Dragon RedDawn

WIND FIX — ALTERNATING WIND DIRECTIONS

We have all been there — you traveled across the map with the wind at your back with ease in search for treasure, but the trip home took 5x as long due to an unfavorable wind direction. 

The perfect solution is here:

Alternating wind directions! With alternating wind directions, if you’re getting bad wind — no problem. Just cruise north or south to the next server to get a wind direction more favorable.

It could work like this: When wind is eastbound on A1, wind is westbound on A2, eastbound on A3, and so forth. The wind direction could alternate with each server number (or letter). Wind direction could still change over time as it does now, but alternating wind directions would help experienced sailors get to their destinations within a reasonable time-frame and avoid the dutiful, chore-like slogs of sailing for long periods of time against the wind.

What do you think? Please share your ideas and like this comment if you would like to see alternating wind directions implemented.

Edited by Dragon RedDawn
Heading changes

I feel its okay. I feel they make you learn how to properly sail. With winds blowing in bad was you should "Tack" sail. yeah you lose some time but not whole lot.

4 hours ago, NoTown said:

I feel its okay. I feel they make you learn how to properly sail. With winds blowing in bad was you should "Tack" sail. yeah you lose some time but not whole lot.

I don't think the topic is about sailing properly. Tacking is not a quick way to get somewhere. It is slow for two reasons. If your desired direction and the wind direction is exactly coming from that direction, you will take twice as long at least to get there. Also you lose speed on a tack, because it is faster sailing when not at an angle to the wind.

The topic is about a suggestion of how to get where you are going faster. This one is a good one, but there have been many others. Apparently a lot of people want to spend less time going to their destination and more time at their destination.

8 hours ago, wildbill said:

I don't think the topic is about sailing properly. Tacking is not a quick way to get somewhere. It is slow for two reasons. If your desired direction and the wind direction is exactly coming from that direction, you will take twice as long at least to get there. Also you lose speed on a tack, because it is faster sailing when not at an angle to the wind.

The topic is about a suggestion of how to get where you are going faster. This one is a good one, but there have been many others. Apparently a lot of people want to spend less time going to their destination and more time at their destination.

i can see where you are coming from but then there are a bunch of players like myself that like the realistic aspect of the game forcing you to have to do different methods of sailing in order to get to your destination. I believe that was the intent in the game too. After all its  a survivor mmo. You want its quick and easy it seems. If sailing was like that everyone would be at end game content in matter of days/weeks. I felt a good method instead of "Fixing the wind" is adding boat feats. For instance "ignore wind feat" where your boat ignores all wind for 30 seconds or something.  Then again there is different types of players who see games differently. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NoTown said:

i can see where you are coming from but then there are a bunch of players like myself that like the realistic aspect of the game forcing you to have to do different methods of sailing in order to get to your destination. I believe that was the intent in the game too. After all its  a survivor mmo. You want its quick and easy it seems. If sailing was like that everyone would be at end game content in matter of days/weeks. I felt a good method instead of "Fixing the wind" is adding boat feats. For instance "ignore wind feat" where your boat ignores all wind for 30 seconds or something.  Then again there is different types of players who see games differently. 

Sure, a lot of people play this game for the sailing, although that is not the focus, nor I think what the majority of people want. The game had more realistic sailing originally. It sucked, and a lot of players complained. The devs listened and made it easier. They added a bit more speed in reverse and forward progress straight into the wind. I've actually owned a few sailboats and like sailing, but this is game, and not even remotely a good sailing simulator, so personally I like the sailing about how it is, but would just like to spend less time doing it, because honestly it isn't that interesting. Hopefully in Phase II the the road map, they would add stuff to make it more fun to be out on your ship. I might change my mind then, but right now, I'm just wanting to get somewhere to do something that is more interesting.

Wind in a game rotates clockwise. It rise and cut it strength from calm to strong and back. I would say it's global, but when you change from O to A - you get about half cycle back (by that I mean if you just got from calm to average wind, you'll find it calm again).

When it's storm, wind rise it strength to hurricane and speed up clockwise rotation. After hurricane ends - it rotates back to where it was before hurricane. 

Pretty simple, predictable and boring. You start your journey - you can plan it so you travel with boardside wind, do some stuff in some island, and go back with boardside wind again.

But when it counterwind - your sailing will turn torture. Especially when you get there, and while doing some business it rotates, and you back counterwind again.

If you go half atlas with loaded ship you'll get everyting. Strong/calm, tailwind/headwind.

m4jHv3D.jpg

I would change it, so most of the time it would blow average (providing us full speed) and occasionally go to hurricane state (damaging full sails) or calm. And I would make it blow just one direction and from time to time change it for reasonable angle (slight changes more often than big ones).

On 1/16/2020 at 12:06 PM, George Catcher said:

Wind in a game rotates clockwise. It rise and cut it strength from calm to strong and back. I would say it's global, but when you change from O to A - you get about half cycle back (by that I mean if you just got from calm to average wind, you'll find it calm again).

When it's storm, wind rise it strength to hurricane and speed up clockwise rotation. After hurricane ends - it rotates back to where it was before hurricane. 

Pretty simple, predictable and boring. You start your journey - you can plan it so you travel with boardside wind, do some stuff in some island, and go back with boardside wind again.

But when it counterwind - your sailing will turn torture. Especially when you get there, and while doing some business it rotates, and you back counterwind again.

If you go half atlas with loaded ship you'll get everyting. Strong/calm, tailwind/headwind.

m4jHv3D.jpg

I would change it, so most of the time it would blow average (providing us full speed) and occasionally go to hurricane state (damaging full sails) or calm. And I would make it blow just one direction and from time to time change it for reasonable angle (slight changes more often than big ones).

Nice illustration and good observing, but also completly wrong. The strongest wind is north or south wind, east and west is slow.
The better route would be trough polar also 🙂
And bc of your otherwise valid observations, it make no sence to go that slow. you should try to make this trip in one strong wind cycle, which means about 1h30m, so dont load that heavy 🙂

6 hours ago, Kummba said:

Nice illustration and good observing, but also completly wrong. The strongest wind is north or south wind, east and west is slow.
The better route would be trough polar also 🙂
And bc of your otherwise valid observations, it make no sence to go that slow. you should try to make this trip in one strong wind cycle, which means about 1h30m, so dont load that heavy 🙂

This is correct. The wind is a repeating cycle. Strong wind blowing north starts to slow as it gets nearer to east. Once passing east it picks up speed as it gets nearer to south. Strong wind blowing south starts to slow as it gets nearer to west. Once passing west it picks up speed as it gets nearer to north. Storms over-ride the wind cycle.

And yes, sometimes you don't want to spend your gaming time... getting there.

It is widely understood that the vast majority of players prefer easy convenient gameplay the moment they feel the desire. This is perfectly fine and the vast majority of the market serve those desires. But please do not forget about the smaller contingent. We deserve to be served by the market as well, so please leave our games alone. We have a hard enough time finding ones built for us without them constantly being changed to serve a different Market.

And please understand I'm not being rude here, I understand tastes differ and my preferences are not Universal. But I need to point out that having a game crafted for a different Market isn't bad. But having a game changed from one market to another is. Imagine the amount of work we would all lose if the Gathering rate in Ark were suddenly cut to 1/3.

Edited by Califax

The trouble is no game company will ever survive just catering for the 'smaller contingent'. Unfortunately cash is king.

On 1/13/2020 at 5:18 PM, Dragon RedDawn said:

We have all been there — you traveled across the map with the wind at your back with ease in search for treasure, but the trip home took 5x as long due to an unfavorable wind direction. 

The perfect solution is here:

Alternating wind directions! With alternating wind directions, if you’re getting bad wind — no problem. Just cruise north or south to the next server to get a wind direction more favorable.

It could work like this: When wind is eastbound on A1, wind is westbound on A2, eastbound on A3, and so forth. The wind direction could alternate with each server number (or letter). Wind direction could still change over time as it does now, but alternating wind directions would help experienced sailors get to their destinations within a reasonable time-frame and avoid the dutiful, chore-like slogs of sailing for long periods of time against the wind.

What do you think? Please share your ideas and like this comment if you would like to see alternating wind directions implemented.

there is something called currents in  black desert online, they work like this:

as you can see you can almost always have positive currents if you take the right route, i guess thats to complex for ATLAS devs

On 1/24/2020 at 12:34 PM, Whitehawk said:

The trouble is no game company will ever survive just catering for the 'smaller contingent'. Unfortunately cash is king.

Definitely not true. Many do eventually cash in on their popularity and cater to the majority but quite a few drop amazing games (to us) before selling their souls, and many never steal the game from us they just move on (Fallout, HoMM, others).

Elite Dangerous is active. Ark is pretty hardcore. The X series (Egosoft). E.t.c.

Plus plenty of studios survive perfectly fine on the smaller market.

5 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

there is something called currents in  black desert online, they work like this:

as you can see you can almost always have positive currents if you take the right route, i guess thats to complex for ATLAS devs

Wouldnt that make everything extremely predictable? That's disastrous in PVP games.

16 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

I dont know about dimentions, but i dont see what you see. And as a pirate you just wait at hotspots where people have to go through to get into a fight.
Also i see alot of areas where the wind will confuse the sailer alot.
Also a full map of low wind 🙂

13 minutes ago, Kummba said:

I dont know about dimentions, but i dont see what you see. And as a pirate you just wait at hotspots where people have to go through to get into a fight.
Also i see alot of areas where the wind will confuse the sailer alot.
Also a full map of low wind 🙂

- this map is only an example

- you play a pirate game but you dont want to get in a fight? then play the pve servers perhaps?

- that map has been made by the community, in reality you cannot see those currents just as in atlas you cannot see wind arrows in the map

- this map is the current's map not wind's map, black desert has both winds and currents

- what part of an arrow is confusing? lol

-what you see is not low winds but low currents, you still have to add the wind, as a result if you are against the current but you have positive wind you can still move nicely, if you are against wind but with positive current you can just fold your sails and move nicely again, if you have both against you then you simply change your route and if you have both, positive wind and positive current you move rly fast.

in other words you have a solution for every possible situation you find, unlike atlas in wich if you have wind against you....well....better luck next time. 🙂

Edited by The D Legacy

Ok current. And i am PVE, but if there is a eye of a needle you can not avoid, it will be a hotspot of saltyness.
Still people are willing to have an additional system on top, which requires third party tools?

Maybe start understanding the simple wind system in this game first?

The trouble is in atlas being a sailing ship game, you have to have a wind system that's plausible. If they got rid of the 'current' system completely then we might as well have ships with engines instead of sails anyway. I always build my ships now with at least one handling sail , that way I still get some movement even when the wind directions totally against me.