Sign in to follow this  
Ranger1k

NPCs on ballista not listening. Wasting ammo. Wont shoot whaes.

Built a whaler. Placed NPCS on ballistas.

NPCs keep shooting fish and wildlife, only way to stop it is to remove ammo or unseat them. Fiddled with settings on ship, ballistas and NPCS, performed a reboot all zero effect.

Furthermore kited a whale for 15 mintes and couldn't them to fire a single shot. Very, very annoying. 300 Bolts wasted.

Only thing i haven't tried is purchasing fresh npcs, these came from spares in my fleet.

Any suggestions?

Anyone else experiencing this?

As mentioned i did that

Could you please spend 30 seconds providing specic details instead of a generic slight

Edited by Ranger1k

When on the steering wheel, there are quick controls in the top right corner of the screen that should show a key combo to stop NPCs from automatically firing the balistas. Then you can specifically target a whale once in distance and they will only target that. The highlight looks similar to what you see what you whistle attack target, it's essentially the same thing. 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by MaximilianMartin

Thank you for specifics.

Tried that during original troubleshooting no effect.

They just continued freefiring

Tried setting NPCs to passive, neutral, aatack my target etc also.

Hit stop firing 100 times.

Unseated reseated 1 at a time on diff ballistas even...

Always same effect... Poinless bolt firing

Hello,

When you are at the wheel, you have skill bar at the bottom of the screen. These are "groups" assigned to the ship. the 4 on the left are called front / rear / left / right.

If your ballistas are at the back of the ship, you should have a number written inside rear (4 if 4 ballistas for example).

What MaximilianMartin told you is correct, but you should also know that you can activate or deactivate orders to different groups.

to activate groups, the slot must be purple, if it's no purple, this groupe will not listen orders.

If ballistas are not assigned to any group, you must give them one and activate orders. As a last resort, you can also assign PNJs to a group, but do it if nothing else works.

Thank you for specifics.

Tried that during original troubleshooting no effect.

Every NPC is set to passive. Ship is commanded to hold fire. Restored ballistas to only shoot tamed creatures... Yet they just fire away until i pull the ammo...

Ridiculous i dont have all day for all these bugs and miniscule info...

Isthe game being intentionally wrecked?

4 hours ago, Nordist said:

Hello,

When you are at the wheel, you have skill bar at the bottom of the screen. These are "groups" assigned to the ship. the 4 on the left are called front / rear / left / right.

If your ballistas are at the back of the ship, you should have a number written inside rear (4 if 4 ballistas for example).

What MaximilianMartin told you is correct, but you should also know that you can activate or deactivate orders to different groups.

to activate groups, the slot must be purple, if it's no purple, this groupe will not listen orders.

If ballistas are not assigned to any group, you must give them one and activate orders. As a last resort, you can also assign PNJs to a group, but do it if nothing else works.

Just caught that part. Ill try that ty.

Define PNJ if convenient please.

Also 8 grids zero whales... Zigzgging even

Ty for your help

Omg that was super helpful ty.

Is there a commands list somewhere because i also managed somehow to put them all on maintenance duty lol..

Either way spot on direction i needed pointed in

Ty

2 hours ago, Ranger1k said:

Is there a commands list somewhere because i also managed somehow to put them all on maintenance duty lol..

Sorry, i'm not very good in english and i use google translating to be sure, I'm not sure to understand this sentence.

If you're talking about assigning a NPC (PNJ = french word to NPC) to ship's repairing, this is done automatically, you just need to have an NPC not assigned to a task (it starts sweeping the floor).

Ship must be anchored, automatic repair only repairs ship's basic (plank, deck and i think sail), you must repair other parts by yourself.

Super helpful, again ty.

I under stand repair process.. Pretty much got the ballista group acting correctly. It was just funny because somehow during the process of learning control groups all 8 npcs stepped off the ballistas simultaneously and began sweeping. Got it fixed but I'm still not sure how i commanded it. Would be a useful command

Your awesome, thanks again