atlas" as the filename regardless of the grid coords, so you could have a problem.

Do you have any active players on the map?  If not, it might be worth wiping all the saves, and wiping the database to see if starting over will fix the issues you're having.

I've tried those suggestions a few times. Both wiping the entire save folder contents and wiping the database in the redis folder. My Save sub folder has four separate save folders within. A1, A2, B1, and B2, so I believe the servers are being saved separately. I just cant figure out why this issue is happening when it appears I have everything in order. The answer is either I missed something basic or the system is bugging out somehow. I'm staying positive though as I started with many issues a few days back when I first started setting up my server. Eventually I was able to resolve issue after issue with help via research and from community members such as you (thanks a bunch 🙂 ). I'm sure this will get fixed eventually.

Oh. Do you think it would be ok to paste my json contents in a code field here in the thread? The file is too big to attach normally.

Here's a suggestion I found:

https://www.playatlas.com/index.php?/forums/topic/67665-bautogenerateislandspawnregions/&do=findComment&comment=338916
freeports should be 0, non-freeports should be 4+

"spawnPointRegionOverride":

however, if when spawning, it gives a list like [island ###] then you also need to be able to add bAutoGenerateIslandSpawnRegions=false to your gameusersettings.ini

Good luck!

• Like 1

Phoenix125.

Thanks a bunch for that info. I tried it and it works! My server is now up and running with no known issues. I just finished playing for the last hour or two. Lots of fun. 🙂