Sign in to follow this  
RyuujinZERO

Dealing with land squatters?

Long ago a we beat a larger company to a claim on a tropical island, and before they left they built a bunch of foundations and beds.

The foundations were fairly substantial in scope and scale (having the appearance of legit foundations for future construction), and built after the claim had failed for them, so we assumed they planned to build there, and, not being jerks, we didn't use our 24 hour demolish grace window on the structures, in case they wanted to move in anyway. But a week later, they hadn't returned, and still hadn't built up. So we kept an eye on the decay demolish timer and waitted for it to expire so we could clear it out and use that land ourselves.

But a day before the timer expired, they re-appeared from the beds, refreshed the timers, and left once more. 

This has been proving to be a cycle, every 9 days, they teleport back to the island, refresh the timers on their foundation spam, check to see if our flag has expired (It's paid up for like the next 2 months, so no), and leave once again. It's rather evident they are trying to wait us out of owning the island and the foundation spam is to lock down the land they want to build on, when or if we ever stop playing and get to claim the island (Which is unlikely for the foreseeable future)

Is there another means by which a land owner can remove someone else's structures, besides the 24 hour grace window after a settler first moves in, and the extremely generous 10+ day decay timer that is refreshed just by teleporting and back out?

(We welcome the idea of having settlers on our island, free stuff from bonus taxes and reduced upkeep costs are always welcome. But our island isn't very big, and they're occupying a lot of prime space other players could be building on, not to mention another of their foundations is blocking one of the few metal patches on the island)

Edited by RyuujinZERO
  • Like 2

i have the same problem on my island with shipyards storage lockers and lighthouse that is never lit timer goes down to 13hrs then bck up been like this for over a month same compamy who was here b4 i claimed it i idid ask if they would light the lighhouse and remove the shipyards that u cant reach ie being in the middle of nowere and i was told via chat we aint moving shi@ reported them for underwater large gates and the other obstuctions and they still here well their obstuctions are its just a waiting game who gets bored 1st and leaves tbh

1 example of many 

03-01-2020_09-50-55-2yi2hffi.png?width=8

19 hours ago, RyuujinZERO said:

Long ago a we beat a larger company to a claim on a tropical island, and before they left they built a bunch of foundations and beds.

The foundations were fairly substantial in scope and scale (having the appearance of legit foundations for future construction), and built after the claim had failed for them, so we assumed they planned to build there, and, not being jerks, we didn't use our 24 hour demolish grace window on the structures, in case they wanted to move in anyway. But a week later, they hadn't returned, and still hadn't built up. So we kept an eye on the decay demolish timer and waitted for it to expire so we could clear it out and use that land ourselves.

But a day before the timer expired, they re-appeared from the beds, refreshed the timers, and left once more. 

This has been proving to be a cycle, every 9 days, they teleport back to the island, refresh the timers on their foundation spam, check to see if our flag has expired (It's paid up for like the next 2 months, so no), and leave once again. It's rather evident they are trying to wait us out of owning the island and the foundation spam is to lock down the land they want to build on, when or if we ever stop playing and get to claim the island (Which is unlikely for the foreseeable future)

Is there another means by which a land owner can remove someone else's structures, besides the 24 hour grace window after a settler first moves in, and the extremely generous 10+ day decay timer that is refreshed just by teleporting and back out?

(We welcome the idea of having settlers on our island, free stuff from bonus taxes and reduced upkeep costs are always welcome. But our island isn't very big, and they're occupying a lot of prime space other players could be building on, not to mention another of their foundations is blocking one of the few metal patches on the island)

1. Its your mistake that you failed to demo their structures within 24hr window, you thought they placed the foundations for settling there(NOPE), this is usually the case when someone can't claim island then they just spam it, I've seen this happening multiple times.
2. Flag decays in 10 days of inactivity even if it has a million gold.
3. You are stuck with those foundations until (a) they give up, (b) you leave the game, (c) some admin takes care of that(which seems unlikely now as we haven't heard from devs for a while now)
There is no other way to get rid of structures except decaying. You'll have to live with the spammed foundations or submit a ticket in case an admin thinks of dealing with it. 🙂

There's also some sort of bug with the 24hr demo timer.  I patrol my island every day because people keep putting a damn bed on a thatch foundation all over the place.  I'm finding them, but often the foundation will still be in the 24 hr. window but the bed will not.  How does that happen?  It won't let you demo the foundation because the bed is not in the window.  Guess I'll try opening a bug report on it and seeing if I can get anyone to come get rid of them, but it's pissing me off.

21 hours ago, RyuujinZERO said:

Yeah seems you are just going to have to bite the bullet on that one! With the future plans of Atlas i dont think they worry too much about that stuff due the fact they are going to change it where you spend more time at sea than land anyways. We have tons of boats just sitting around our island. They are people that came to claim the island but we beat them too it. So they just abandon the boats. 

16 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

There's also some sort of bug with the 24hr demo timer.  I patrol my island every day because people keep putting a damn bed on a thatch foundation all over the place.  I'm finding them, but often the foundation will still be in the 24 hr. window but the bed will not.  How does that happen?  It won't let you demo the foundation because the bed is not in the window.  Guess I'll try opening a bug report on it and seeing if I can get anyone to come get rid of them, but it's pissing me off.

You missed the 24 hour window to remove the foundation. Known display bug. The single foundation timer is still counting down to 12 hours, so displays that it can be demoed. However the structure on top of it, bed, smithy, loom, whatever that has the 10 day timer is what you go off of. Everything poofs at 10 days, so if you have a tannery that says 40, have no fear, at 10 days of them not coming back to refresh it, bye bye. But, if they keep coming back, currently you are SOoL.

Edited by UnknownSystemError

7 hours ago, UnknownSystemError said:

You missed the 24 hour window to remove the foundation. Known display bug. The single foundation timer is still counting down to 12 hours, so displays that it can be demoed. However the structure on top of it, bed, smithy, loom, whatever that has the 10 day timer is what you go off of. Everything poofs at 10 days, so if you have a tannery that says 40, have no fear, at 10 days of them not coming back to refresh it, bye bye. But, if they keep coming back, currently you are SOoL.

I didn't miss it.  The timer's borked.  Possibly the company settler notification is also borked as well, although those have never been that helpful to begin with.  If the beds appear less than 24 hours after you've checked for them the last time, they can't possibly be outside the demo window.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 11:10 AM, Vegetto said:

1. Its your mistake that you failed to demo their structures within 24hr window, you thought they placed the foundations for settling there(NOPE), this is usually the case when someone can't claim island then they just spam it, I've seen this happening multiple times.

It is most definitely the mistake of the game for even allowing this kind of behavior.

On 1/18/2020 at 11:10 AM, Vegetto said:

3. You are stuck with those foundations until (a) they give up, (b) you leave the game, (c) some admin takes care of that(which seems unlikely now as we haven't heard from devs for a while now)
There is no other way to get rid of structures except decaying. You'll have to live with the spammed foundations or submit a ticket in case an admin thinks of dealing with it. 🙂

Having such a braindead system in place to handle these issues is NOT OKAY, no matter how much certain individuals (read: YOU) get to profit from it.

I wonder if this would fix your problem. I've never bothered with the capping thing. There may be other issues I'm not aware of.

Have someone leave your company. Allow them to cap your island. Cap it back. Destroy all problem objects over the next 24 hours. Invite your buddy back to your company.

once a structure is placed the owners have 24 hours to delete it, new owners of an island don't get the option to demolish structures if they have been there already (so having the claim change owners won't help)

I thought putting approximately 12k into the flag after a certain time wiped the entire island of all structures, including your own. I think the only thing exempt from this is fully anchored ships. I think the time scale is 6 days. 

On 1/21/2020 at 3:33 PM, blitzed909 said:

once a structure is placed the owners have 24 hours to delete it, new owners of an island don't get the option to demolish structures if they have been there already (so having the claim change owners won't help)

oh thats good know. i own an island but i am solo player and i dont wanna pay for it anymore (i have the gold but its a waste really) so if i let the flag run out of gold and whoever takes the land cant destroy my already built base right?