Slash78

When you know NOTHING about Pirates, you get Atlas...

One of my biggest complaints about Atlas is that the Devs don't seem to know what they want this game to be, other than some generic idea of it being "A Pirate Game".  Unfortunately what the Devs seem to know about pirates is that they maybe watching 2 1/2 Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

OK, so what did pirates do?  (Mostly Golden Age of Pirates in the Caribbean, but other pirates as well).

1)  They tried to capture ships intact.

2)  The ships they mostly attack merchant shipping.

3)  They would raid and loot towns and villages.

4)  Pirates were hunted by organized militaries (or by privateers with letters of marque).

What DIDN'T Pirates do?

1) They rarely fought other pirates.  (Though privateers did often clash in times of war, but even then Merchants were the main target).

2)  They didn't fight mythical monsters.

3)  They almost never looted other pirate bases. 

4)  They didn't spent most of their time fighting the undead.

5)  They almost never found buried treasure.

Hmmm, looks like Atlas is 0-for-4 on actual piracy and 5-for-5 on actual non-piracy.

So what does Atlas lack?  It lacks merchant shipping (NPC merchant shipping and as all players are supposedly pirates, then it lacks player merchant shipping too).  It lacks a place to sell stolen goods.  It lacks NPC villages/towns to loot (and as all players are supposedly pirates, then all bases are pirate bases, meaning no player towns).  There are also no NPC pirate hunters and as all players are supposedly pirates, there are no militaries, no sovereign entities and no way to be a privateer.  It lacks the ability for players to be anything but pirates (sure, you can ROLEPLAY whatever you want, but everyone is the same as game mechanics go).

(It's like none of the game devs watch any pirate documentaries and never player games like Sid Meier's Pirates! or Uncharted Waters).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If they did the things you mention I'd be over the moon, unfortunately they do not listen to the community. They said they would be more active on these forums like Discord, where are they? All it shows is they can't keep to any sort of roadmap or keep promises.

They have freeports just sitting there in the game doing nothing, empty, any intelligent person would catch on to do something in those and bring players in. Why can't there be NPC's in freeports where you can take stolen items or sell things. Why can't they add some sort of trade system in the freeport when you goto NPC?

Many including myself have had enough of the same thing over and over without anything new. I will never understand why they added ghost ships or SOTD when they could have just used normal ships with NPC on them so we can loot. They have gone to mythical for me, the potential is there for the game but they don't seem to be engaged in it. It was an extra way of making some money to filter back to Ark, that's how I see it. You have the same templates, I don't think it was that hard to make but it should have been made standalone from scratch.

• Like 2

In order for Atlas to be more advanced than the ark game, there must be a story with the main character, like many other games, and there must be an NPC force, not a war between people. Without thinking about this, developers can only say that simply making it a pirate game is a lack of ability.

skull and bones I heard it will be made into a drama, but developers need to work harder.

2 hours ago, Alasson said:

indeed merchant and navy ships should be a thing on atlas

They were supposed to be a thing. Remember something about the golden company or whatever that would roam around? Not sure why it didn’t make it to the game (yet). But having 2 ‘enemy’ factions would be a cool thing. Like the Spanish and British colonies in AC Black flag. SoTD are still good for BP’s and stuff, and then a new NPC faction called ... company is the enemy of the SOTD and pirates, they have normal ships that you can either sink (half the loot) or board (full loot). Then we FINALLY see some board action. 

• Haha 1

this is why automated shipping where you can set a npc on the wheel and send it somewhere on the map, should be implemented into the game. swivels mounts should be locked to planks and not placeable on a deck. boom. some real pirate content.

11 hours ago, mishma said:

In order for Atlas to be more advanced than the ark game, there must be a story with the main character, like many other games, and there must be an NPC force, not a war between people. Without thinking about this, developers can only say that simply making it a pirate game is a lack of ability.

skull and bones I heard it will be made into a drama, but developers need to work harder.

You don't even need story for the main character.  You can make that up yourself.  You DO need the world flushed out more.  NPC factions with ships that move around.  With NPC ports/towns to sell stuff at (if you don't have a bad rep with that faction).  (I would say five factions, that way each faction has two "rival" factions and two neutral ones).  

And I want to make it clear I'm NOT talking about taking anything out of the game that's already in it.  I'm talking about adding actually Pirate-y stuff.  

8 hours ago, Percieval said:

They were supposed to be a thing. Remember something about the golden company or whatever that would roam around? Not sure why it didn’t make it to the game (yet). But having 2 ‘enemy’ factions would be a cool thing. Like the Spanish and British colonies in AC Black flag. SoTD are still good for BP’s and stuff, and then a new NPC faction called ... company is the enemy of the SOTD and pirates, they have normal ships that you can either sink (half the loot) or board (full loot). Then we FINALLY see some board action. 

I would say 5 factions would be better, each faction with two rival/enemy factions and two neutral factions.  

Remake five of the freeports into "Capitol" regions for each one.  Then have them own some islands in the world.  Instead of abandoned villages/forts throughout the world have them actually belong to each faction.  And make ownership dynamic and not just static.

7 hours ago, Slash78 said:

I would say 5 factions would be better, each faction with two rival/enemy factions and two neutral factions.  

Remake five of the freeports into "Capitol" regions for each one.  Then have them own some islands in the world.  Instead of abandoned villages/forts throughout the world have them actually belong to each faction.  And make ownership dynamic and not just static.

I guess that would create too much lag tho. 

10 hours ago, Percieval said:

I guess that would create too much lag tho. 

Everything these devs do creates too much lag.  Have people completely build over an island creates too much lag.

Though the upside is that NPC houses don't need to built like player structures.  They can be like the decorative buildings already in game.  That and the reason they were able to add new SotD and not an actual new player ship is they are less resource intensive (according to devs) so you might be able to make faction ships in a similar manner.

I wanna make it clear that I'm NOT asking for them to get arid of the fantasy elements of the game.  What they need to do is sit down and look at some piracy/age of sail games.  Games like Sid Meier's Pirates! or Uncharted Waters 1 & 2.  

Though I wouldn't say looking at Sea of Thieves, because it's all about spawning in, running around and sinking other "pirates" or getting sunk.  Then spawning back in to try to sink the person that just sunk you.  Atlas doesn't need to be a poor man's Sea of Thieves, it needs to be the massive, open world game that Sea of Thieves can never be.