Sign in to follow this  
55pitfi3

How is this still a thing.

Started playing again yesterday since launch. How are people still able to hoard animals in the freeport?! There was a company (Uganda) had hundreds of tamed animals in the freeport with a lvl 1 (probably a bot) running around making sure they didn't lose claim. It just made the initial game experience horrible due to frame rate drops and just the fact I couldn't even run around without getting stuck on them. Devs if you see this, it was on The Krakens Grasp server north east section of the map.

• Like 1

Honestly, it's game breaking to be able to build rafts and have full blown bases in freeports as well as using freeports to keep and breed animals.  There is no gold upkeep, there is no puckles and swivels to set up, no harbor defenses, no way for anyone to get your stuff unless you make a mistake and not repair a plank or a raft.

The way to remove this exploit in the game is to make all freeports have a 1 hour combat timer.  Nothing is safe in the freeport.  It will instantly stop people from living out of a freeport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Collector said:

Honestly, it's game breaking to be able to build rafts and have full blown bases in freeports as well as using freeports to keep and breed animals.  There is no gold upkeep, there is no puckles and swivels to set up, no harbor defenses, no way for anyone to get your stuff unless you make a mistake and not repair a plank or a raft.

The way to remove this exploit in the game is to make all freeports have a 1 hour combat timer.  Nothing is safe in the freeport.  It will instantly stop people from living out of a freeport.

the problem is most people that play these games are toxic no lifers so a rule like 1 hour in freeport till safe only means that some players will sit and kill everything that enters grid. that is bad game design. 

1 minute ago, Acemac said:

the problem is most people that play these games are toxic no lifers so a rule like 1 hour in freeport till safe only means that some players will sit and kill everything that enters grid. that is bad game design. 

What?

You take away the 100% immunity, you take away the freeport bases.  It's literally that simple.

Devs have spoken on this before, and said something like, it's such an essential part of small companies gameplay, that they feel it would be detrimental to remove it now. 

Theres no need to introduce a 1hr combat timer, all youd have to do is change tames to a 1 day claim timer, and remove the effect resistance has on Freeport decay, also dont allow the building of crop plots, and piping. 

Honestly though, I think they need to just restructure it so that every pathfinder has a small amount of personal storage, and leave it at that, so just an npc that I'll hold like 30 slots or so of anything. That way some of your best stuff can be saved this way, but certainly not enough storage for everything. 

Currently I have a horse breeding line, alot of storage tames, farming bears and giraffes, two brigs, one max level, one almost max, and a full farm at the Freeport.  It's the best way to play, you'll always have good gear to fight with, and it's easy to gather up different materials to craft blueprints. 

However introducing a combat timer to freeports, wouldn't be very new player friendly, also would get quite annoying when you just wanted to do something simple, such as take a 5 minute break from the game, or get wood for your ship. 

11 hours ago, Slash78 said:

You're allowed to build in Freeports on official servers now?

You cannot build foundations and related stuff in Freeports... water pipes you can build and connect a grill that is floating that way, also crop plots, shops and buoys...
Anything else no, but you can live on your ship in Freeport obviously... complying to the Freeport rules in doing so...
You can fit a full base on a sloop...

The Freeports as they are, are a reasonable workaround for the broken PVP system, exploitable as always the bigger the company.

I think it's fair not to fault the Freeports until they make PVP land a place people can actualy exist.

It is surprisingly easy to solve.
Company-owned animals or NPC may not be allowed to eat feed in freeport.

31 minutes ago, Norsca said:

It is surprisingly easy to solve.
Company-owned animals or NPC may not be allowed to eat feed in freeport.

So leveling them in food, allowing them to live at least till they get claimable (10days), and drive them out the Freeport for a few minutes for them to feed and back they go for the next 10 days...

Thereby solving nothing, especially not the problem why they are put there in the first place... the broken defensive PVP system...

How about solving the problem, not the symptoms or in this case a helpful remedy...?!?! 🤨

know what else is still a thing? Aimbotting and it is game breaking. Dev's are not doing a thing about it either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The aimbotting is so annoying. They need to Permanently ban the person doing it and temporarily ban the whole company. I know 4 companies that have left the game do to aim bots and many more planning on walking away. Devs seem to not care anymore or something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dalinar said:

The aimbotting is so annoying. They need to Permanently ban the person doing it and temporarily ban the whole company. I know 4 companies that have left the game do to aim bots and many more planning on walking away. Devs seem to not care anymore or something.

They already got your money and according to Grapeshot we are all tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theorists so anything we say about people hacking in their game is irrelevant seeing as the developers have made the first perfect unhackable game.
Nothing to due with the fact that their racism is leading them to think that banning hackers is racist so therefor they can't ban the hackers for fear of being racist, when in order to have that fear, you have to be racist.

Edited by Ultimate Powa
  • Like 2

On 2/26/2020 at 2:54 PM, Collector said:

No, here's the real fix.

1. Get rid of island ownership.
  2. Bring back claim flags, but in limited numbers.  Create two home port flags, one for land, and one for a harbor.  Through balance testing, determine how big these need to be for companies of 75 people to build a reasonable sized base, and reasonable harbor.
  3. Anything inside those land claims, are invulnerable.  Green anchored ships are invulnerable inside the harbor claim.
  4. Create smaller claim flags for outposts on other islands.  At most, only 1 per island in every grid.  Testing my determine that it is better to limit the number to far less.
  5. Anything built outside of a claim, can be destroyed, and significant decay timers, similar to freeport timers.
  6. You can't build inside somebody else's claim.
  7. Limits on how you place the claims could be added, to aid in preventing griefing.  In other words, in addition to the limited number of claims, there would be a substantial buffer zone between the claims of different companies.  Possibly the radius of the circle, would be the buffer zone created by the circle.  So if the radius s 400 meters, the buffer zone would be 400 meters away from the edge of the claim circle.
  8. Bases would have a bank as they do now.  That bank holds gold, blueprints, and maps.
  9. Every ship would need a ship's safe to be attached to the ship before it could be launched.
  10. Gold, blueprints, and maps would be transferred between each other by company personal of appropriate level.
  11. You would no longer carry gold, maps, or blueprints on your character.
  12. When you find gold, it goes to the nearest ship.  If more than one ship is eligible, the gold goes to the one you select.
  13. When grappling flotsam, the gold goes to the ship you are on, and is stored in the safe.
  14. When going to a freeport to purchase things, the gold is drawn from the ship's safe.
  15. When doing maps, the map must be in the safe of the ship.  Anyone on the ship can then create a copy that goes to their inventory.  This would have a decay timer, and does not replace the actual map.  The map stays with the ship, and only leaves the safe if you transfer it to another ship, or base bank. You must be within range to do so.  Maps decaying would also remove it, or if you dig up the treasure, that will also remove it.  All of these actions would also make the copies in your inventory disappear.
  16. Blueprints are held in the safe, but just as is the case with maps, you can create a copy to place in your inventory, which you can then put in a crafting station.  To use them in a crafting station on a ship, you would need to transfer it to the ship's safe.
  17. If a ship is in combat, the ship's safe would start a cooldown timer.  This timer prevent's anything from being transferred to another ship, or base within range of transfer.
  18. If the ship is sunk, anyone can access the safe, and transfer all contents to a safe/bank within range.  If you control the area after a sinking, you can recover your valuables.  If the enemy controls the area, they will be able to transfer the valuables to their ship's safe.  There should probably be a cooldown timer for the defending company to access a sunken safe.
  19. These mechanics prevent people from popcorning their valuables, just to deny the victor the spoils of victory.  This also creates a reason to attack other ships, as you might get a good payout when you sink the ship. 
  20. It might also be possible to make ships carry 7 day's worth of gold, in order to have NPCs man the stations.  This would be calculated by multiplying each crew station, times 7, times a specific rate of pay for each day.  This simply bumps up the amount of gold on ships, which creates incentive for PvP.
  21. Make it such that Captain boosts do not affect player manned positions, only NPC positions, so as to take away an incentive to use human crew, in orderto get around the gold requirement on the ship.
  22. Ships at sea (not green anchored in a safe harbor), with all player and NPC crew killed, should be capture-able in a short period of time.  Animals lost at sea should be claimable. 
  23. The safe area for bases and ships, allows the game to be friendly to people who can't devote their life to the game, small companies, and solo players.
  24. The limited safe areas remove the need to spam islands with structures, and bases would be less likely to cause lag stuttering.
  25. Harbor defense would still be needed, as your ships returning to base would not be green anchored for 30 minutes.
  26. These mechanics remove the need for combat timers.
  27. Only green anchored ships and structures inside of claims would be invulnerable.
  28. Players, NPCs, and tames, could still be killed anywhere, at any time.  You will still want defenses at your base, as a result of this.  Only crew on green anchored ships, would be invulnerable (possibly).
  29. These mechanics also solve the problems of using building structures to grief other players.
  30. These mechanics allow a player to log off and have a reasonable expectation that their ship won't sunk while they are logged off.
  31. While you can breathe easy inside your green anchored ships and buildings, stepping outside of them would always be a risky proposition.
  32. In addition to the above, gold stored in a bank at the Freeport would collect interest.  Maps, stored in the bank would not decay, but would disappear if invalidated by building structures blocking the location.  Blueprints stored in the Freeport bank would regenerate crafts available.  Maybe one craft per day?   This creates a reason to go to the Freeport.  This creates a reason to hunt ships going to and from Freeports.  It creates PvP opportunities.
  33. Why would you want to have good tames?  Because there would be no safe times to farm islands.  You would want protection when farming.  You could be PvP'd anywhere, at any time.
  34. Create NPC cargo ships that can be sunk, for random loot.

That is a game I would come back for.

Edited by Captain Jack Shadow

People need to sleep.  I like the island claim system.  Creating PVE zones to be friendly to new players is antithetical.  New players should settle on claimed islands and seek protection.  I like the idea of a 1 day cool down timer on tames in freeport, however this doesn't fix the issue if the company is using bots to refresh the timers.  Tames on Freeport should simply not be allowed to eat and starve/decay if left there.  If newbs can't handle PVP on day one, they should be in PVE. 

Freeport has become a ridiculous shelter/fob for major companies that have been around since the wipe,and that are virtually invulnerable at sea as well.  So by protecting newbs the devs are basically sacrificing mid-tier players.

42 minutes ago, Pattus said:

People need to sleep.  I like the island claim system.  Creating PVE zones to be friendly to new players is antithetical.  New players should settle on claimed islands and seek protection.  I like the idea of a 1 day cool down timer on tames in freeport, however this doesn't fix the issue if the company is using bots to refresh the timers.  Tames on Freeport should simply not be allowed to eat and starve/decay if left there.  If newbs can't handle PVP on day one, they should be in PVE. 

Freeport has become a ridiculous shelter/fob for major companies that have been around since the wipe,and that are virtually invulnerable at sea as well.  So by protecting newbs the devs are basically sacrificing mid-tier players.

You say it is antithetical, and then you go on to explain why it is not.

First, games need balance.  Would you pay to go see a sports game between Pros, and children?  I mean, would this be considered good competition worth paying to watch?  Of course not.  Why not?  Because there is no competition.  Even colleges are divided into divisions, to offer more fair competition.  Same for high schools.

What makes a game fun for anybody, if one group can just run roughshod over another group?  Who is that fun for?  It's certainly not a recipe for a healthy game community that will stick around for a while.

Honestly, how long do you think most players will stick around for games when they get wiped.  How many wipes in a row does it take for the average player to leave a game?  I have seen people quit after one.  I have seen many more quit after two in a row, and even more after 3 in a row.

Why do FPS players log into a game, day after day after day, when they get repeatedly killed in that game?  So long as they are experiencing something close to even success and failure, they will continue to log in.  If they get killed, but never get kills, they would not log in.

The idea that wipes are needed for a PvP game to be fun, is just absurd.  That is only fun for the one doing the wiping.  If the goal is to drive players from the game, then wipes are a great way to do it.  I've seen many people quit because of wipes.  The problems you describe, are people trying to avoid the pain of being wiped.  In short, it's like speed limits.  When you put up  radar detector and it shows that everyone is driving 10 mph over the speed limit, people are voting with their foot.  They are letting you know they don't like the speed limit.

In this game, people are showing that they don't actually like the wipe mechanic, and are doing everything they can to avoid it.  Cheaters used under meshing to avoid it.

Why not just come up with game mechanics that allow everyone to avoid getting wiped, and yet creates reasons to PvP?  Seems a more reasonable solution.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Why not just come up with game mechanics that allow everyone to avoid getting wiped, and yet creates reasons to PvP?  Seems a more reasonable solution.

Don't get me wrong, I like some of the ideas.  In fact I suggested a single invulnerable home flag, for example, in the past.  I think to minimize the base/tame aspect of the game do this.

1. Remove levels from tames, don't allow breeding.  this would completely eliminate that aspect of the game that is supposedly ship-to-ship combat.  Instead of a breeding/trading/ground based/animal meta game.

2.  Restrict structure build to 800, instead of 8000 per radius.  This would completely resolve the Xbox performance disparity and discourage uber basing.  Restrict ownership to A SINGLE ISLAND per company.

3.  Remove EITHER, quality weapons or quality planks.  That would give ship to ship combat between mega's and newbs less obvious disparity. 

4.  IRON HAND elimination of cheaters.  Undermeshing, aimbots, etc.... 

On PVP NA there are really 4-5 companies that dominate the game by taking advantage of every mechanic.  Of course, none of this will happen, and I suspect more people will abandon official because of it.

• Like 1

Yeah i need to chime in here- It is absolutely 100% essential for solos and small companies. Also it lets you travel and take a night off.. or trade.

All you have to do is click the ferry guy and go to any of the 3 other freeports...... or go to another freeport. There's tons of space man.

also you can't breed in fps i don't think.

Also many of the other ideas are a bit too extreme i think. I like how things work currently it's cool having a persistent world that's what sets Atlas apart from other online games. Everything is in the world.. you can see it, walk up to it, etc.

Edited by SeroJ
thinking