Bleakwise

What to expect from Atlas?

I bought Atlas early access because Ark's was so good. We got SO MUCH new stuff in Ark Early Access, and while I understand player numbers are down, Atlas made a shit-ton of money on release. I'd add that the reason Ark early access did so well was because every two weeks there was a new tame, or a new item, there was a new map etc etc.

IMO Atlas needs a re-work to the golden age ruins. These are supposed to be end-game zones that you run/farm with your tribe, end-game content, but the only purpose they serve is to lock the submarine behind the kracken, and a place to fight high level SOTD.

I would suggest making land-farming as well as sea-farming viable, that is, make the island a giant Easter-egg hunt / gold/blueprint farming ritual, and raise spawn rates on SOTD in golden age zones. Simply all journeyman and up maps be on golden age zones, and re-working the golden age content to be completed without "cheesing" the game and using ships.

Something needs to be done, because there is no incentive for player interaction at the moment beyond "winning the season." Having a group of players with max high level tames getting 1 hit by giant random spawn, or not even being able to look at a gorgon without "freezing" and resorting to cheesing or kiting to complete a map or even powerstones is not fun gameplay.

Seriously, I think atlas players have just accepted a huge part of the game is broken and "not greifing/trolling so who cares", but that's exactly why the game hasn't taken off in sales, it will kill this game just as it did Ultima Online.

I don't mind PVP or having to fight other players to exist, but gold farming in atlas is so broken/lame it's a wonder the population is as high as it is.

Edited by Bleakwise

I expect nothing because they are incapable of improving the game any further than what it currently is. They hoodwinked alot of people, the money from Atlas has gone straight to Ark, Atlas is just a sideshow.

I've never really played Ark but it's a poor dev team who are working on Atlas. When you've got them tweeting about Ark DLC when they should be focused on Atlas tells you everything you need to know.

I stuck around longer than most people, majority left months ago but i've gave it up, boring and no new content. They haven't listened to a word the community has said. The only ones who get to know information on Atlas is the big companies in Discord (Dollie was caught out talking to them awhile ago.)

We will keep everyone informed on our updates they said, we will do a live stream every month they said. Don't believe a word they say, wouldn't trust them to run a bath nevermind a game.

I was honestly expecting Atlas to add a new boat every other month or so.

Sad because it's the only "PVP MMO" out and so little dev time goes into it, just tweaking scripts here and there, and the base raiding meta is in many ways better than Arks.

We got the 6 gun, crossbow, tortuga, and cat last year, rest was all bug-fixes.

Honestly I think they expected much higher sales, but the botched launch and all the negative press killed chances for this game to get resources put on it. The horrible melee combat system and superiority of it over guns doesn't help much either. People like run and gun gameplay not stunlock 1 shot kill melee combat and 10 second reload times.

The "end-game" tames are also garbage, ie the Razortooth gets wrecked by bears/horses. It's a complete joke. The Tortuga is only good for gathering sea-weed and that's if you don't have a sub. I mean why even devote the tens of thousands of dollars and dev time it takes to create these things if they serve no purpose in game?

Same with the Kracken, it serves to unlock the sub, making that hundred or two thousand dollar investment a side-show as well. With the Tortuga, why should I even do the Kracken except for getting bonus levels, which the community is telling you is a broken and tedious way to handle progression anyway.

You could argue "to get to unlock torpedoes" but nobody uses those due to cost, and Ice Cave is done for XP only, no rewards, so it goes double for that content, why just throw away your dev time by making it inaccessible to people and done once? Who is the game designer here? In Ark at least that's how you would farm element. And even if they did it becomes a "why should I even bother with this game" type issue and something long-time players will get bored from because the content is done once.

Even WoW reused dungeon content more than once before sending you off to the next theme-park ride. This is not a theme-park, it's a sandbox, a pvp sand-box at that. Devs need to make the content contribute to the sandbox in some way otherwise people are going to go back to playing PubG and APEX Legends and battlefield if it's just a game about throwing down claim flags, I can do that in those games without breaking my mouse left clicking trees and shrubs. Either that or they will go back to Runescape or that other Pirate RPG.

As it is now, my Atlas play consists of 1) putting food in my food larder and 2) fetching some deep sea loot crates for my gold supply and 3) logging out, because other than maps or grieving someone (which is less profitable than farming), what to do? Oh, and claims are so fucking expensive and such a huge monotony to maintain there is really nothing to fight over except your fucking map/berry-farming chores.

It's starting to seem like another Fallout 76 where "players make the role-playing content" instead of relying on EMERGENT GAMEPLAY to handle that for you. People should be fighting over the Kracken spawn, ie you should get something good for killing the Kracken. Same with Ice Cave. People should be fighting all over golden age ruins for gold and mythos.

Even 1997 UO had things to fight over, it was less of a "grand theift auto/pvp game" than Atlas, just look at that. People would fight over spawn camps and shit like that all the time. Flyers are already in the game in the form of a fucking DRAGON, why not have Leatherwings tame-able? Just normalize golden age ruins to lvl 30, make all the normal creatures alphas, you're done. Remove the ability to "pick" people while you're at it if you dont like that meta.

I would also suggest making blueprints like Ark's. GIVE ME A REASON TO FARM RARE MATS AND MYTHOS. I'm not going to do it if I have to spend 8 hours doing a map for 3-4 mythical crafts, and have enough mythos left over to make 100 more items, nor will I do it if you simply cut mythos drop rate, simply because Legndary items are usually better.

mean holy shit that mechanic is stupid. People are going to /quit or get raided anyway and either get looted or popcorn blueprints. Ark economy does fine with endless blueprint crafting. Would be cool if I could store those in a bank box too, which would add some element of players backstabbing their company to the game like you have in EVE, and like people aren't going to inside raid anyway.

I mean even Ark has a vendor-merchant now in the form of HLNA where you can buy resources, items etc, all kinds of questing, races etc.. How is that in Ark which isn't even an RPG and is not in Atlas which is AND has been in development longer than Ark's latest expansion?

Edited by Bleakwise
  • Haha 1