Sugerjunky

Ice vs Salt

Have a question which is better to use ice or salt I don’t seem to use my ice much and I have loads. Wonder if anyone knew, can’t find any answer around the internet. 

I've read that ice preserves stuff in the preserving bag longer, but I have never used it. Seems like a lot of work is involved to make and transport something that is just going to melt. 

With ice you can preserve prime meat and fish. You cant do that with salt. i do believe it preserves better then salt to.

we use ice in the bag after things have been preserved with salt I don't think its a one or the other thing. the ice just makes the decay timer go up.  

Ice and salt together makes the ice last longer, which will vastly increase spoil times of food. Cold weather will also lower spoil times when using ice.

Edited by PeglegTheAngry

1 hour ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

Ice and salt together makes the ice last longer, which will vastly increase spoil times of food. Cold weather will also lower spoil times when using ice.

If that is the case that is even dumber than the super aggressive Mantas. Whoever planned all of this must have been a Kindergarten dropout.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Grongash said:

If that is the case that is even dumber than the super aggressive Mantas. Whoever planned all of this must have been a Kindergarten dropout.

Oh? Why? If it's because "lul salt makes ice melt dummy" Cause that's some clown stuff.

Salt lowers the freezing point of water, it doesn't heat it up. The fluid in the bag will still be SUBFREEZING.

For you:

cee973b39b731addf670f519fbf915eb798f3e99880ac9b29fcbaa76c7afe93b_1.jpg.e187cc2f3ba5e53aac81460f7f4f2e87.jpg

Edited by PeglegTheAngry

On 1/24/2020 at 5:15 AM, PeglegTheAngry said:

Oh? Why? If it's because "lul salt makes ice melt dummy" Cause that's some clown stuff.

Salt lowers the freezing point of water, it doesn't heat it up. The fluid in the bag will still be SUBFREEZING.

For you:

cee973b39b731addf670f519fbf915eb798f3e99880ac9b29fcbaa76c7afe93b_1.jpg.e187cc2f3ba5e53aac81460f7f4f2e87.jpg

You kind of prove my point here. I didn't say that it makes ice melt, or that it heats it up. 

Salt reduces the melting point of water by up to 20°C, you somewhat googled that one right. But how exactly would freezing point depression decrease the spoiling time by double? And do you store your food in subfreezing -20°C Saltwater at home? Yummie. 

You should hold on to the Clown license, it is clearly yours.

For future reference: It looks more impressive if you dont edit your post after you googled stuff. While you are at it,  google Manta rays.

• Haha 1

On 1/23/2020 at 3:09 AM, PeglegTheAngry said:

It's been a while since I tested this, but when ice first came out, I checked the spoil times of food with salt, food with ice (including salted meat and fish put in an ice bag), and the same stuff in a bag with both salt and ice.  Including salt in the ice bag lowered the timer and made thing spoil quicker.  I didn't test to see whether salt made the ice last longer, because the important thing to me was the food timer.

*Forgot to add that salted meat in an ice bag lasts way longer than raw meat in an ice bag.*

A stack of 100 ice lasts at least 3 days in a bag in the tundra.  YYMV depending on climate.

Edited by Winter Thorne

1 hour ago, Grongash said:

For future reference: It looks more impressive if you dont edit your post after you googled stuff. While you are at it,  google Manta rays.

Extra salted french cries, my favorite.

On 1/20/2020 at 2:45 PM, wildbill said:

I've read that ice preserves stuff in the preserving bag longer, but I have never used it. Seems like a lot of work is involved to make and transport something that is just going to melt. 

I read that you can place the chest in deep waters that is cold enough and get ice. I have tested this out but hey its worth a shot!

On 1/25/2020 at 11:46 AM, Grongash said:

You kind of prove my point here. I didn't say that it makes ice melt, or that it heats it up. 

Salt reduces the melting point of water by up to 20°C, you somewhat googled that one right. But how exactly would freezing point depression decrease the spoiling time by double? And do you store your food in subfreezing -20°C Saltwater at home? Yummie. 

You should hold on to the Clown license, it is clearly yours.

I'll give this; that was some fancy mental gymnastics you pulled to squirm out from under that one.

• Like 1

Ice is easier to get, usefull if you are in tundra or Polar. Now for other regions you have to switch to salt, wich require a bit more work.