Sign in to follow this  
PeglegTheAngry

Dumb Atlas Takes:

Let's hear your dumb takes you can't stand! Please: No dev negativity! You can post dumb takes about the devs, but no posting praise of the devs as a dumb take.

Dumb Take 1: " Pirates didn't herd animals! They weren't experts in dressage and farming! "

First myth on our list, is also the most common one. It is 100% false, to such a degree its painful. Many pirates, Buccaneers, and privateers often sailed for the chance to purchase their own farms and plantations. Often, pirates would purchase these properties only to hire staff and leave family to maintain them while they served more calls to the sea. Just as we have "base bitches" so did pirates. Pirates certainly did not use animals as heavy machinery like we do as this is simply a mechanic to make our lives as players easier. However, it is not  unheard of for pirate raids to consist of stealing or herding pigs, dogs, exotic animals, etc just as we do. In fact, none other than Captain Morgan himself wrangled thousands of  hogs in his famous raid on Panama in 1671. Which is a raid strategy plenty of low level or under-powered players use in game, including myself!

Secondly, as I already mentioned but it needs repeating:

Owning and maintaining their current farm/plantation and livestock was the end goal of many pirates.

Dumb Take 2: " Pirates wouldn't be caught dead doing all of this manual labor! "

This is one I see people who are not from the America's spouting pretty often. It too, is really wrong:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haematoxylum_campechianum

Logwood also played an important role in the lives of 17th-century buccaneers and into the Golden Age of Piracy. Spain claimed all of Central and South America as its sovereign territory through the 17th and 18th centuries; despite this, English, Dutch, and French sailors recognized the value of logwood and set up camps to cut and collect the trees for shipment back to Europe. Spain periodically sent privateers to capture the logwood cutters – for example, Juan Corso's 1680 cruise – sometimes in retaliation for buccaneer raids on Spanish cities.[7] Logwood cutters, now out of work, frequently joined onto pirate and buccaneer crews to raid the Spanish in return, as Edmund Cooke did after losing two logwood-hauling ships to the Spanish.[8] When Spanish forces ejected a great many logwood cutters in 1715, they flocked to Nassau and swelled the already-considerable numbers of pirates gathering there.[9] By the mid-1720s logwood cutters had themselves become targets of pirates such Francis Spriggs, Edward Low, and George Lowther;[10] pirate captains Samuel Bellamy and Blackbeard went further, turning captured logwood-hauling sloops into pirate vessels.[11]

I really don't need to expand on how gathering specific types of a resource is a base mechanic of this game do I?

Dumb Take 3: "Devs don't listen"

Maybe it's cause I'm a kiss ass, but I feel pretty heard. All of my suggestion threads get dev attention, the devs respond to me on Discord....

Maybe your ideas are bad, repetitive... or.... you said it like an asshole? (Lack of trouble ticket response not withstanding.)

Dumb Take 3: "Low Level Fatal Error"

Oh man, this one. It was around for Ark too, or any game built in UE. It's literally the generic error name. Lordy.

Dumb Take 3: "Atlas is just a Ark Total Overhaul/Ark DLC/Ark Mod/Ark Reskin."

This one is by far my biggest hate. Just because its based on bad oversight during launch, as the menu for single player was still left in from using the Ark file Manifests (still uses them today, but Portal 2 uses Half Life 2's manifest... soo.....) This one is just something that comes flying in from salty Ark players who wanted this game to actually be an Ark reskin, when it's not. There is so much that is wildly different from Ark, while leaving some things the same. Which is okay! Alpha animals, tools, taming, temperature and stat mechanics, model reuse... That's all... just fine to use, its already a working system.... why should the devs done anything different; when literally NO ONE ELSE DOES. This is like accusing Rockstar of making Red Dead II a GTA V reskin. Or, better yet, accusing them of reskinning Table Tennis 2005 into GTAIV!

Edited by PeglegTheAngry

This thread is dumb.

However, I do enjoy how you started to go back to using different font sizes to show how angry you are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

Dumb Take 1: " Pirates didn't herd animals! They weren't experts in dressage and farming! "

First myth on our list, is also the most common one. It is 100% false, to such a degree its painful. Many pirates, Buccaneers, and privateers often sailed for the chance to purchase their own farms and plantations. Often, pirates would purchase these properties only to hire staff and leave family to maintain them while they served more calls to the sea. Just as we have "base bitches" so did pirates. Pirates certainly did not use animals as heavy machinery like we do as this is simply a mechanic to make our lives as players easier. However, it is not  unheard of for pirate raids to consist of stealing or herding pigs, dogs, exotic animals, etc just as we do. In fact, none other than Captain Morgan himself wrangled thousands of  hogs in his famous raid on Panama in 1671. Which is a raid strategy plenty of low level or under-powered players use in game, including myself!

Owning and maintaining their current farm/plantation and livestock was the end goal of many pirates.

Dumb Take 2: " Pirates wouldn't be caught dead doing all of this manual labor! "

This is one I see people who are not from the America's spouting pretty often. It too, is really wrong:

I really don't need to expand on how gathering specific types of a resource is a base mechanic of this game do I?

This is a game!

It has to be enjoyable to play before anything else.

Fulfilling this one requirement is of the topmost priority.

You might need to change literally every single thing that makes up your "game" if you can't make your game feel fun.

Even if it was a reality of pirate life and a neccessity for them, that does not mean it should be included in a game about them.

Another reality of daily pirate life was a lot of death and deseases, and they even had *gasp* perma-death.

If Pirates of the Caribbean was a movie about people herding pigs and wrestling bears, i wouldn't want to watch it, and i'm quite sure i wouldn't be the only one.

It is entirely not what one expects from any entertainment product that has been advertised as having a pirate theme.

And if you want to be a pig farmer all day, that's fine by me.

I'd rather play as one of those treasure seeking, boat riding and plundering people, known as "pirates".

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, user1 said:

This is a game!

It has to be enjoyable to play before anything else. 

Fulfilling this one requirement is of the topmost priority.

If Pirates of the Caribbean was a movie about people herding pigs and wrestling bears, i wouldn't want to watch it, and i'm quite sure i wouldn't be the only one.

It is entirely not what one expects from any entertainment product that has been advertised as having a pirate theme.

I'd rather play as one of those treasure seeking, boat riding and plundering people, known as "pirates".

Maybe this game just isn't for you?

If it's not enjoyable as is, or the premise of farming materials/keeping tames bothers you, play Sea of Thieves instead?

Pirate legend includes more than a drunken Johnny Depp talking like a Welshman having a stroke.

Edited by PeglegTheAngry

2 hours ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

Maybe this game just isn't for you?

Not for me, and not for the other 50k people who decided that this pile of garbage isn't worth their time.

2 hours ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

Pirate legend includes more than a drunken Johnny Depp talking like a Welshman having a stroke.

Yea, right. I can tell from the movies' total lack of bears that they are hardly related to anything pirate at all.

When i think pirates, i immediately think bears and pigs and 20mil piece disney castles.

And to think that i once thought that you'd need a boat in order to be a pirate, as you would just be a mere brigand without one.

9 hours ago, user1 said:

Not for me, and not for the other 50k people who decided that this pile of garbage isn't worth their time.

Leave the forum then, Loser1. You must have tons of free time being an "expert coder of 30 years." Every senior developer I know has just tons of free time to shit post on a forum about a game they hate.

9 hours ago, user1 said:

1: Yea, right. I can tell from the movies' total lack of bears that they are hardly related to anything pirate at all.

2: When i think pirates, i immediately think bears and pigs and 20mil piece disney castles.

1: Atlas is an RPG first and foremost. Ever heard of the Hunter class from WoW? How about battle summons in D&D...  oh... and... in this other game, that shares a lot with Atlas... god whats it called? OH YEAH! Pathfinder!

2:
Well its good that you think bears and pigs. Stealing livestock in the Spanish Main was one of the primary activities of pirates. I'm glad to see that you are learning! While in reality, battle bears were more of a Russian pirate/navy thing (they were used to carry heavy things, like cannons!) we have them in game because its an RPG trope.

As for castles, we already talked about Sir Henry Morgan's raid on Panama! Let's also not forget about how Sir Henry took over Port Royal! I'm happy you learned something today, its a start!

Edited by PeglegTheAngry

Pirates were people first, pirates as a "job"  or how they made their living, to survive and rarely got rich from it.

Large companies who have laborers and captains(people to go out on ships to raid.. others at base to farm) play the game in the most realistic way 😛

But, you really don't want realism, do you? Don't think any of us do.. What we want is "realism when it fits my argument on something I do or don't like".

Unlike "RL" Atlas Pvp servers, everyone is a Pirate.. With out civilians and other sorts to prey on.. you end up with just Company wars and other "pirate base" plundering.. That, should be what makes it feel "unrealistic" to you, over bears being ridden (as above, they were used by some to haul things).  Everyone being a pirate works for smaller games, where you log in do some quick rounds and log out again.. mini game style.. In a game like Atlas, it doesn't feel right, Players really need other options, imo.. port towns that can be sieged and stuff like that. but, where the game goes, is up to Grapeshot, it is their game and vision of what they want out of a game.

On 1/24/2020 at 5:57 AM, PeglegTheAngry said:

Let's hear your dumb takes you can't stand! Please: No dev negativity! You can post dumb takes about the devs, but no posting praise of the devs as a dumb take.

Dumb Take 3: "Devs don't listen"

Maybe it's cause I'm a kiss ass, but I feel pretty heard. All of my suggestion threads get dev attention, the devs respond to me on Discord....

Maybe your ideas are bad, repetitive... or.... you said it like an asshole? (Lack of trouble ticket response not withstanding.)

Dumb Take 3: "Low Level Fatal Error"

Oh man, this one. It was around for Ark too, or any game built in UE. It's literally the generic error name. Lordy.

Dumb Take 3: "Atlas is just a Ark Total Overhaul/Ark DLC/Ark Mod/Ark Reskin."

This one is by far my biggest hate. Just because its based on bad oversight during launch, as the menu for single player was still left in from using the Ark file Manifests (still uses them today, but Portal 2 uses Half Life 2's manifest... soo.....) This one is just something that comes flying in from salty Ark players who wanted this game to actually be an Ark reskin, when it's not. There is so much that is wildly different from Ark, while leaving some things the same. Which is okay! Alpha animals, tools, taming, temperature and stat mechanics, model reuse... That's all... just fine to use, its already a working system.... why should the devs done anything different; when literally NO ONE ELSE DOES. This is like accusing Rockstar of making Red Dead II a GTA V reskin. Or, better yet, accusing them of reskinning Table Tennis 2005 into GTAIV!

the problem is that most people came to the game to have fun, wheter or not they are historically accurate would come in second place... or lower

in my opinion the biggest mistake this game did was to halt its development to focus on the xbox release, at that point is when they totally lost me as a player and as a consumer

12 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

in my opinion the biggest mistake this game did was to halt its development to focus on the xbox release, at that point is when they totally lost me as a player and as a consumer 

Why?

12 hours ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

Why?

i was sold a work in progress, not a work on hold, i bought and played the game knowing it was not complete but i was never told they would diminish their work in atlas to minimums to focus that work force in side projects such as the xbox release

On 1/27/2020 at 1:50 AM, The D Legacy said:

i was sold a work in progress, not a work on hold, i bought and played the game knowing it was not complete but i was never told they would diminish their work in atlas to minimums to focus that work force in side projects such as the xbox release

Well, its a tiny team and they have other games to work on. Thats how all studios work. Early Access is not for you if this is your concern. Furthermore, getting Xbox done early and getting crossplay working at the beginning... makes much more sense than working on it later. Like, I know I throw this out a lot... but for real, I really want you to consider that the devs arent at fault here. You personally, are being bit entitled.

3 hours ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

Well, its a tiny team and they have other games to work on. Thats how all studios work. Early Access is not for you if this is your concern. Furthermore, getting Xbox done early and getting crossplay working at the beginning... makes much more sense than working on it later. Like, I know I throw this out a lot... but for real, I really want you to consider that the devs arent at fault here. You personally, are being bit entitled.

No. nope. They have no other games to work on, this is literally what this entire studio was made for, was making this game. That's not how studios work, usually studios build up a portfolio of games they have made and keep going from there. They dont usually create little side studios to get away from their chinese overlords they sold out to to pay off their court ordered debts, and then technically poach a 2017 mod version of that game from said previous studio, and release it as a brand spanking new game. [Edit: nevermind, it looks like they never really escaped, Snail Games still publishes it in different store fronts(like Microsofts), or intrinsic in some others(egyptian publisher).

I mean saying that's how all studios work is a pretty huge stretch. It gives us a pretty good insight into how little you really know about any of this.

Usually game designers dont port a game to another platform until their game is already in a pretty respectable state, and most of them give themselves proper time to port it over if its not all ready to go at once.

A good example of this is made for console games that get ports onto to PC. Most developers on average give themselves at least a year to port the game over after release, because console platforms are very different and generally break the game if they dont do it right.

They took a buggy broken mess and ported it over to console. It wasnt a great decision. They basically cronenberged it.

latest?cb=20160910175754

Edited by Inigo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

No. nope. They have no other games to work on, this is literally what this entire studio was made for, was making this game. That's not how studios work, usually studios build up a portfolio of games they have made and keep going from there.

DSaU41P.png

go-ahead-and-5c8dca.jpg

Usually game designers dont port a game to another platform until their game is already in a pretty respectable state, and most of them give themselves proper time to port it over if its not all ready to go at once.

I mean saying that's how all studios work is a pretty huge stretch. It gives us a pretty good insight into how little you really know about any of this.

I like that you imply that devs don't work on multiple platforms simultaneously, and that you don't know the difference between "multiple platform" and "port."

They dont usually create little side studios to get away from their chinese overlords they sold out to to pay off their court ordered debts, and then technically poach a 2017 mod version of that game from said previous studio, and release it as a brand spanking new game. [Edit: nevermind, it looks like they never really escaped, Snail Games still publishes it in different store fronts(like Microsofts), or intrinsic in some others(egyptian publisher).

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft. Studios are indeed often created to work on specific properties.

Edited by PeglegTheAngry
  • Confused 1

The best part is when we were talking about Grapeshot games working on other games, and I was like nope, they sure arent. So he posted a screengrab of Studio Wildcard, with ARK and ARK DLCs... Why isnt the ATLAS DLC listed there too?

Oh... shit... it's because theyre different studios... Sure proved me wrong.

Edited by Inigo

When doing a search on the internet about grapeshot games, all I could see was studio wildcard this, ark that, ark dlc this, who is grapeshot that.

😕

Edited by eeeceee

Grapeshot Games studio has no official website for themselves, it was made exclusively to push out ATLAS with a recycled ARK build/content. Still published by Intrinsic and Snail Games. Not sure if it was to distance themselves from Wildcards history, or if it was such a crap-shoot they didnt want Wildcards name further ruined by this thing. From what I understand Wildcard and Grapeshot still share the same office building but is still its own entity(technically).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Inigo said:

or if it was such a crap-shoot they didnt want Wildcards name further ruined by this thing. From what I understand Wildcard and Grapeshot still share the same office building but is still its own entity(technically).

https://www.google.com/search?q=grapeshot+games

😂

4uP7xzS.png
You don't understand shit.

Maxis makes all of Electronic Art's Sims titles, but it is not at all it's own independent studio.

Grapeshot is a brand made specifically for the Atlas product, as is common place for specific titles or properties at some studios.

Just as "Instinct Games" is a studio made specifically to work on the Ark series:
https://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=Instinct Games

Edited by PeglegTheAngry
  • Confused 1

In reply to someone saying "from what they understand WC and GS both work in the same building" you want to post that they are independent, and it's just like Instinct Games being a studio made specifically to work on Ark?

Instinct games is from Egypt, I don't think they share offices due to location. They did work on ark, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. Is that why you're posting screenshots? Because they worked on ark?

iirc, Grapeshot was created with a bunch of WC and a bunch of Instinct Games devs, along with some other new hires.

Might want to edit your op.

2 hours ago, eeeceee said:

In reply to someone saying "from what they understand WC and GS both work in the same building" you want to post that they are independent...

I'm not posting that at all.  Quite the opposite.

However, saying that "Grapeshot was made to protect WildCard" when literally... googling "Grapeshot Games" pulls up Studio Wildcard.

I mean, the description page for the game literally says  FROM THE MAKERS OF ARK

. Like.... no.... dudes: Grapeshot is not its own entity and its not set up to protect SWC

2 hours ago, eeeceee said:

ust like Instinct Games being a studio made specifically to work on Ark?

Alright, I shit the bed on this one. Willdshot/Snail have so many project studios (lol @ Bethesda for this too...) I honestly thought this was just another one.

Edited by PeglegTheAngry

You don't understand shit the bed.

Yeah, I said I googled.

Wtf man.

Edited by eeeceee