Shepard_Fury

We need more information, where are we on the roadmap?

On 1/28/2020 at 2:51 PM, Inigo said:

You cited Rust. Rust is a game title that is 7 years old, and still has a much higher percentile of players still playing and is still growing. Rust is pretty dedicated to bug fixes, content growth, anti-cheat(including hardware bans)., and sustains itself on more than just selling units of the game. 

All of the things that ATLAS developers do not do. Rust is thriving.

This is an important point ....  Despite how poorly the GS Devs seemingly treat their player base, Rust is an example of a success and Atlas is not.  While I do think this treatment has an effect on the past, current and potential future players I don't think it is the reason for the poor shape Atlas is in. 

It is the lack of wipes, like Rust.  I've said many times before that the best time in Atlas is immediately following a wipe.  Everyone is running around in common gear.  Everyone is sailing base ships with base sails and base cannons.  It is as close to a player skill oriented game as Atlas can get.  Fast forward a month and it's a completely different game that the large clans rule over the small and new players quickly figure out the disadvantage they are at and what it will to take to catch up, if they ever can. 

Frequent wipes would do this game wonders, communication,  "dedicated to bug fixes, content growth, anti-cheat(including hardware bans)., and sustains itself on more than just selling units of the game." would certainly help a bit as well.

smh .... 7 years old and #7 on the steam top game by players charts 

https://steamcharts.com/top

2 hours ago, Enki Anunnaki said:

probably a good thing i never implied 55k was the standard then, just what this game started with.

And it’s not a number you can use in any argument you try to have. 6K on official is a good amount for Atlas. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Percieval said:

And it’s not a number you can use in any argument you try to have. 6K on official is a good amount for Atlas. 

but yet i did use it in an argument, so saying i cant is a pretty stupid argument in and of itself. 6k on an official server that advertises itself as being able to hold 40k is quite sad. 

10 minutes ago, Enki Anunnaki said:

but yet i did use it in an argument, so saying i cant is a pretty stupid argument in and of itself. 6k on an official server that advertises itself as being able to hold 40k is quite sad. 

Because atlas is the only game developer that does that? Ghehehe.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Whitehawk said:

The reason rust is so popular says more about human nature than about the quality of the game.

I've played Rust on and off, never quite caught me as much as say 2015-late 2017 Ark PVP did. That Ark network transfer, 24/7 warfare, wiping one server after the next, using all the resources gained from previous server to invade the next. It was so beautiful. You'd logon for the day and everyone would be like "Hey! We're fighting on this server tonight! Come grab some shit and get over here!"

Every night it was a server raid somewhere, ransacking servers one after the next. The chinese servers were the best, you'd crack one base and walk away with like 30k rockets and asc gear up the wazooo.

Did get into some pretty good fights in Rusts, and I have to admit, my experience with cheaters in Rust was far less than Ark, DayZ, Scum, even Atlas.

Edited by Inigo

On 1/30/2020 at 5:22 PM, PeglegTheAngry said:

Obviously you don't, or else you would have posted a definition.

Are you dumb were talking about in game dev terms not actual definition. Alpha means test phase, where they release constant updates based off of player feedback and improve the game. Thats what an alpha usually is. You act like you are a professional in game development yet you have sound like you don't even play half the game.

11 hours ago, Percieval said:

Because atlas is the only game developer that does that? Ghehehe.

Who cares if other game developers besides atlas are developing games? Derp

33 minutes ago, eeeceee said:

Who cares if other game developers besides atlas are developing games? Derp

? I’m saying pretty much every game developer with large servers say the same. 

• Like 1

I’ve been reading these forums since Boxing Day. I wouldn’t communicate with you lot either. I goes in one ear and out the other.

They said there wouldn’t be much communication. 
They have given you a picture explaining the road map. 
But yet here you are with your head up your arse unknowing of what’s going on. 
The Patch that is dropping soon is Phase 1. 

I repeat the patch that is dropping soon is Phase 1. 

Xbox users like this and Ark because there is no other game like it. The lag how ever whilst in built up bases is diafuckingbolical!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voromja said:

The Patch that is dropping soon is Phase 1. 

I repeat the patch that is dropping soon is Phase 1. 

What?

According to the patch notes we've seen so far, this patch reduces the top level from 150 to 120.

Phase 1 according to the roadmap:

Just a few of the changes and fixes (both small and big) we’re planning to make:

Fixing speed sails and increasing overall wind speed effectiveness.

Adjustments to blueprint stat rolls and crafting requirements.

Making improvements to logs for companies.

Increasing max stack sizes for certain items.

Removing the negative effects of status effects, including vitamins.

Giving players the option to choose which Kraken to fight.

Reducing the frequency of surface attacks by sharks.

Increasing the treasure map spoil time.

Cargo Container adjustments.

Replacing the text in the game with a universal font style.

Hiding more text behind the “Extended UI” function

Making ladders easier to climb.

Keep in mind that some of these items are things we want to address quickly, even if we consider them to just be temporary fixes for now. The changes in this phase will provide a much better experience in the present; however, we’ll be circling back to these areas in later phases to make much more extensive changes to these systems. 

One example of this would be “sailing.” We’ll make some early improvements to sailing during Phase 1 (such as fixing speed sails and increasing overall wind speed) and then we’ll loop back to sailing during Phase 2 for a more thorough pass on sailing functionality. 

Some more examples like this include:

Tames and breeding will get a general balance pass, then we’ll do a larger update on tames and creatures in Phase 4.

Blueprint scaling will get some early adjustments in Phase 1, then we’ll address it some more in Phases 2 and 3.

Temporary fixes for certain combat meta pain points (until they can be further ironed out in Phase 3) such as: stat scaling, torpor, NPC swivels, harpoons gliders.

So, no.  Reducing the max level is not phase 1.  There has been no real communication from the developers since Oct., when they communicated that they wouldn't be communicating.   If you're a PC player on official servers, the last real communication for anything having to do with your game was in August.  One of the last communications to those players was that they were going to be getting wiped to enable all the changes they were making for the other players.    The situation is not quite as you've described it.

2 hours ago, Percieval said:

? I’m saying pretty much every game developer with large servers say the same. 

Yes, people say things, but thats not proving a point about player numbers. I think I saw a post about the devs thinking about reducing the number of regions due to the number of players, as Atlas was designed with more than 6k players in mind. I think Enki was talking about the potential amount of players for the game. Not talking about what other game devs besides atlas are doing.

Even though I love the game, and I've read the roadmap and understand the timing etc. The fact is they are not adding/improving atlas fast enough to keep it's player base. My worry is that by the time the content reaches a good lastable level, another mmo will have been released and most of our player base will have left. This is not an industry that is soft on games developers.

Edited by Whitehawk

6 hours ago, eeeceee said:

Yes, people say things, but thats not proving a point about player numbers. I think I saw a post about the devs thinking about reducing the number of regions due to the number of players, as Atlas was designed with more than 6k players in mind. I think Enki was talking about the potential amount of players for the game. Not talking about what other game devs besides atlas are doing.

What? I think there’s a misunderstanding here. I’m saying pretty much every game dev says like; “every server can hold 1000 players” although only 200 players are on them max. And yes they can hold 1000 but then it almost breaks and is completely unplayable. Even though the 1K is still factual correct. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Percieval said:

What? I think there’s a misunderstanding here. I’m saying pretty much every game dev says like; “every server can hold 1000 players” although only 200 players are on them max. And yes they can hold 1000 but then it almost breaks and is completely unplayable. Even though the 1K is still factual correct. 

thats nice but the current servers cant even hold 50 

Edited by FrotsyMan

59 minutes ago, FrotsyMan said:

thats nice but the current servers cant even hold 50 

You on xbox or some shit rig then? Because I’m in a 50 player server most of the time last few weeks and I don’t have any problems (apart from lag because of loading huge bases) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

What?

According to the patch notes we've seen so far, this patch reduces the top level from 150 to 120.

Phase 1 according to the roadmap:

Just a few of the changes and fixes (both small and big) we’re planning to make:

Fixing speed sails and increasing overall wind speed effectiveness.

Adjustments to blueprint stat rolls and crafting requirements.

Making improvements to logs for companies.

Increasing max stack sizes for certain items.

Removing the negative effects of status effects, including vitamins.

Giving players the option to choose which Kraken to fight.

Reducing the frequency of surface attacks by sharks.

Increasing the treasure map spoil time.

Cargo Container adjustments.

Replacing the text in the game with a universal font style.

Hiding more text behind the “Extended UI” function

Making ladders easier to climb.

Keep in mind that some of these items are things we want to address quickly, even if we consider them to just be temporary fixes for now. The changes in this phase will provide a much better experience in the present; however, we’ll be circling back to these areas in later phases to make much more extensive changes to these systems. 

One example of this would be “sailing.” We’ll make some early improvements to sailing during Phase 1 (such as fixing speed sails and increasing overall wind speed) and then we’ll loop back to sailing during Phase 2 for a more thorough pass on sailing functionality. 

Some more examples like this include:

Tames and breeding will get a general balance pass, then we’ll do a larger update on tames and creatures in Phase 4.

Blueprint scaling will get some early adjustments in Phase 1, then we’ll address it some more in Phases 2 and 3.

Temporary fixes for certain combat meta pain points (until they can be further ironed out in Phase 3) such as: stat scaling, torpor, NPC swivels, harpoons gliders.

So, no.  Reducing the max level is not phase 1.  There has been no real communication from the developers since Oct., when they communicated that they wouldn't be communicating.   If you're a PC player on official servers, the last real communication for anything having to do with your game was in August.  One of the last communications to those players was that they were going to be getting wiped to enable all the changes they were making for the other players.    The situation is not quite as you've described it.

well this is the devs post:

"To kick off the new year, we’ll be releasing a new patch late next week for both PC and Xbox. It will feature a number of various bug fixes, QoL improvements, and balance tweaks in a similar vein as the update from this past December.

The biggest change that players will see this update is the reduction of the max player level from 150 to 120. We wanted to give the community advanced notice of this particular change since it’s a fairly large shift in how players’ characters will experience ATLAS.............. "

i would say this sounds like phase ONE (1)

QoL improvements, bugfixes and balance tweaks

you wanna know why? because it is written there.

it is not only the reduction to level 120.

and ofc we all know that not all on this phase one list will make it into this patch, but some of them will.

6 hours ago, Percieval said:

You on xbox or some shit rig then? Because I’m in a 50 player server most of the time last few weeks and I don’t have any problems (apart from lag because of loading huge bases) 

maybe out of render distance but try having more than 30 ppl in 1 area, the already has the worst collision system i seen the lag just makes it worse 

13 hours ago, Percieval said:

Where the heck did you hear that? Last I heard, they were optimistic that 200 could be on a server, although I think that is after they optimize. I would guess more like 100 in the current state, but haven't seen anyone state the actual amount on a server and it will still run smoothly.

If you do the math, they said 40,000. So 40,000 / 225, is 178. Not anywhere near 1,000.

11 hours ago, photek said:

well this is the devs post:

"To kick off the new year, we’ll be releasing a new patch late next week for both PC and Xbox. It will feature a number of various bug fixes, QoL improvements, and balance tweaks in a similar vein as the update from this past December.

The biggest change that players will see this update is the reduction of the max player level from 150 to 120. We wanted to give the community advanced notice of this particular change since it’s a fairly large shift in how players’ characters will experience ATLAS.............. "

i would say this sounds like phase ONE (1)

QoL improvements, bugfixes and balance tweaks

you wanna know why? because it is written there.

it is not only the reduction to level 120.

and ofc we all know that not all on this phase one list will make it into this patch, but some of them will.

They've already called a delay without specifying anything else in it, but yeah, I assumed there would be something else in there.  I do think anyone who imagines phase 1 to be contained in one patch is nuts though.  They've implied a "process".  It's a long time to wait for anything in the game to change.

8 hours ago, wildbill said:

Where the heck did you hear that? Last I heard, they were optimistic that 200 could be on a server, although I think that is after they optimize. I would guess more like 100 in the current state, but haven't seen anyone state the actual amount on a server and it will still run smoothly.

If you do the math, they said 40,000. So 40,000 / 225, is 178. Not anywhere near 1,000.

Where did I say the atlas servers can hold 1000 players? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Percieval said:

Where did I say the atlas servers can hold 1000 players? 

You said:

Sounds like you are saying "every server can hold 1000 players".

This could be that the way Atlas uses the word "server" is very confusing. Each grid on the official server network is a server. But also they say the North American server, which consists of 225 grids (servers) is also a server. So which were you referring to?

I remember on pc eu pve in d7 once when we used to get around 58 players on at the same time and the lag was insane,  and once we went up to 71 players and I couldn't even move. But a lot of the bases were peppered with ships and shipyards at the time and some people just kept building bases all over the island. One company had over 4 large bases on one part of my island. So even though the lag would have been bad by the amount of players alone, the buildings and ships etc made it a lot worse.

49 minutes ago, wildbill said:

You said:

Sounds like you are saying "every server can hold 1000 players".

This could be that the way Atlas uses the word "server" is very confusing. Each grid on the official server network is a server. But also they say the North American server, which consists of 225 grids (servers) is also a server. So which were you referring to?

I wasn’t even talking about atlas specific? It were just numbers for the example. 

• Like 1