sorensen8or

Where have the whales gone?

What's with the nerf of whale spawns? No reason I spend soo many hours sailing and dont find a single one. I remember not too long ago when I was able to go and find a whale in any 14 or 15 region.. i literally sail for 3 hours and found 1 blue whale?

Probably just RNG. I've encountered a few mean whales and several passive ones in the last few days just by accident

A lot of them only really spawned after server restarts... No more patches, no more restarts.. less whales

The best way to scare up whales is to go sailing in a ship without balistas, always find them everywhere when I can't attack them. But when I go hunting in my whaling ship, they are hard to find. I think the whales are warning each other to stay away from certain ships. Although I was chased by a whale once while in my whaling ship, but I think the whale knew I didn't have any crew on board at the time, so chased me halfway across the map. The reason I had no crew was to free up space to salvage my wrecked ship that had recently sunk with crew. Once the salvage job was done, I filled up all the ballistas with crew and went back to where I saw the sperm whale, boy, the whale was so surprised when I filled him with ballistas.

I met my first one last night. Hit me and I left my ship behind. Managed to swim to my ship and it hit me again. Ship was a gone. I liked that ship, my first ship, so for when I get battered again, how do I kill it? 

wakefull you make a schooner with handling sails and puut 3-4 ballistas on back of the boat. put npcn on them also. then go to tundra and searxh for whales. when you ser one you take your carbine out and shoot it once to get the aggro then turn ur back against the whale and slowly start kiting it when it comes close.

If you want to see whales, just go through the polar regions without ballistas on your boat, you will see plenty. This weekend while going from K13 to H2 in as much of a direct line as possible. I saw 2 blue whales close to each other in K14, had to maneuver to go around them cause they were flopping around and in my way. In J15, started to get chased by a sperm whale about midway across the map, my brig was loaded heavy, but was able to stay ahead of him, but then noticed another sperm whale angling towards me from the front, so by the time I was able to get him also behind me, I had 2 of them chasing me. Fortunately at that time, I had a decent wind. 1 of the whales dropped off the chase, but the other kept at it, just for giggles, I fired a few cannon barrages at it, but didn't do much damage, I only had about 200 cannon balls left and don't think it would of been enough to take him out. Anyway, I crossed the zone, but the dang whale followed me into the new zone. He also finally gave up, but no sooner did he pull off then another one spawned and gave chase. Was closed to the next zone and crossed over, but the wind died down and I was making 4 to 5 knots. So in H1 the 4th whale began to chase me, and there was no way I was gonna outrun this one, he was way to close and I had no wind. I started to tack toward a nearby island, but I do believe that if the whale just kept coming toward me, he would have caught me and there would of been nothing I could do about it. But fortunately, he turned and did a big circle which caused him to lose ground against me. When I finally got close to land, he pulled off.

So in the span of 4 zones saw 2 blues and got chased by 4 Sperm whales. They seem to populate more on the weekend, cause during the week I sometimes go whale hunting and don't see any. Guess its designed that more players playing in the weekend the spawn rate is higher, but once they get killed off, takes a week before the next spawn.