Muppetish

Too much negativity

I see a lot of negative comments from the community on here and I can't help thinking that a lot of you seem to be forgetting a few important details. The game is incomplete, we all know that, there is fair warning before purchase and every time we load up on the main menu. The other thing that seems to be forgotten is that devs who waste time responding to every little coment, from players who have forgotten that they knowingly choose to play pre-release, aren't working on the game. Personally I enjoy the game and am looking forward to seeing what Grapeshot have planned for full release. Be patient and if your not happy with the state of the game then just take a break until it's closer to actual launch.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

The negativity stems from people that like the game, and want to see it progress, but......

From all accounts it seems as all but a skeleton crew is left on Atlas with all the main development people working on Ark's new DLC.

Do a member search on this forum for the dev team, there have been only 1-2 posts for months now. Meanwhile the Twitter feeds of Atlases main communications people have come alive recently with Ark Genesis this and Ark genesis that without a mention of Atlas that I can see.

Even Jat seems to want to distance himself from the game, and posting under a genaric Atlas user name. Iether that or he's been replaced and that person is unwilling to put thier name to this game.

And it's not wasteing time talking to the community, again do a search on here back to this time last year. If you're newish here, you're in for a surprise.

you seem to forget...
- since the last major update many months have past...
- many system bugs are getting worse with no work on it...
- Devs are working on ARK Genesis...

The october 2019 captains log did state that the team would be stepping away from the forum for a while (in a roundabout way) and game development requires money. Ark is probably their best source of money at the moment so working on that makes sense. I can understand players being frustrated but all the negativity doesn't help. Atlas won't attract new players if the existing players keep complaining about it, we need to be patient and understand that it is a work in progress.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Muppetish said:

The october 2019 captains log did state that the team would be stepping away from the forum for a while (in a roundabout way) and game development requires money. Ark is probably their best source of money at the moment so working on that makes sense. I can understand players being frustrated but all the negativity doesn't help. Atlas won't attract new players if the existing players keep complaining about it, we need to be patient and understand that it is a work in progress.

6 months is more than just a while.

And I certainly would detract new players, just to save them the embarisment of having this dev team "working" on a game they play.

2 hours ago, Muppetish said:

Yes, money we gave them.  Also, I can't recommend this game, in good conscience, to the people I would want to play it with.  Why not?  Because the state it's still in and the fact I don't know if they are going to actually improve it.

You look at the state of Ark at this point in it's development and this game.  Ark added a lot of content and made big strides.  Atlas has made stutter steps and false starts.

It's true we paid to play but we paid a reduced price and we had the option of a free trial (on xbox at least, not sure about other platforms). When I suggest Atlas to friends I make them clear of its current state and recommend the trial. Most games ask for full payment on pre-order with a few months maybe less of early access with no free trial option.

Not sure if there are many negative comments about the game. I am only negative about the devs since they left Atlas for dead to work on Ark. 

1 hour ago, Muppetish said:

It's true we paid to play but we paid a reduced price and we had the option of a free trial (on xbox at least, not sure about other platforms). When I suggest Atlas to friends I make them clear of its current state and recommend the trial. Most games ask for full payment on pre-order with a few months maybe less of early access with no free trial option.

Games in EA use those who buy the game as game testers and to get feedback.  Grapeshot made it clear early on they didn't want feedback and when it came to them announcing a new "road map" they pretty much told us we've been playing the game wrong.  All while never addressing many of the issues, technical, gameplay and player base wise, that have driven so many from the game.  Not only that, but new content is MIA.  All this was BEFORE they put Atlas development on hold to work on a new Ark update.

I have to admit I didn't like the way the roadmap was presented and Grapeshot are at risk of sinking the ship before it sails, but I always knew that was a possibility. Atlas has the potential to be a great game and I will be disappointed if it fails to fulfill that potential, but that doesn't mean I'm going to throw insults at the devs. I don't agree with everything that's happening I just believe that it's important to keep things civil and in perspective. 

32 minutes ago, Muppetish said:

I have to admit I didn't like the way the roadmap was presented and Grapeshot are at risk of sinking the ship before it sails, but I always knew that was a possibility. Atlas has the potential to be a great game and I will be disappointed if it fails to fulfill that potential, but that doesn't mean I'm going to throw insults at the devs. I don't agree with everything that's happening I just believe that it's important to keep things civil and in perspective. 

I was civil, for over a year. Then they abandoned the game to go work on something else. Respect lost.

5 hours ago, Muppetish said:

I see a lot of negative comments from the community on here and I can't help thinking that a lot of you seem to be forgetting a few important details. The game is incomplete, we all know that, there is fair warning before purchase and every time we load up on the main menu. The other thing that seems to be forgotten is that devs who waste time responding to every little coment, from players who have forgotten that they knowingly choose to play pre-release, aren't working on the game. Personally I enjoy the game and am looking forward to seeing what Grapeshot have planned for full release. Be patient and if your not happy with the state of the game then just take a break until it's closer to actual launch.

So it looks like you're an xbox player.  Let's see what your opinion is after you've been here over a year, (if you're still around), with few if any helpful or interesting updates, a couple major changes in the wrong direction along with complete wipes, and then the announcement that the next 3 months development will all be focused on bringing some other group of new players online and you'll get a wipe at the end of that.  And after they do all that they announce they will be heads down on patches, but they disappear completely and you find out they're not Atlas patches.

You may have a different perspective than a bright-eyed newbie at that point.

And you should know that they claim to have Community managers and staff whose job is just to, you know, communicate with us.  Nobody expects the coders or graphic artists popping in here.

• Like 2

It is not the bugs, the unfinished features and the resets. It is the fact that they aren't following their own plans, sunk the Atlas ship and left it.

I'm fine with paying to play an early access title. I can look past all the bugs and dev fumbles. what pisses me off is paying for a game that a company appears to have never intended to finish.

That borders on fraud and its getting to the point where legal repercussions may be reasonable.

you pay ahead for reservations at a restaurant. you start getting upset if it takes more than an hour to get your food. if you dont see your waitress for SIX MONTHS and still havnt been fed most people go nuts. 

Yes I am relatively new to the game and I don't know if all of the warnings were in place from the very start  if they weren't then those of you who paid not knowing that the game might never be finished have every right to be upset. If however the warnings were in place from the very start then there is nothing to complain about. I've bought and played a lot of games over the years and as things go the price I paid for Atlas is, in my opinion, reasonable for the state that it's in. 

In regards to Grapeshot showing little to no interest in the feelings of the players, it is undoubtedly a bad approach to customer service and doesn't give me much hope for the future of the game. Maybe the complaints and comments about the devs performance will prompt them to change direction or maybe it will encourage them to walk away and give up.  They are only human.

And so we should be negative of the game, most of us here have been playing since day 1 and the lack of updates is appalling. It might be an early access game but in 1 year you would expect alot more content than what is in the game now. What has been added? A new gun, a crossbow, nothing exciting is it.

The thing that angers me the most is Dollie and Jat constantly posting on Twitter "how is everyone enjoying Ark?" "What would you like to see us do next in Ark?" why on earth are they focused on Ark? No idea why they split the dev team if all they can think about is Ark. They are one of the worst devs around who talks a load of ****

They can't even stick to a roadmap, supposed to be January when we say some sort of update. Where is this monthly stream they are harping on about all the time? Been to focused counting the money to siphon off to Ark, that will soon run out and they will be crawling back to the community with some sort of apology very soon, you watch "we are sorry for the lack of updates, we have been so busy with other things but we will be more focused on Atlas now" something along those lines, not good enough for me.

The community is not daft, they know what they are doing and can't pull the wool over their eyes. Many have left already, they won't be coming back in any hurry.

• Like 1

The thing is people pay for early access and expect to see changes/development/improvement. Instead we get post after post complaining there are too many ships of the damned and its ruining sailing so they fix the problem by making fleets of the damned that are still too close and have all the same issues but now come in bigger numbers per spawn. Players find a way to deal with powerful wild animals and it gets nerfed because its not playing the game the way the dev's intend. We have major bugs, issues and gameplay mechanics that don't work correctly which should be the number 1 priority in an early access game only for some new mechanic change (i.e. adding metal to the requirement for stone buildings when wild animals can attack through said buildings wall to damage/kill things inside). Then you add in all the out of game issues like dev's dissapearing or focusing on other games and that's the cause of negativity. Its not that the game was unfinished when bought its that the dev's seem to flip between ignoring the game, introducing mehcanics that do the exact opposite of what they players want or trying to force the players in an open sandbox world to play the game the way they think it should be played and only that way.

3 hours ago, Senkoau said:

The thing is people pay for early access and expect to see changes/development/improvement. Instead we get post after post complaining there are too many ships of the damned and its ruining sailing so they fix the problem by making fleets of the damned that are still too close and have all the same issues but now come in bigger numbers per spawn. Players find a way to deal with powerful wild animals and it gets nerfed because its not playing the game the way the dev's intend. We have major bugs, issues and gameplay mechanics that don't work correctly which should be the number 1 priority in an early access game only for some new mechanic change (i.e. adding metal to the requirement for stone buildings when wild animals can attack through said buildings wall to damage/kill things inside). Then you add in all the out of game issues like dev's dissapearing or focusing on other games and that's the cause of negativity. Its not that the game was unfinished when bought its that the dev's seem to flip between ignoring the game, introducing mehcanics that do the exact opposite of what they players want or trying to force the players in an open sandbox world to play the game the way they think it should be played and only that way.

As much as I want Atlas to succeed, I can't expect too much from this bunch.  After all, it took OVER TWO YEARS! for the same devs to realize that defensive turrets were causing server problems.  The problems caused by both the shear density players were placing them and the rate of fire each turret was capable of.  There seems to be a fundamental inability to grasp what's going on in the game.  Which is often combined with their inability to recognize if content or features are indeed working as intended.

dude with 8 posts who joined on feb 11 wants to lecture us about the game and its development. thats rich. those of us who you say are fountains of negativity have been here for almost a year and a half, investing our lives into this game and its development, just to get shit on while the devs make false promise after false promise then they left atlas to die while they worked on fucking ark. 

14 hours ago, Muppetish said:

In regards to Grapeshot showing little to no interest in the feelings of the players, it is undoubtedly a bad approach to customer service and doesn't give me much hope for the future of the game. Maybe the complaints and comments about the devs performance will prompt them to change direction or maybe it will encourage them to walk away and give up.  They are only human.

good. i hope they drop the fuck out of the industry and save the gaming community from investing in their lies ever again. if i knew they were going to pull this shit id have never spent 3k hours ingame and countless hours writing posts on how to improve the game and documenting bugs. fuck you.

Edited by Enki Anunnaki
  • Thanks 1

I prefer to stay positive, and to be honest if you invest your life in a game then that might be why you struggle to stay positive.  I've been gaming most of my life (started on NES) and I play games more often than I should, but I never let them get in the way of my real life and I never get upset about them. I hope that you all get the results that you are looking for, it's clear that we see things differently. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Muppetish said:

I prefer to stay positive, and to be honest if you invest your life in a game then that might be why you struggle to stay positive.  I've been gaming most of my life (started on NES) and I play games more often than I should, but I never let them get in the way of my real life and I never get upset about them. I hope that you all get the results that you are looking for, it's clear that we see things differently. 

my time is my life. i never said it got in the way of my real life nor did i say i care what you've done with your time or your preference on staying positive. only thing clear here is that you don't know what youre talking about and that you shouldn't be lecturing anyone about anything pertaining to this games development or their life choices. 

Edited by Enki Anunnaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, I obviously misunderstood. It was never my intention to lecture or offend anyone, I just think people need to remember that the devs are also humans with feelings and most of them probably answer to someone higher up the chain. They go to work and most likely don't get much say in what they work on.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Muppetish said:

Sorry, I obviously misunderstood. It was never my intention to lecture or offend anyone, I just think people need to remember that the devs are also humans with feelings and most of them probably answer to someone higher up the chain. They go to work and most likely don't get much say in what they work on.

Then they ought to show those people higher up the chain these posts, and point out what grief they are causing.

Think what your workplace would be like if your management told you to ignor 1 customer group in favor of another.