Sign in to follow this  
dewo

How To Save Atlas

I hear the creative director abandoned ship? Hire me ill work for cheap.  Ive modded ark, ive got over 1k hours on both atlas and ark, im a top tier pvper,  I was in order of freedom back when they were good.  Here are just some quick ideas that wouldnt even require much work to implement.

srsly not a joke i loved this game i hope it doesnt die.

Reduce Overall Atlas Grid to 9x11
Remove 6 Latitude tiles (Essentially making all biomes 1 tile tall like equatorials)
Remove 4 Longitude tiles (A,B,N and O in order to reduce the number of continuous tiles from 10 to 6)
Condense NA and EU servers and open new servers later on if current ones become crowded

Reduce company size to 20
Reduce alliance size to 3
Reduce tile cap to 65 (Allow some overflow space and kick the the latest person who joined the tile after 10 minutes until server cap is reached)

Inverse lawless and claim tiles (Make claim tiles closer to freeports and have lawless tiles on the outskirts)
Increase claim tile upkeep by 200%

Reduce amount of gems mined to 1-3 per node
Make gems drop from treasure chests and sunken treasure
Randomize(or just stagger) gem node respawn timer
Shoveling on the beach should alawys yield 1-5 salt
Remove resource conversion and allow outright buying of resources with gold, gems, and/or mythos

Reduce max level to 80
Increase base health to 160
Increase base stamina to 115
Increase base weight to 400
Increase base fort to 10
Make basic crafting engrams unlocked by default

Make ship planks not destroyable by damage
Increase flood rate from damaged planks by 200%
Increase base speed of sloop+med speed sail to match the brig+3 large speed sail
Incrase base crew of sloop to 6

Force friendly fire on swivel guns (Allows the swivel to retain its power, but forces you to think about using it so you cant spam them on your boat and put npcs on them without considering FF or spam a bunch of forward facing horse carts)
Make lions unrideable (seriously...)

Remove melee animations (Ark melee did nothing wrong! Fighting people with spears in early SOTF was fun!)
Add very very very slight amount of inaccuracy to the carbine (So that its not a literal laser beam)

I think this would make the game more oriented around sailing and fighting for treasure rather than sitting around your base hitting rocks all day.

Ive even got ways to inoffensively monetize the game.  hmu!

Edited by dewo

Whut. Alliance or crew caps are not going to do anything. Bringing claimed grids closer to freeports? Great way to unbalance PVP even more. Not sure why you want to reduce sailing in a sailing game. The increase cost for islands is not something that’s going to happen because then all small companies are going to be bitching again. It only hurts them. Why would you want to have gems gotten by treasures? As if they’re rare. Increase base health to 160? What the fuck do you want to happen? It’s unbalanced right now. So you want to go from 120 to level 80 but give 30 levels to HP for free? What the hell.  Ship planks not destroyable by damage? What is that even suppose to mean. So it can only be damaged by ramming reefs? And finally, the carbines are bugged as hell, not sure why you want to decrease the accuracy of them even more. 

All these changes could only lead to two things: Completely PVP unbalance and a greater gap between large and small companies. Good job. 

Wtf are you talking about crew caps dont work.  Making it logistically more difficult to coordinate massive amounts of people is the goal and it will have the desired effect.  Moving claim tiles close to freeports wont have any effect on PVP balance it will just allow people to assault them more easily since they wont have to sail a bunch of tiles to reach the island theyre attacking.  Moving gems to chests would allow people without claims over island with gems to participate in raiding without have to sail 30+ minutes just to left click a rock and then sail another 30+ real life mins to bring those virtual rocks to your virtual base, it would also make treasure chests actually useful(which could be fun in a pirate game duh). 

I dont see why youre so confused about why front loading stats would be a massive improvement to the game... maybe youre just dumb.  Making planks not destroyable by damage would remove planking exploits and remove the need to carry a dozen+ spare planks at all times just to be able to engage in ship combat, leaking planks still take in water and cause the ship to sink.  Carbines are not "bugged as hell" hit boxes and hit registration are bugged because wildcard doesnt know how to code a game properly but the carbine itself is a fucking laserbeam and its stupid.

I absolutely want to "reduce sailing in a sailing game" having to sit half idle on a boat for 30 minutes before doing anything in this game is tedious as fuck and the main reason why people quit.  If you defend the gameplay loop of "waste 30 minutes to slap together an expendable ship, then sit another 30 minutes bored to travel to the place you want to go to do the thing you wanted to do" youre a moron.

I fail to see how this would disadvantage smaller tribes since the main way ive played this game is spawning on an island fresh with 1 or 2 friends, rush cannons, raid basses and snowball, then drop everything we take in a vault.  All of these changes would help with that fun playstyle.

Edited by dewo

10 hours ago, dewo said:

Wtf are you talking about crew caps dont work.  Making it logistically more difficult to coordinate massive amounts of people is the goal and it will have the desired effect.  Moving claim tiles close to freeports wont have any effect on PVP balance it will just allow people to assault them more easily since they wont have to sail a bunch of tiles to reach the island theyre attacking.  Moving gems to chests would allow people without claims over island with gems to participate in raiding without have to sail 30+ minutes just to left click a rock and then sail another 30+ real life mins to bring those virtual rocks to your virtual base, it would also make treasure chests actually useful(which could be fun in a pirate game duh). 

I dont see why youre so confused about why front loading stats would be a massive improvement to the game... maybe youre just dumb.  Making planks not destroyable by damage would remove planking exploits and remove the need to carry a dozen+ spare planks at all times just to be able to engage in ship combat, leaking planks still take in water and cause the ship to sink.  Carbines are not "bugged as hell" hit boxes and hit registration are bugged because wildcard doesnt know how to code a game properly but the carbine itself is a fucking laserbeam and its stupid.

I absolutely want to "reduce sailing in a sailing game" having to sit half idle on a boat for 30 minutes before doing anything in this game is tedious as fuck and the main reason why people quit.  If you defend the gameplay loop of "waste 30 minutes to slap together an expendable ship, then sit another 30 minutes bored to travel to the place you want to go to do the thing you wanted to do" youre a moron.

I fail to see how this would disadvantage smaller tribes since the main way ive played this game is spawning on an island fresh with 1 or 2 friends, rush cannons, raid basses and snowball, then drop everything we take in a vault.  All of these changes would help with that fun playstyle.

You might be new in the gaming industry, but all large companies or large groups of players in any game will find whatever they can to fit them the best. Most, if not all, large companies can coordinate everything so any cap on any crew or alliance won’t do 1 thing. You only have to look out for friendly fire, woohoo. 

They have placed freeports away from claimed islands for a reason, so people can’t do harbor raids/large assaults and when it gets tough go into the safe haven called a freeport. Now you can chase them down a bit before they’re untouchable. 

And again, you’re missing the whole point about this game. They want to increase time spent at sea. For some reason I get the feeling that you don’t want to get off your island at all. Nobody is bitching about resources being ‘too hard’ or ‘too far’ to get. And we never bothered with it. I could sail through 15-20 grids on a normal Atlas day. Not sure why you would say treasure chests are not useful, since most of the coins gathered is through treasure chests, but okay. As for the ‘hit 1 rock and then go back’ - well you gotta be stupid if that’s all you’re gonna do on a trip that takes longer than 30 mins. 

The whole player cap to level 80 and then increasing base health to 160 is just stupidity at its finest, we’ve gone through that. 

Having to carry a dozen planks/gunports is something which, again, nobody ever bitched about because it’s a mechanic that just works. Sure it takes forever to kill a 300+% planks ship but that’s why they farmed for hours on end. Why you’d want to change that is beyond me. Doesn’t help with anything only makes the ships even more indestructible than they already are. 

Heyy, here we are again. Bitching about sailing too much. I, again, don’t get your fucking problem with this game. Just quit it if you don’t like sailing. I don’t even care about the sailing, we’ve done BP resource runs last few weeks carrying a shit ton of resources, having to sail a few hours and I didn’t even care. Just put on a series or talk with your friends and you’ll get there. 30 mins is dogshit in this game. You might have to ask your company if you can become the island dude that just stays on the island - maybe that will help. 

Man man man, headache. 

Lmao just tried last oasis that game is dope fuck this game hope it dies