So I started playing this game about a month ago. After a long time playing Ark the whole "pirate" setting was appealing. After a while I noticed that the crew system is cool but there is something that is lacking and that is Shore Leave.

Basically the ideia is for you to "store" your crew members when not needed by making then go on shore leave. You would build some structures, like taverns/bars, brothels and etc and when ""assigned" to those structures the crew would not cost food or money to keep, after all, after taking their salary from you for so long they are now expending it with drinks, food and women (or men after all there are women as crew members too). You need to keep the structures supplied with food, drink and other materials so that they keep running but while doing so your crew members are entertained and would not cost you anything.

This system is similar in mechanics to the cryopod mechanics introduced in Ark for safekeeping of dinos, only it is setup in a manner for a pirate setting.

Honestly I have thought about this a time or two myself. 

On Ark they have no NPC players. It is something that they have stood by for as long as I have been playing. It has been suggested several times, but never considered for the official game. Mods have them, but not the core game. 

And when Atlas came to console so I could try it out and they had them, I began considering the possibilities. 

As it is, there are few things you can have them do aboard the ship. Man sails, cannon's, guns, the steering wheel, or to just stand around and fix the ship when the conditions line up. On shore I believe they can man the elevator and the some land based weaponry. But that is about it. 

And honestly, I have a variety of crew that I have saved from SOTD's sitting at some tables in a room at my house because I don't want to risk them all at sea and have no jobs available for them aboard my boats. 

So for that alone, I would love to have some additional work for them at shore. 

And I can see a few ways for this to happen;

• Add buildings, like the tax house which is an in game build, as you have described to the building options so that you can store them at the buildings. 
  • Add blueprint builds, as they have done in the Dragon Quest Builder games, where you build the building and as long as it meets certain requirements it will be labeled. This label could be, for this example a Tavern.
    • An example of requirements could be.... (these items do not exist in game so they would have to be added)(Items would need to be in an enclosed space, the area inside could be determined by the builder. 
      • Must have 3 beer barrels
      • Must have 8 chairs
      • Must have 1 bar stool
      • Must have 1 register
      • Must have 1 light source
    • By using this method you would still be able to design the builds yourself which would keep up a good creative aspects of the building part of the game and could be a way to invite people to be creative in what they build. 
  • Add Structures or Items that would assign NPC's to different tasks. Some examples follow;
    • Gardening Station - An NPC stationed near a gardening station would harvest vegetables and put them in the station. If you upgraded the station you could also add fertilizer to a bin so that the NPC would fill the lowest recorded plot as long as the bin was supplied. 
    • Forge Station - Place an NPC at this station next to a Forge and tell them what to craft. As long as the resources are available to them at the station, they will continue crafting the alloy requested. This would also work as a work around for the max count given when crafting the alloys in the station 
    • Mortar and Pestle Table - You can assign and NPC to use the Mortar and Pestle similarly to how the alloy function was described. 
    • Milking Station - Preserving Barrels near a table with a milk bucket. Assign an NPC to the table and the will milk any cows within a certain radius. Upgrade it and they will place feces in a separate bin for storage
    • Chicken Coup Shelving - Place a shelf near some chickens and assign and NPC to the shelf. They will then collect the eggs and put them in a attached preserving bin. Upgrade it and they will place feces in a separate bin for storage. 
    • Lumber Yard - Place it near some trees - it will not effect spawns - and if nothing else is placed within the spawn radius to keep the trees to coming back up the NPC will continually harvest said tree. Provide them with an upgraded Hatchet and they will get more wood from the harvest. The results will be stored in the station. 
    • Mining Yard - As with the tree, only you would place it near rocks, gems, or crystals. Upgraded Pickaxe will improve the intake. 
    • Cooking Station - Placed near some irrigated BBQ stations and they will use the ingredients as you request as the water refills (if needed) and the results will be stored in a preserving bin. You do have to place the ingredients in the BBQ for them to use for this to work. 
    • etc...
      • I could keep going, but these are the first few I could come up with. 

Personally, I would prefer a mix of the three. But that would be a huge chunk of changes. The easiest way to make it happen would be to use the 1st option and the 3rd option as they would only require the creation of a few items and code associated to use them. 

That is just my opinion though. :classic_biggrin: