Muppetish

Too much negativity

Sometimes they do 🙄 and my experience so far is that those higher up rarely listen to the people doing the actual work. I'm not trying to suggest that the community shouldn't be unhappy or that we should stop highlighting the issues, just that maybe we could choose our words in a way that is constructive and not let our emotions get in the way, but I'm not here to tell anyone what to do.

• Like 1

That is true, but I'm not stopping, in hopes that the sheer quantity of negativity might have an impact.

They might also want to point out that it effects their other products, for me at least, having been an avid Ark player before Atlas, I'm not going to touch anything new they produce (Genesis) until I can trust them as a company.

• Like 1

That's fair, I probably should have started this differently 🤣 I'm not usually active on any form of social media. The negative response is understandable it's more the way that some members choose to express their feelings that I was hoping to address. Fingers crossed both the teams at Wildcard and Grapeshot will realise that they're on a dangerous path 🤞

• Like 1

On 3/2/2020 at 1:03 PM, Muppetish said:

I see a lot of negative comments from the community on here and I can't help thinking that a lot of you seem to be forgetting a few important details. The game is incomplete, we all know that, there is fair warning before purchase and every time we load up on the main menu. The other thing that seems to be forgotten is that devs who waste time responding to every little coment, from players who have forgotten that they knowingly choose to play pre-release, aren't working on the game. Personally I enjoy the game and am looking forward to seeing what Grapeshot have planned for full release. Be patient and if your not happy with the state of the game then just take a break until it's closer to actual launch.

your post count tells me you are new around here, hence i would suggest you to keep your mouth shut if you have no idea what you are talking about, many of the people who are complaining now once were hardcore defenders of the game but the current state of the game is due to the shady practices of its developers, just so you know they completely halted its development to focus on 2 other projects like the xbox release and the ARK new DLC release, hence after more than 1 year of early access we have 75% of the problems we had from day one, including bad decisions that didnt exist back when the game was released, so please dont be ignorant, if you dont know the reasons ask, dont just assume shit.

On 3/2/2020 at 2:31 PM, Muppetish said:

The october 2019 captains log did state that the team would be stepping away from the forum for a while (in a roundabout way) and game development requires money. Ark is probably their best source of money at the moment so working on that makes sense. I can understand players being frustrated but all the negativity doesn't help. Atlas won't attract new players if the existing players keep complaining about it, we need to be patient and understand that it is a work in progress.

so what? is not our fuking job to pretend nothing is wrong to attract new players

• Thanks 1

The D Legacy, I'm not sure if you've taken the time to read all the previous replies, so just incase you haven't: yes I am new here and there is a lot I don't know about the history of the games development or everything that long term players have been through. I'm not aware of any rules or restrictions stating that new players are not allowed to voice their opinions so I see no reason to keep my mouth shut. Isn't the general discussions section intended for discussions? Finally, if you have replied to a subject without taking the time to read the previous (as it would seem you have) then you yourself have no idea what you're talking about. But perhaps you were trying to help a new member to learn the way that forums work?

20 minutes ago, Muppetish said:

The D Legacy, I'm not sure if you've taken the time to read all the previous replies, so just incase you haven't: yes I am new here and there is a lot I don't know about the history of the games development or everything that long term players have been through. I'm not aware of any rules or restrictions stating that new players are not allowed to voice their opinions so I see no reason to keep my mouth shut. Isn't the general discussions section intended for discussions? Finally, if you have replied to a subject without taking the time to read the previous (as it would seem you have) then you yourself have no idea what you're talking about. But perhaps you were trying to help a new member to learn the way that forums work?

Ya, the way forums work is when someone is upset with the game (like they just had something really annoying happen in the game, or they rage quit over a serious bug), they come here immediately before they have a chance to cool down and post something that they will later regret when they are more level headed. Or they stop playing the game and come here and repeatedly post the worst stuff they can think of. Kind of a way to vent their frustrations 😀 Of course there are also those that have played many hours in the game and invested a lot of time in it and are very frustrated that it is not progressing like most Early Access games, with new features every month or two.

So of course there is a lot of negativity, that really is to be expected. I was one of those people early on that always said good things about the game. Now I think I say about 50/50 positive and negative stuff about it.

The developers are not evil or shady, they are just employees of a company and do what they are paid to do. Paying them costs money, so the company needs to create something that will bring in the money. That seems to be ARK Genesis at the moment. That is basically what you said. I think most people realize this, no matter what they might say here.

I think they will work on this game again, otherwise I probably wouldn't have been playing it for the last couple of months. I played it for a few months when it was first released, took a long break and came back recently. The difference in attitudes in general since over a year ago is obvious.

I think it is best not to focus on what other people are saying right now in my opinion. Mostly I just state my opinion once or twice in a thread and not engage those that have a much more negative view of the game. Most of them have their reasons for being so negative, and their experience of the game is much different than mine. The game is a sandbox after all and there are literally hundreds of different ways you can play it.

Edited by wildbill
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Ya, the way forums work is when someone is upset with the game (like they just had something really annoying happen in the game, or they rage quit over a serious bug), they come here immediately before they have a chance to cool down and post something that they will later regret when they are more level headed. Or they stop playing the game and come here and repeatedly post the worst stuff they can think of. Kind of a way to vent their frustrations 😀 Of course there are also those that have played many hours in the game and invested a lot of time in it and are very frustrated that it is not progressing like most Early Access games, with new features every month or two.

So of course there is a lot of negativity, that really is to be expected. I was one of those people early on that always said good things about the game. Now I think I say about 50/50 positive and negative stuff about it.

The developers are not evil or shady, they are just employees of a company and do what they are paid to do. Paying them costs money, so the company needs to create something that will bring in the money. That seems to be ARK Genesis at the moment. That is basically what you said. I think most people realize this, no matter what they might say here.

I think they will work on this game again, otherwise I probably wouldn't have been playing it for the last couple of months. I played it for a few months when it was first released, took a long break and came back recently. The difference in attitudes in general since over a year ago is obvious.

I think it is best not to focus on what other people are saying right now in my opinion. Mostly I just state my opinion once or twice in a thread and not engage those that have a much more negative view of the game. Most of them have their reasons for being so negative, and their experience of the game is much different than mine. The game is a sandbox after all and there are literally hundreds of different ways you can play it.

Yes, they shifted personnel to work on Ark: Genesis.  AFTER convince people to buy into Atlas with the promise they would fully develop the game.  Yet development on Atlas has been stalled on Atlas ever since the XBox launch.  Question, what are did they do with the money they got from the XBox launch?  They aren't spending it on Atlas.  If fact they seemed to have used that money to get Ark: Genesis out the door.

13 minutes ago, Slash78 said:

Yes, they shifted personnel to work on Ark: Genesis.  AFTER convince people to buy into Atlas with the promise they would fully develop the game.  Yet development on Atlas has been stalled on Atlas ever since the XBox launch.  Question, what are did they do with the money they got from the XBox launch?  They aren't spending it on Atlas.  If fact they seemed to have used that money to get Ark: Genesis out the door.

Maybe they will use the money from Ark: Genesis to do some more work on Atlas. I'm not going to hold my breath, but I'm hopeful. I'll probably maintain that optimism about two months, and then move on to some other game 😀

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Maybe they will use the money from Ark: Genesis to do some more work on Atlas. I'm not going to hold my breath, but I'm hopeful. I'll probably maintain that optimism about two months, and then move on to some other game 😀

The problem with that is the didn't sell Ark: Genesis as an expansion, they sold it as a "season pass" for a serious of expansions (or future add-ons to what's been released) and they charged $34.99, which is more than the $19.99 they charged for any of the previous expansions. 

Edit:  I just looked it up, the second part of Genesis is due out this winter.  So at least 9 more months of stalled Atlas development.  By then I don't think anyone would really care no matter what they're able to add to Atlas.

Edited by Slash78

Lots of the negativity comes from the fact the Dev's are cleary not doing a damn thing about cheaters/ aimbotters. I love the game, got close to 3k hrs into it. But i can't bring myself to put another minute till hte dev's start dealing with the very players that are ruining the experience with their cowardly hacks.

2 hours ago, wildbill said:

Stop speaking sense :classic_laugh: but yes you are right people use forums to vent their frustration, not gonna lie I do also.

After playing since day 1 and see no real change, then pause Atlas to focus on another game is a reason to drive anyone crazy.

I also know they couldn't care less whether we angry or not but you just never know it might strike a chord in them, if they had any sense that is.

• Like 4

IF we could play the game we wouldn't be complaining so much. I understand its beta but when battle eye kicks you and you have to use tricks to get logged back in its very frustrating.

I have played and watched the forums since launch. I love the game and play almost everyday with my Mrs. I have not been bored and love just putzing around the PVE map. I have had my 25 bucks repaid in gameplay. My negativity stems from the fact that they promised more. More fixes, more stuff, more attention. Then they disappeared for a bit before Xbox, had a flurry of activity to sell Xbox Atlas and then disappeared again. It screams of money grab. Don’t promise something and then not deliver it. I hate that. Blatantly lying by making a huge deal of what to expect to sell a game makes no one happy ever. Even the people that enjoy playing it.  

• Like 3

On 3/4/2020 at 6:25 AM, Muppetish said:

That's fair, I probably should have started this differently 🤣 I'm not usually active on any form of social media. The negative response is understandable it's more the way that some members choose to express their feelings that I was hoping to address. Fingers crossed both the teams at Wildcard and Grapeshot will realise that they're on a dangerous path 🤞

Yeah its the internet and people behave like children because they are protected behind an avatar.  If a lot of the people here on the forums acted the same way in real life and in particular professional life they would not be very successful.  I've complained about it as well.  Its a lost cause. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 9:26 PM, Muppetish said:

keeping your mouth shut is figurative speech, what i am trying to say is to first inform yourself and nurture your knowledge about the specifics of the game before telling people to stop being negative, simply because context matters, at least if you want your opinion to have to have certain level of credibility.

why would i reply to something without reading it? that makes no sense.

On 3/2/2020 at 5:03 AM, Muppetish said:

I see a lot of negative comments from the community on here and I can't help thinking that a lot of you seem to be forgetting a few important details. The game is incomplete, we all know that, there is fair warning before purchase and every time we load up on the main menu. The other thing that seems to be forgotten is that devs who waste time responding to every little coment, from players who have forgotten that they knowingly choose to play pre-release, aren't working on the game. Personally I enjoy the game and am looking forward to seeing what Grapeshot have planned for full release. Be patient and if your not happy with the state of the game then just take a break until it's closer to actual launch.

There are so many things wrong with this post....

Like all of it.

You've missed out on the entire horribly mismanaged, miscommunicated, and now abandonned dumpster fire that people paid for and were let down. It's nice you're new and plucky and have a positive outlook because you havent had all the negative experiences pile up yet, frankly you havent been here long enough to be critiquing any part of the community on anything. 

People had hopes for this game man.

It turned out to be a horrible money grab, and when the player levels tanked because of the complete buggy and horrible mess that it was, they decided to wipe the servers and push the game to console rather than actually fixing anything. And they take that nice big chunk of change from console release and go back to ARK.

Please explain to me, since you're an expert on how people should feel and behave, why ANYONE should be happy about the state of the game or developer behavior. 

Edited by Inigo

7 hours ago, Inigo said:

There are so many things wrong with this post....

Like all of it.

You've missed out on the entire horribly mismanaged, miscommunicated, and now abandonned dumpster fire that people paid for and were let down. It's nice you're new and plucky and have a positive outlook because you havent had all the negative experiences pile up yet, frankly you havent been here long enough to be critiquing any part of the community on anything. 

People had hopes for this game man.

It turned out to be a horrible money grab, and when the player levels tanked because of the complete buggy and horrible mess that it was, they decided to wipe the servers and push the game to console rather than actually fixing anything. And they take that nice big chunk of change from console release and go back to ARK.

Please explain to me, since you're an expert on how people should feel and behave, why ANYONE should be happy about the state of the game or developer behavior. 

I'm not claiming to be an expert on anything and have already accepted that my original post was not the best approach. What I should have said from the start is I understand why there is so much negativity but feel the way it is expressed is less than civil. Yes there is an element of money grabbing, game development is a business and profit is the whole point. Broken promises? What game hasn't had them during development?

Keeping quiet won't fix anything but how often does insulting the workers encourage them to work harder? Anyone who has ever had to deal with flak from customers/clients for the failings of management should know that rude and offensive behaviour is not the way to get results. 

• Like 1

Sean Murray, his crew who made No Man Sky are a good example. They took every verbal beating from their playerbase, pro critics, news organizations, everyone. Because they made outlandish promises, said everything was going to be there on launch day, and we got an Early Access title for full price with a whole lot of nothing, and they suffered. They suffered so hard, having literally no playerbase, but they said they were going to commit to making the game what they promised everyone it was supposed to be.

And they did, they admitted they wanted to quit and move on to other things, but they stood by their conviction and turned that dumpster fire into an amazing game, and it took time. But they kept at it. And it has a massive amount of content now they havent charged anyone extra for.

They worked it out, they found a way, and they accomplished it. They kept their communication with their customers and players and media outlets going so everyone knew what they were doing. And literally everyone had respect for that, they repaired their broken reputation by taking their blows for their mistakes, and making good on what they said, and it's truly respectable of them to do that.

On the opposite side, we have Grapeshot, a "studio" made to turn an ARK DLC into a standalone, that flopped hard because it was a complete mess. And their response to the game flopping on PC?

Silence... And then... Well lets put it on Xbox. And more silence. Silence silence silence, and then we come to find out theyre not even working on the game, they all went back to Wildcard to start work on a new DLC. When the entire employee base of a Studio fucks off without a word to their community, to work on another project. That's a serious lowball move, a big fuck you to the people who supported your idea by funding your Early Access.

Edited by Inigo
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, Inigo said:

Sean Murray, his crew who made No Man Sky are a good example. They took every verbal beating from their playerbase, pro critics, news organizations, everyone. Because they made outlandish promises, said everything was going to be there on launch day, and we got an Early Access title for full price with a whole lot of nothing, and they suffered. They suffered so hard, having literally no playerbase, but they said they were going to commit to making the game what they promised everyone it was supposed to be.

And they did, they admitted they wanted to quit and move on to other things, but they stood by their conviction and turned that dumpster fire into an amazing game, and it took time. But they kept at it. And it has a massive amount of content now they havent charged anyone extra for.

They worked it out, they found a way, and they accomplished it. They kept their communication with their customers and players and media outlets going so everyone knew what they were doing. And literally everyone had respect for that, they repaired their broken reputation by taking their blows for their mistakes, and making good on what they said, and it's truly respectable of them to do that.

On the opposite side, we have Grapeshot, a "studio" made to turn an ARK DLC into a standalone, that flopped hard because it was a complete mess. And their response to the game flopping on PC?

Silence... And then... Well lets put it on Xbox. And more silence. Silence silence silence, and then we come to find out theyre not even working on the game, they all went back to Wildcard to start work on a new DLC. When the entire employee base of a Studio fucks off without a word to their community, to work on another project. That's a serious lowball move, a big fuck you to the people who supported your idea by funding your Early Access.

They haven't been silent though.  They've been talking up the new Ark DLC "season pass".  The season pass they've pulled almost all of Atlas's development team, included community managers, to work on.  That was after they go all that Xbox launch money.

And we know they aren't going to turn around and spend that Ark DLC money on Atlas...because the current DLC season pass means development on Ark continues though at least December (when the second half is due out).  

As A pc game I would say I got my money's worth from atlas, especially the hours i've played for the price I paid. But the xbox version is a different matter. It could and should have been better than it is and they charged a lot more for it too, (prob microsoft doing some of that though). 

• Like 2

I see now that a large number of players have been through a lot with Atlas, particularly those on PC who joined at the start, and their disappointment is valid. My own feelings remain the same, I knew the risks when I chose to pay for game preview, I don't feel mislead, cheated or lied to.  There have been times that I've paid a lot more for games that proved far less enjoyable, and definitely didn't live up to the pre-release hype.  Hopefully Atlas will eventually reach its full potential but if it doesn't then I'll continue to enjoy it as it is.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 10:11 AM, The D Legacy said:

keeping your mouth shut is figurative speech, what i am trying to say is to first inform yourself and nurture your knowledge about the specifics of the game before telling people to stop being negative, simply because context matters, at least if you want your opinion to have to have certain level of credibility.

why would i reply to something without reading it? that makes no sense.

when was the last time you played the game? How can you know the specifics if you don't play the game? Do you not notice all the posts around here hinting that you are being a child and maybe you should just hush?

edit: ahaha figurative speech. Good one

Edited by eeeceee
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 2:36 PM, Inigo said:

The trouble is they were focused on one game, the devs on Atlas are focused on Ark, they are not focused on one project which is why I don't see the point in splitting the dev team, waste of time.

No Man Sky is a fine example of how it should be done, i've got many hours in that game also and at launch was poor just like Atlas. They listened to the community and turned it around, I don't get that vibe with Atlas though, it's a lost cause, you either like it as it is or not at all.

The worst part is they couldn't care less about the community, it costs nothing to come here and say something like "we are aware of the concerns within the community of Atlas, we can assure you we will be bringing some updates fairly soon, more new content is on the way" they haven't got a clue about development, I'm surprised they made Ark not that i've played it. Like a bunch of people thrown in the same room doing different things, no coordination.

I've Tweeted many times to Jat and Dollie about how bad they are, take no notice, they're not bothered whether it goes under or not. Communication is not one of their strong points if they had any at all. I'd be over the moon if some other devs took it over.

Edited by DannyUK