RyuujinZERO

Bad landowner destroying stuff inside buildings?

So, we've had an outpost on an island owned by another company for over a month. We've been content to pay our taxes, we've even traded with them. For them our presence has been quite profitable since we're active daily with gathering animals and we've never had or caused any trouble. Even going so far as to set up a mailbox for offline inter-company communication.

This week, we upgraded our base from wood/thatch to stone, and again no trouble. A few days later we added a garden space with crop plots, and tore up and renovated most of the interior as well as part of the doorway.

Then, a few days ago, we logged in to find all the structures replaced in the last 24 hours had vanished, and left a gap in the wall where we'd replaced the door. At first we thought it was a buggy rollback, but then the evidence mounted that the owners of the island had pulled a smash-and-grab on us while the structures were fresh and still had the 24 hour owner-veto timer.

This pissed us off, but we had chosen this island because it was ideal for our needs and weren't going to up-sticks and leave just because of a few jerks, and we knew the landowners only log in every few days (They don't appear to actually play or do anything with their island, just log in every few days and do maintenance to their slum of wooden box-huts). So, we repaired the exterior/garden and as predicted, the owners didn't log in for a few days and the repairs became permanent. Having now sealed the exterior of the structure, we replaced the sacked interior structures; beds, storage, smithies etc. confident the owners would not be able to access them to demolish.

Then, this morning, we logged in to find the owners had returned, and somehow torn down all the interior renovations of a locked and sealed building.

tl;dr My question is how did they do that? - Is there an island-owner function we don't know about that let's them mass-delete any structures built in the last 24 hours, or are they hacking/exploiting in order to clip inside the structure and we should be reporting them?

Update: We're now on day 7 of the build/smash cycle. The owners seem to be logging in more frequently for the explicit purpose of trying ensuring we don't lock in any new structures and even parked their galleon adjacent to the base possibly trying to limit sea-access. There's pretty good evidence now that they don't have a guy logged out inside the base, they're phasing through the wall somehow. 

As stressed earlier, they're not actually degrading our operations in the region so we have no reason to leave, it's just some quality of life stuff they keep smashing up like food, beds, gear and blueprint storage. At this point is this even within the constraints of acceptable behavior or does this count as misconduct? - They're being asses for the sake of being asses.

Update: A suitable island in the region adjacent to this one opened up and I managed to claim it 🙂 - no more abusive landlords.. We've left this island.

Edited by RyuujinZERO

Also, if you believe there is an issue, then I would suggest building in small phases.

- If you put down pillars, foundations, or ceiling, do not put anything on them until they are permanent.

- Any container you place, including stoves and such, leave nothing in them until they are permanent; only use them while you are online.

33 minutes ago, Jack Shandy said:

A posibility, they might have logged off inside your building.

Wouldn't their body be visible on the ground though? - Or do logged out non-company players now vanish in PvE and i missed the memo?

It's not a particularly big outpost, we'd definitely see them if they were inside.

3 hours ago, RyuujinZERO said:

Wouldn't their body be visible on the ground though? - Or do logged out non-company players now vanish in PvE and i missed the memo?

It's not a particularly big outpost, we'd definitely see them if they were inside.

Everyone vanishes in PvE when they log out

Ah, that might explain things then. I wondered why I hadn't seen my tribe mates sleeping bodies since we came back to ATLAS, I just figured they were clipping into the ground as they are wont to do in both ARK and ATLAS.

Any ideas on how to counter this if that is what he's doing?

Edited by RyuujinZERO

12 hours ago, RyuujinZERO said:

Ah, that might explain things then. I wondered why I hadn't seen my tribe mates sleeping bodies since we came back to ATLAS, I just figured they were clipping into the ground as they are wont to do in both ARK and ATLAS.

Any ideas on how to counter this if that is what he's doing?

Traps. Either pits in the floor, or build 1 x 1 squares with single high walls. Add doors if you want to get fancy, or windows if you want to look in at the thief. 

That won't work, the stucture is only several inches off the ground and any sort of new construction designed to act as traps, will itself be deconstructable by the landowner.

5 minutes ago, RyuujinZERO said:

That won't work, the stucture is only several inches off the ground and any sort of new construction designed to act as traps, will itself be deconstructable by the landowner.

Empty it out of valuables, put something in there that looks tempting, screenshot it and lock it up tight. if it gets destroyed / looted screenshot again.

Proof positive the owning company is greifing and not just taking down structures.

A ticket mgiht work after that.

Yeah I'm in the process of trying to obtain better screenshot evidence this time around. I had hoped ATLAS worked on a similar principle to say, modded Minecraft servers, where there is a clear log of who demolished what, when and how and it's absolutely trivial for a GM to look at the log and say 'yeah they did the thing they're accused of' 

I was foolish for expecting that of ATLAS 😉

Of course if the owners just stop acting like idiots for 24 hours that'll work too. This is the last set of structures i need to build to make the base feature complete for the foreseeable future; as it stands the base is fully operational. Just I don't have a food bag, bed and a way of sorting stored equipment (having to dump it all on the smithy and resource box, which is locked down and unbreakable). So they aren't actually going to shut down our operations and drive us away this way it's just... dumb and obnoxious.

Edited by RyuujinZERO

I know on PvP land owners can remove structures placed within the last 24 hours as long as it is in peace time. Maybe something similar? Either way, obvious reason to move out.

As established, the base is serving it's purpose admirably, and it's better positioned than the alternatives relative to the rest of our companies outposts and assets. Packing up would be a net loss.

What the owner is doing is teleporting inside our base and smashing the decorations/quality of life stuff, since the actual meat and bones of the base is already locked down and untouchable. It's obnoxious, annoying, and probably involves some sort've exploit. But packing up and leaving would be silly 😛

Edited by RyuujinZERO

I presume they are destroying things inside buildings with roofs and no open windows?

Because if it's just stuff behind walls or in buildings with windows then using grappling hook and climbing picks you can get into lots of places easily.

But however they are doing it, they are being total dicks, and are giving island owner in PVE a bad name.

41 minutes ago, Yellowbeard said:

The area in question, is it on foundations or ceiling tiles/pillars?

Solid foundations and basically flush to the ground.

1 hour ago, Killer Keen said:

I presume they are destroying things inside buildings with roofs and no open windows?

Correct, though now you point that out, there is a line of railings that form part of a decorative skylight. (Obviously all other windows are kept closed now) If there are glitchy exploits involving climbing picks maybe he's meshing through them that way. Not much I can do about that obviously now though since any new structures i build or replace just get torn down.

Edited by RyuujinZERO

Sounds like you're not going to be able to keep them out. But you can keep them busy, if they are so concerned about new buildings on their island. I would suggest spamming thatch buildings everywhere.

Just come to O5; we'll happily welcome you and even support a relocation campaign if you're on the Whale Solitude. 

7 hours ago, Polar Express said:

Should just raid them. 

17 hours ago, Polar Express said:

Raid them

It just occurred to me your username is the name of the island the company in question lives on...

Edited by RyuujinZERO

if u look for a island where to settle down we don't delete our people structures look for us on eu pve i12 venividivici the big island for grid . 

You could try talking to them. You have only been on the island for a month. Is it possible that you got a foothold on an island where the owners were logged off and did not catch you in time? Your goal is to keep them busy and aggro, but you are keeping yourself busy and aggro as well. Looks like they never wanted you there in the first place, so, there are millions of places where you are welcomed with open arms and would have a much better experience, for you and for the island owner. 

EDIT: Just saw where you posted in another thread that you already own 2 other islands. So what you are doing on these people's island is totally unnecessary. You acted like moving would make you homeless. Just the opposite, you are squatters on an island where you are not wanted. 

2nd EDIT: Just read in another thread that your own island is being squatted on. LOL You have the nerve to complain about those squatters in another thread and here you are doing the same thing to someone else.  

What a picture painter you are. Painting yourself as the innocent victim in all the treads...... when in fact, you make nothing but trouble and then complain to everyone and worse, imply they are cheating to get them banned.

Ahhhh ...... living the pirate dream. Congrats.

Edited by PoE

1) We never caught them online, they seemed to always log in shortly after I logged out. I made several attempts to contact them via other methods, like leaving billboard messages, unlocked boxes containing notes etc. but they just demolished them without a response.

2) At the time I posted this, we had one island, in the tropical region adjacent to equatorial, about as far from polar and whales as you can get. The base that the landowners started griefing was in polar and served as a whaling outpost. I have always stressed the base was an outpost and not our home base. (Though I spent more time in polar than tropical so the owner was getting the settler reduced gold costs)

Yesterday a 15 point polar island opened up in the zone right next door to the outpost, and I managed to snag it, which made island #2, and is why I now use the past tense, because obviously I've packed up the old contested polar base and moved to the polar island we control.

3) Seems like a reasonable complaint to me. There's a big difference between a settler - someone who pays taxes, and grants the landowner an upkeep subsidy. And a squatter who pillars all the resources and real-estate, to deny other people the use of that island. If anyone wants to settle on our islands they're more than welcome!

Living the age of sail colonialism dream - piracy is for suckers who get keelhauled 😉

Edited by RyuujinZERO