Sign in to follow this  
hartsia

i love this game and pvp, but the offline raiding broke me finally after 740hours.

Well i learned at least that a big issue why people are leaving this game, its not in its own game design. But the people who play it.

Heres an Example. As a 3 man group we decided to make a bigger company.  and we lived on lawless and made some really good friends and reqruited 5-6 new players lvl 20-40 and some old ones. then we decided to go and own an own small island our self. And after 2 days of preppin and making an galleon 3 schooners to move all 50 tames and stuff we go to our new island and started building, tried to make some alliances but mostly full or we were to small. Then a clan named "The Ninja Man -RPpve" Came and was friendly and asked for trades and if they could get materials from our island and make a little base there. the guys waited before we last man was offline, and made some cannons and took a horse with cannon, and took down our ships. After that they wanted to do a deal or wipe us. lol U hafto understand i had some trust issues now. So i say fukk u. Then we make a new move to an other island far away but didint take long the same day we landed there a clan named Limitless starts attacking us,. and killing all tames andd ships, lvl 110+ guys most of the guys were under 50 and have no clue how to defend them self or understand the mechanics in pvp. Sorry for making a big post, but i think its important that everyone thinks about how important it is to try to save this population in this game,

80% of our clan quitted this game after this. and none of the big clans made anything out of it.

In the end we all lost.

1 hour ago, hartsia said:

...But the people who play it...

It is no the people, it is the game design...
If the game mechanics allow someone to grief they will...
Civility is a learned behavior... if the game mechanic does not teach that  (like it is taught in RL by enforced limits on what is acceptable) you will have toxic players...
It is not like because in RL everyone is domesticated reasonable well it means it transfers to the next "world"... Atlas (and many others) is like a RL breakdown of civilization... no rules and human fall back to their basics...

Not sure if you did it right when you moved to the new island...
but as is know since week two of Atlas, the land defense PVP is totally broken...
It is too easy to raid offline, so players do... if the game defenses would work, you would have less of this kind of griefing, because your defenses would "teach" the griefers that it comes at a high cost to attack a base... so they don't so easily...

"An armed society is a polite society"... in Atlas you are unarmed as the victim the moment you logout... easy pickings...

Fun fact is, that griefing also happens even if there is no material gain for the griefer, so it would not help to make it worthless in game mechanics to grief/raid, because griefing in itself (harming someone for LOLz) is worthwhile... only it it hurts the griefer potentially more than it stops/gets less frequent...

The stupidity of today's MMO-survival game design is, that the devs always think they just need to make the survival sandbox and everything will sort itself out... problem is, that the devs thereby make limits (by doing as few game mechanics as possible) on what people could do because of the limited supplied game mechanics... so, instead of the limitless possibility in the RL, in game you hit a limit in what you can do to scare of griefing, the game mechanic does not allow you to...

The other problem with MMOsurvival compared to RL is that in RL if you die you are fucking dead... gives a huge incentive to NOT DIE... and griefing is a good way of getting killed in RL or in game... but in-game the griefer comes back, thereby lost nothing important...
Of course any survival game would be pretty useless, if you could not respawn... because of this it is on the game designer ("The Creator") to implement other game mechanics that put in a equally high cost risk for the griefer...
Or they have to put in protections for the other guy, so that the griefer can grief without damaging the victim... unfortunately that is the way devs always go, not make the griefing come at a cost, but care bear the victims... which only results in the griefer looking for the next thing to hurt others... look at Atlas PVE... the got more toxic griefing than Atlas PVP...

On moderated non-official servers the admins cannot make required changes to the game mechanic, but they can ban griefers ~ RL death in the game world... it works to an extent... the griefers and cheaters get the server death penalty leaving behind the other players to live happily ever after... potential griefers on the server know what will happen to them...

If there is no game mechanic implemented or there is a intervening "God" (Admin) it will happen...

In Atlas where the "Gods" have forsaken this world for ARK, the only thing you can do is use the other broken game mechanic to protect your stuff, because you have to live with griefers. It is possible... but obviously it is not possible as advertised - you cannot safely live on a island...
So don't do it or accept the consequences...

while i agree with you that the game design allow us to do what ever we want, it is also up to us to choose the way we play. and that is also a wonderful freedom that make this game a gem. i love this game and will play it as long as its possible:) what ever happens.

Hartsia

• Like 1

On 3/2/2020 at 5:41 AM, Sheepshooter said:

It is no the people, it is the game design...
If the game mechanics allow someone to grief they will...

The Last Oasis Devs understand this.  You do build crafting bases, but you pack it into your walker, which is like a land ship on legs.  You then upload this to the lobby before logging off.  All of your valuable stuff is safe.  You can set 5 walkers as "preferred."  This means that they automatically get moved to an Oasis to the East, if your Oasis burns up.  The concept here is that the Earth stopped rotating, and thus one day is the same as a solar year.  It also means that the area in the daytime is burning hot.  You live in the area between night and day, and move east as your oasis burns to the west.  In real terms, relatable to Atlas, it would be like the Grids on the west side eventually becoming uninhabitable, while new grids appear on the east side of the map.  Everyone would be constantly moving to the east.  Thus, the walkers are actually your bases.  Being able to upload your walkers to the lobby makes the game friendly to casual players, and players that can't devote 10 to 16 hours a day to the game.

First, if you live in lawless, that's pvp central.. you might get lucky and last awhile there but that's where everyone goes looking for easy raids and fights..  Your first step in atlas should be joining one of the biggest companies.

I quit not because of player behavior, in fact in season 3 I only lost 1 brig and my bases were never attacked.  I quit because everything you do takes so long.. want to go whaling? ok it'll take 30 mins outfitting a ship, 2 hours sailing toward the poles, an hour or 2 looking for whales, 2 hours sailing back.. now 6 hours passed and all you did was kill a whale or 2.  It just sucks time up, which is good in the way that it is addictive but it's bad if you value your time.

7 hours ago, Sykotech said:

First, if you live in lawless, that's pvp central.. you might get lucky and last awhile there but that's where everyone goes looking for easy raids and fights..  Your first step in atlas should be joining one of the biggest companies.

I quit not because of player behavior, in fact in season 3 I only lost 1 brig and my bases were never attacked.  I quit because everything you do takes so long.. want to go whaling? ok it'll take 30 mins outfitting a ship, 2 hours sailing toward the poles, an hour or 2 looking for whales, 2 hours sailing back.. now 6 hours passed and all you did was kill a whale or 2.  It just sucks time up, which is good in the way that it is addictive but it's bad if you value your time.

I never minded that stuff.  I was in the Navy for 20 years.  Have 5 years sea time.  So I know what it is like to be at sea.  I didn't mind the sailing.  I did mind losing shoulder tames, and bears, etc...when transferring between grids.  I did mind logging in, only to find that somebody did a Harbor run on us while I was logged off, and sunk the ship I had leveled up, and all the stuff I had on it, was now gone, and I had to start over...simply because I wasn't online.  I got tired of everything being about island and base defense.  I got tired of islands spammed with structures, causing me massive frame lag...but the animals cause even more frame lag.  I learned that in ARK.

• Thanks 1

yeah offline raiding is sadly 1 thing that has got so many people to leave. but i honestly dont have a good idea how they should make a fix for it 😞 i can only think about example making ships that has been anchored for 4hours + get 1000% HP that should save the solo/small companys people schooners/brigs they leave overnight when they are offline. and then make breeded animals take 500% less damage if you put them in a neutral state where they cant aggro or move or be used. 

I played solo the last few weeks of season 3 but I also played in a mega,  I have a max level brig, and about 25ish undisturbed large storage containers almost purely of raided/stolen stuff and that's even with most of the raw resources from sunken ships condensed into planks and not taking most bps/songs I was in the process of getting legend/mythic parts for my brig through trading when the news came of wipe and gave up on that.  I had containers full of barrel bombs, nades, oil jars, cannon balls ect all in lawless grids hidden and scattered everywhere so even if something was found it didn't really matter... so if you're a small company that's how you have to operate, you can't have a known, out in the open base location.