Sign in to follow this  
halebop12

Freeport needs reworked

I had a couple of ideas for fixing freeport. Currently, lots of people complain about boats being stored in freeports, tames being stored, the raft city, etc. This seems to be a universal gripe of the community looking at any form of social media related to the game (including official discord). The following are my ideas for a freeport redesign.

1)  There is a maximum company BOAT limit of 2 in a freeport tile. This would allow people to still go to freeport to hire NPCs, or make sloops/rafts for beginning, or simply parking their boat overnight if they find themselves far from home after a powerstone journey. This would prevent companies from storing their entire fleet in a freeport indefinitely, and would limit the number of raft-farming-villages. Yes, they could just have 5 alt companies storing boats in all of them, but at least it's a slight more pain in the ass to do that.

2)  There is a maximum company TAME limit of 20. This lets people recruit 10 NPCs, and also allows for wiggle room should they want to store a few breeding pairs of animals or have a few cats for farming chitin. This would prevent companies from having 50 cats on the shores, and would prevent companies from storing tens of combat tames there for griefing nearby tiles.

3)And lastly, an overweight boat (even green anchored) has 3 minutes to lighten its load before it begins to auto-sink. It really, reallly should be possible for the coding to ignore non-company/non-ally players and tames and ignore their weight. (Just like enemies don't count towards crew limit.) This would eliminate the mass stockpiling of resources and materials on rafts that is being done all throughout freeports. If you wanted to take it a step farther, you could even disallow the placement of Large Wood Signposts (billboards) and crop plots. 
#MakeAtlasGreatAgain
Edited by halebop12
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't like the suggestions. If a company has boat limitation per freeport that would mess up a company like mine:

We are lazily connected persons, who have two rules. We keep up a settlement together, so we finance them. And everyone is captain of their own ship, so whenever i board any of my mates ship, im his subordinate. I cant really dictate where they can go or what they can do, we just finance a safe harbor together, where we can dropoff excess weight from our ship

I think ships should be gold trafficed for freeport region. They decay a bit faster than they do now if they dont have gold, and deplete gold instead of decay when they have gold. So you basicly "rent" the harbor for your stay. Even large companies cant keep many ships financed at freeport, they would go bankrupt. However one could finance a storage ship instead of claiming an island to bank stuff in freeport safely, but they have to make enough gold for that (its per ship and it matches how much one would play for island claims per day). For that however you need to be able to overload anchored ships, so that mechanic is needed.

Or...they have somewhere animals can be stored.  In Ark you can store them in Obelisks (or you could).  And as for resource storage...they should have somewhere to store resources at freeports too.  As well as somewhere to buy/sell them.  A commodity exchange/market instead of a commodity vendor.  

Freeports and offline storage will be reworked sometime during phase 3/4 of the roadmap. The devs allow people to store tames and boats there now as there are no other offline storage solutions.

1 hour ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

Freeports and offline storage will be reworked sometime during phase 3/4 of the roadmap. The devs allow people to store tames and boats there now as there are no other offline storage solutions.

Was that confirmed or were they merely "thinking about it"?

Freeports should have more NPC interactions such as taverns and stores for accessories. Also no decay time should be issued  but instead gold should be paid to anchor a ship and that way people can't hide in pvp at free port and attack and then just leave and repair and come back.  I wouldnt agree with the ship number per company if there is gold involve and I do agree about the overweight boats should auto sink. also hand to hand fight should be allow on the free port but it like iniating a trade. Free ports should be where you have multiple companies messing around and recruit. Also mini games such as cards and dice should be added to gamble in taverns with other companies for gold. Free ports should put NPC bounties on lawless islands and you have to return them to the free port for gold as well.