Percieval

Now genesis is out, is the focus back to atlas?

So devs, Genesis is out now so are we going back to developing atlas now? I expect a new livestream with a sincere apology for raising the middle finger to the Atlas community. 

Or are the ARK devs joining ATLAS for a bit now? So many questions that need answering as to why you’d think about doing it in the first place. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Percieval said:

So devs, Genesis is out now so are we going back to developing atlas now? I expect a new livestream with a sincere apology for raising the middle finger to the Atlas community. 

Or are the ARK devs joining ATLAS for a bit now? So many questions that need answering as to why you’d think about doing it in the first place. 

gg.gif

just tought i would drop this here 😉

Edited by The D Legacy

Should never have been working on Ark in the first place but we all knew they never left it even though they kept saying "we are working on Atlas now" the whole dev team are thick as mince, haven't got a clue.

Why would anyone think that they will return? ARK is a success and part two in the making. Atlas is dead.  A shame really, would have made an awesome ARK Expansion.

• Thanks 1

Tbh, Genesis looks ok, but after the hype dies down the cracks will be noticed. The reason ark is and will prob always be a success is the tames. People all over the world are obsessed with pets and tames, especially in games. If you don't believe me, go ask pikachu! Atlas needs to decide whether its an ark game with ships, or a pyrate game with some ark similarities. Cos the popularity of atlas isn't tames, it's the ships. So unless they are gonna keep adding to the ships and sailing in the game, they might as well go back to being an ark dlc, and just add a shed load of new tames.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Whitehawk said:

Tbh, Genesis looks ok, but after the hype dies down the cracks will be noticed. The reason ark is and will prob always be a success is the tames. People all over the world are obsessed with pets and tames, especially in games. If you don't believe me, go ask pikachu! Atlas needs to decide whether its an ark game with ships, or a pyrate game with some ark similarities. Cos the popularity of atlas isn't tames, it's the ships. So unless they are gonna keep adding to the ships and sailing in the game, they might as well go back to being an ark dlc, and just add a shed load of new tames.

this is possibly the smartest thing I have ever read on this forum. 

7 hours ago, Whitehawk said:

I would say Ark's popularity is the general sandbox element, with tames being a large part of it.  Atlas, due to technical difficulties, can't have a lot of new ship classes added (in fact they've added zero), which hurts it.  Here are some other things Ark has over Atlas...

1.  You can get the full Ark experience on any private server.  Atlas requires several servers with people paying close attention on map building to get even some.

2.  Ark maps are better made.  Seriously, most Atlas islands are much worse off than the incomplete Ark Valhalla map.

3. More diverse creatures.  Atlas is stuck with mostly the creatures it had at launch, which leaves the game lacking flavor when you are running around islands.

4.  I could go on...but I don't want to send all day writing this.

And two things that really, really hurts Atlas.  One,  Atlas world construction is poorly done.  A sign it wasn't well thought out.  Second, you have all the same problems (and negative behaviors)  you get on Ark official servers...but with more people forced on fewer servers.  Ark/Atlas devs have never addressed (and refuse) because they MISTAKENLY think of Ark's official servers as being part of it's success.  The truth is Ark is a success DESPITE the official servers.

10 hours ago, Whitehawk said:

Tbh, Genesis looks ok, but after the hype dies down the cracks will be noticed.

People would need to be able to actually play the game to notice the cracks ✌️🤣

• Like 1

Look here folks, ATLAS got sidelined so they could port this hideously optimized contentless bread sandwich to Console. It got sidelined again so the devs could go back and help Wildcard push out another DLC to keep itself floating. If they cared by any means they would have let Wildcard do its own thing and kept focusing on their new brand and getting it where it needs to be. Clearly its evident they dont fucking care, it's EA, it's not under the mother studio name, so if it fails, oh well, they can wash their hands of it.

If you want to see what Devs that dont care about you or your purchases look like, then look no further, ATLAS is the wagyu beef of mismanaged apathy. 

Now, take No Man Sky for example. FUCK THAT GAME, they fucked everyone over on release. HOWEVER, theyve been working non-stop for years to make it into what they had promised, and its years late, BUT look at a team of people who made bad decisions and made good on them and keep cranking out more content for free, because the reputation they rebuilt is keeping them afloat. That's respectable, good on them. Still havent touched it since release day, but good on them.

ARK? So many Day 1 exploits that are so deeply built into the game they have said they cant fix them without rebuilding the entire game(assuming they know how), cheaters are so rampant, they have zero official server support, it's garbage, that game lives and thrives because its a canvas for the mod and private server communities.

ATLAS has already sunk, and they keep trying to dive the wreckage to bring it back, but they forgot they made 2-3 sharks spawn on every shipwreck, so theyre getting FUCKED because theyre a buncha naked beachbobs.

• Confused 1

Based on the initial reviews of Genesis, I don't think we'll be seeing any development here for a while. Looks like they dropped another giant turd and this one may just overflow the shit show to the point where the company may have to dig for a while.

1 hour ago, Sydhart said:

Based on the initial reviews of Genesis, I don't think we'll be seeing any development here for a while. Looks like they dropped another giant turd and this one may just overflow the shit show to the point where the company may have to dig for a while.

I haven't played Genesis, but watched a few videos. It does seem to still need a lot of work, although the audience (in my opinion) for Genesis is not your typical ARK player (seems to be something mainly for PvE players and maybe only a segment of those). Very hard to tell what they were thinking at this point. It feels a bit like Scorched Earth at this point. Once you tried Scorched Earth, you went: Huh, is this really complete? It still doesn't feel complete. It is a strange mix of new and old stuff and not all of it blends well together. Same with Genesis. My guess is a lot of that will never be "fixed".

Hopefully they will realize soon it has a limited appeal and not through all of their resources at Genesis and instead get back to Atlas.

19 hours ago, wildbill said:

I haven't played Genesis, but watched a few videos. It does seem to still need a lot of work, although the audience (in my opinion) for Genesis is not your typical ARK player (seems to be something mainly for PvE players and maybe only a segment of those). Very hard to tell what they were thinking at this point. It feels a bit like Scorched Earth at this point. Once you tried Scorched Earth, you went: Huh, is this really complete? It still doesn't feel complete. It is a strange mix of new and old stuff and not all of it blends well together. Same with Genesis. My guess is a lot of that will never be "fixed".

Hopefully they will realize soon it has a limited appeal and not through all of their resources at Genesis and instead get back to Atlas.

I would have to disagree about Scorched Earth.  It was by far the best thought out and best polished of any Ark/Atlas release.  You could definitely tell it wasn't made by the main Wildcard/Grapeshot people.  Only issue I remember is people complaining about Wyverns being OP and they quickly patched them.

The main issue with Scorched Earth is WTF did they have a separate studio working on an Ark expansion when the main game wasn't ready for full release yet?  Second issue is WTF didn't they have that other studio doing most of the work on Ark when they seemed to be much better that the main development team?

41 minutes ago, Slash78 said:

I would have to disagree about Scorched Earth.  It was by far the best thought out and best polished of any Ark/Atlas release.  You could definitely tell it wasn't made by the main Wildcard/Grapeshot people.  Only issue I remember is people complaining about Wyverns being OP and they quickly patched them.

The main issue with Scorched Earth is WTF did they have a separate studio working on an Ark expansion when the main game wasn't ready for full release yet?  Second issue is WTF didn't they have that other studio doing most of the work on Ark when they seemed to be much better that the main development team?

Not saying I didn't like Scorched Earth, and maybe you didn't play it when it first came out like I did. The game still had the old system of taming. So many of the tames required stuff you could not find on scorched earth. Stuff like wolves that had always been in the cold biomes were in extremely hot deserts. Just for me, a lot of stuff felt out of place that was included in that map that was borrowed from other maps. The original stuff for the map was well done. I don't agree the Wyverns were OP. I played there like six months. That is when they "patched" them, and that is when I quit playing on that map. Doesn't sound like you actually played the map the first six months it was out like I did. I took a full four days to raise wyverns and lost sleep (I took vacation from work to do it). They had better be OP once you have an adult with all the real pain and suffering you go through (unless you think sleep deprivation is no big deal) to get them. People were selling the Wyverns for actual cash back then.

It does really say a lot for this dev team if you think that was the best thought out and polished of any Ark/Atlas release. The way the wells worked was just stupid. I kept expecting them to change it and "fix" it. I don't think they ever did though. Instead of using the wells on the PvE server I played on (since they didn't work right) was that people ran pipes through the air for long distances. There were pipes all over the place and fights about pipes (you could connect to any pipe, not just yours). Took a lot of work to find neighbors that would work with you and not against you.

Edited by wildbill

7 hours ago, wildbill said:

Not saying I didn't like Scorched Earth, and maybe you didn't play it when it first came out like I did. The game still had the old system of taming. So many of the tames required stuff you could not find on scorched earth. Stuff like wolves that had always been in the cold biomes were in extremely hot deserts. Just for me, a lot of stuff felt out of place that was included in that map that was borrowed from other maps. The original stuff for the map was well done. I don't agree the Wyverns were OP. I played there like six months. That is when they "patched" them, and that is when I quit playing on that map. Doesn't sound like you actually played the map the first six months it was out like I did. I took a full four days to raise wyverns and lost sleep (I took vacation from work to do it). They had better be OP once you have an adult with all the real pain and suffering you go through (unless you think sleep deprivation is no big deal) to get them. People were selling the Wyverns for actual cash back then.

It does really say a lot for this dev team if you think that was the best thought out and polished of any Ark/Atlas release. The way the wells worked was just stupid. I kept expecting them to change it and "fix" it. I don't think they ever did though. Instead of using the wells on the PvE server I played on (since they didn't work right) was that people ran pipes through the air for long distances. There were pipes all over the place and fights about pipes (you could connect to any pipe, not just yours). Took a lot of work to find neighbors that would work with you and not against you.

Ohhh I remember release day, our server Official 434 had 3 mutual alphas, we were in a big ass stalemate, where whichever one started aggression would incur the wrath of the other 2. Prob like 30 people active in each tribe, SE came out, and each one of us went to a different SE server in a bid to control one for ourselves. That didnt work out so well on 737, so one of the other tribes from 434 asked us for our help on 746, and we fought off a 90 man chinese tribe for like 10 hours for ownership of that server, by that time the 3rd tribe had joined us, and there, we were all one tribe. 

Home server we were all segregated still until word started trickling down that server transfers were going to be opened completely we merged on both servers. Cuz back in those days you couldnt take anything from The Island to SE, but everything on SE could be taken to The Island, so we used our SE server to raid everyone without consequence, it was beautiful showing up on a server with Wyvs, hordes of raiders, and just wrecking it, and they couldnt retaliate. 

• Haha 1

Rumor has it ships have a large memory footprint, probably due to nvidia waveworks etc, which would be fine but they are working within an 6gb memory limit due to console.

34 minutes ago, Bleakwise said:

Rumor has it ships have a large memory footprint, probably due to nvidia waveworks etc, which would be fine but they are working within an 6gb memory limit due to console.

I doubt that's the reason.  It probably has a lot more to do with the number of snap points per ship and collision detection.

rumor also has it that the person (team?) that designed the ship structures was one of the first to leave the company.

long time ago there was a list of job openings and somebody smarter than me pointed out they were critical design positions.

probably an easy google or reddit search to find the discussion.

after a year of dark troubling waters this game desperately needs an official announcement of something...anything.

it doesn't matter anymore. the devs fucked everything up, stopped working on atlas and let the community down so bad that this game is just a new world and lost oasis waiting room. i lost hope a long time ago... if the devs gave a damn AT ALL, this conversation wouldn't even be happening right now.. They stopped talking to us completely and didn't even warn us they were gonna be working on ark instead. fuck them. they will never get another dime from me again. just let atlas die. ark will eventually become old news and these fuckers will never have a hit game again. and by god, if i ever hear of another studio hiring any of these worthless fucks for their project, ill boycott them too.

Edited by Enki Anunnaki
  • Like 1

I'm half hoping someone out there with deep pockets,  friends in the legal industry and access to a pro-consumer courtroom decides to open up legal proceedings.  Getting to the point I am wondering if all this was just a money grab.

14 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

I'm half hoping someone out there with deep pockets,  friends in the legal industry and access to a pro-consumer courtroom decides to open up legal proceedings.  Getting to the point I am wondering if all this was just a money grab.

Honestly, I feel their success with Ark was largely accidental.  It was just the right thing at the right time and Ark is enough of a sandbox that people can enjoy it no matter what the devs intended.  When I say "devs" I'm really talking about the leadership.  Why they might know how to run a dev team and while some they've hired have the technical skills to make it happen, I've felt for a while they lack the actual game design abilities.  Ark has always felt like a loose daisy-chain of features and content pieced together rather than a coherent plan.

The worst part is that same leadership lost interest soon after Atlas's release, so it just stumbled forward for a few months after than, then pretty much nothing since.

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2020 at 10:45 AM, Slash78 said:

I would say Ark's popularity is the general sandbox element, with tames being a large part of it.  Atlas, due to technical difficulties, can't have a lot of new ship classes added (in fact they've added zero), which hurts it.  Here are some other things Ark has over Atlas...

1.  You can get the full Ark experience on any private server.  Atlas requires several servers with people paying close attention on map building to get even some.

2.  Ark maps are better made.  Seriously, most Atlas islands are much worse off than the incomplete Ark Valhalla map.

3. More diverse creatures.  Atlas is stuck with mostly the creatures it had at launch, which leaves the game lacking flavor when you are running around islands.

4.  I could go on...but I don't want to send all day writing this.

And two things that really, really hurts Atlas.  One,  Atlas world construction is poorly done.  A sign it wasn't well thought out.  Second, you have all the same problems (and negative behaviors)  you get on Ark official servers...but with more people forced on fewer servers.  Ark/Atlas devs have never addressed (and refuse) because they MISTAKENLY think of Ark's official servers as being part of it's success.  The truth is Ark is a success DESPITE the official servers. They built a game with saililng a major draw then made it harder and harder to actually sail. I don't have the real life time to spend hours sailing around enemy ships when I just want to go from island A to island B and the winds against me.

I'd just like to add fleets of the damned to that list. Its what stopped me playing and until there's an option to remove them I'm not likely to return. I'd love to sail around the world exploring islands, gathering resources but when you get a dozen enemy ships that can demolish yours easily over and over and over and over its not worth the effort. I could build a ship that can fight them but it'd be a ship built specifically to FIGHT them not a ship for exploration or with flavour and roleplaying touches like cabins for the NPC crew. Solo game so resource issues only affect me.

Edited by Senkoau