The Falcon

question about bears

I purchased a "treasure bear" from a player, bred at lvl 62.  I have spent a lot of time leveling the bear so it is now level 92 doing 221 melee.  Before this last patch I was clearing level 19 blue maps solo  (level 70 AOD).  Bear was hitting for 56 pts.   Of course they screwed up the game with the patch that extremely buffed the AOD.  I waited to do any maps until the "fix" patch came out.  Taking advantage of the  3x gold weekend I set out to do all my blue maps.  I had a level 22 map and suspected I would have trouble so I put it out to the sector for help.  Two guys with bears came and helped me defeat the level 90 AOD's.  Of course I shared half of the gold with them.  Anyway, they asked me if I needed a new bear because I didn't seem to be hitting with much damage.  Only about 25 or 26 hp, about 1/2 of what it was before the first patch.  I asked them what melee their bears were and they replied 185.  They were hitting for twice the damage I was.  How is this possible?  Is there something about breeding and levels I am not aware of that affect the end damage dealt?  How does a bear with 185 melee do more damage than a bear with 221 melee?  Why is my bear doing half the damage it was before all the latest patching frenzy?  After this level 22 map, I moved to another sector and did a level 14 map.  Almost killed my bear.  Whatever they have done in the patching, it is not like it was before and they provide no detail on the changes.  Can anyone who breeds bears shed any light on the correlation between the levels and damage done?  Thanks.

Are you both using Nature's Cry at the same skill level? That is the only thing I can think of that makes a bear do twice as much damage when it has the about the same amount of melee.

They had two bears.  Possible the bears were imprinted and had mating bonus.  I don't know the exact differences, but there are bonuses for this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DocHolliday said:

They had two bears.  Possible the bears were imprinted and had mating bonus.  I don't know the exact differences, but there are bonuses for this.

This would be my guess.

Riding an animal you imprinted yourself gives a 30% buff to damage and resistence. Mate boost is about the same, but I'm not 100% sure.

Having both I do know makes a great difference, then you hit "natures cry".

Having imprinted animals you bred yourself means you only require half decent tames as the buff is worth about 20-25 levels in melee and 10-15 levels in health.

When those Guys were breeders  they have Most likely been talking about Damage before Imprint.

185 with 100 % Imprint is ~222% with 0 Levels spent into Damage.

Add Personal Imprint-Bonus + 30-40 Lvls into Melee and you have a much stronger Bear then your 225%.

After a bit more discussion in game with some of the breeders, I think that is the issue.  Since I am solo player, I don't have the points or time to breed my own animals.  Fortunately I ran across a bear breeder that let me be present at birth to "claim and imprint" my own bear.  That has made a world of difference.

• Like 1

Breeding can be set up to be not too time consuming.

I live in a tundra region and 6 grills in a semi-circle will  keep bears warm at all times, and with 1 stack of wood lasting 4+ hours. (that's your heating sorted)

I have a small farm for vegetables, having 1-2 troughs nearby they have never ran out. (that's the food sorted)

As for time, I get home from work from 5-6, pop on and breed bears, set timer for 4 hours, at 9-10 baby's pop.(this bit requires you to be present for a bit), but 1 stack of veg in a bear will feed a bear for about 45 mins, use this metric to guess when you can leave the bears backtracking each stack (45 mins) from the 4 hours it takes to reach infant and can feed from a trough, for me and my bears that's about 1 1/2 hours in and they can hold 4+ stacks.

Even that 1 1/2 hours can be spent mostly away from the bears, I usually get 1/2 a stack of veg in them then potter about for 20 mins, top them up again and come back at the 1 1/2 hour mark, top them off again and I can log off knowing they will mature without any more input from me.

once they are bread to my liking imprinting will be a lot more of a chore and will need a weekend to accomplish.