Sign in to follow this  
Shadex

2x2 Grid Server

My community is looking to put up a 2x2 grid server and I was hoping someone could help with a question about biomes and mythos. How do you know what islands will be represented in each grid? Will there be a distribution of biomes and will Mythos islands even appear on this size grid? For that matter since there are no huge open sea areas does that mean that the sea boss fights cannot be done? We loved our dedicated ARK server for years now but the thought of having to shell out hundreds of dollars a month just to host the real Atlas map is just too much. Hope we can find a solution to this. Thank you everyone for your help.

>How do you know what islands will be represented in each grid?

You choose what's in the grids, there's a git repo with a tool to create the maps and place islands.

>For that matter since there are no huge open sea areas does that mean that the sea boss fights cannot be done?

You have to setup a grid that includes the boss spawner.

If you host you own servers, you could setup the 15x15 grid and then start and stop the grids as needed. You could also build a smaller grid with all the content you need. I'm setting up a 5x5 for my group and I think it's got all the end game content except for the ice dungeons. If we get that far I'll nuke one of the grids and add it.

On 1/8/2020 at 1:31 PM, MeatShield said:

>How do you know what islands will be represented in each grid?

You choose what's in the grids, there's a git repo with a tool to create the maps and place islands.

>For that matter since there are no huge open sea areas does that mean that the sea boss fights cannot be done?

You have to setup a grid that includes the boss spawner.

If you host you own servers, you could setup the 15x15 grid and then start and stop the grids as needed. You could also build a smaller grid with all the content you need. I'm setting up a 5x5 for my group and I think it's got all the end game content except for the ice dungeons. If we get that far I'll nuke one of the grids and add it.

Thank you for the response. May I ask one more question? If we set up the 2x2 with say only a few islands, can the .json file be edited later to add more or would we have to wipe the server and start all over to add more content later? Thank you so much for your help.

25 minutes ago, Shadex said:

Thank you for the response. May I ask one more question? If we set up the 2x2 with say only a few islands, can the .json file be edited later to add more or would we have to wipe the server and start all over to add more content later? Thank you so much for your help.

I have not tried it but I do believe it is possible. You would want leave the grid and take everything you want with you. Then shut everything off, backup everything including the redis database. Swap the json and delete the saved games for the grid. Don't forget to add the new map pictures.