joefoe

Unable to Join Own LAN Server

Hello all,

I have created my own Atlas server on my laptop and am playing Atlas on my main computer.  I have done the same for Ark servers in the past with no issues.  I have utilized the AtlasServerUpdateUtility program for assistance in setting up the Blackwood server. Everything seems to be working fine except that I am unable to join my own server on my own LAN.  I can view it ingame but get a "host connection timeout" upon trying to join. All others can join just fine.  Upon looking into this issue, it seems that my problem is a NAT loopback error possibly?  I have tried these fixes: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/workaround-if-you-cannot-join-your-own-dedi-server.4672/  and  https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/workaround-if-you-cannot-join-your-own-dedi-server.4672/page-3#post-108621  Both of these fixes cause me to no longer be able to view my server in game. I can still view my LAN server via the Steam server options but when trying to join, it tells me that the server has failed to respond.  I am using 57561 as a query port, 5761 as the game port, and 25720 as the RCON port.  I am not using the seamless port as the server is only 1 grid (Blackwood).  I have port forwarded all of these through my router.  I am using my public IP to host the server and my internal IP (192.168....) is what im using to port forward.  My server computer has a static IP and my main computer does not at the moment (I've tried static with it as well with no luck).  

Any thoughts or solutions would be very much appreciated.  Also curious as to why Ark has worked for me, but not Atlas.  Thanks. 

Ark allows LAN connectivity and Atlas does not.  That connection functionality does not exist.  I can't speak to whether it's intentional or not.  I was not able to get NAT reflection/loopback working with my router which left me where my friends could connect to my server, but I could not.

I did find a work around that works for me, thought might not be available to everyone.  If I initiate a VPN connection, and then launch my client, it does seem to successfully route my traffic out over the VPN tunnel, and then back in through my NAT to my server that's sitting on my desk.  If you have access to a VPN, give it a try and see if that helps.