BurgsideTiger

Let's talk about this wind

I want to preface by saying: I am not looking for some kind of unlimited, non-challenge, unchanging wind meta. Overall, wind adds a level of complexity to ship pvp and such . . and i absolutely do not want to see that go away. 

Now . . . . . WTF is the point in having such slow wind, that a large speed sail underweight brig or gally doesn't go more than 6-8 knots  *****FOR HOURS AT A TIME*****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????

I can understand not having top tier wind that makes sailing so easy that you can get from tile to tile in no time flat. But how in the world do you expect players to stay engaged in a sailing game, when there are such long periods of time that sailing is (at times) the most boring aspect of the game???? Didn't I see a prior post where Grapeshot listed a pie chart showing where they wanted people to actually be spending most of their time? DIDN'T I SEE THAT SAILING WAS ONE OF THOSE KEY METRICS?!?!!? Is this GS' way of accomplishing that goal? 

Current Case Study: I have been logged into NA PVP server for the last 2 hours. Logged in with the worst wind roll you can get. So I thought . . . . well, I'll re-outfit my brig and wait for the wind to change. IT WAS 2 AND A HALF HOURS AGO!!! The wind is JUST NOW starting to change strength. 

I completely understand the slow wind metric. I do not agree with or understand why Grapeshot would allow the wind to stay consistently bad for over 2 hours. Maybe have the wind re-roll every 20 mins? This needs addressed among the 100's of other aspects of the game that are 'ALMOST THERE' but you stopped working on because . . . Ark. 

• Like 2

I don’t care about the slow wind. Needing to sail 5 tiles to the north and the wind stays dead south during the whole trip is what gets me frustrated sometimes. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Our company  has studied the wind . The wind changes with variable weather. When its foggy the wind tends to change directions slowly. When it rains or storms wind is all over the place..little key features such as  temperature  will tell you what's the come next. Knowing your weather  you will know the wind.

My galleon goes 22 knots with full wind on sails, 1 handling sail in the back, 4 speed sails in middle, and 1 handling sail in front. Even when I have no wind whatsoever I’m still going around 12-13 knots depending how much weight I have stocked on the ship.

It does seem that people at least agree sometimes it is hard to get where you are going and most people want to get there faster. They make a faster ship or just pick something else to do when the wind is not favorable. There is a 90 degree arc you can not travel in at a decent speed depending on the wind direction. That is 1/4 of the directions you might want to go. You can tack, but then it takes twice as long. I'm currently playing with some modded ships that are a bit faster and I like it better.

hitting a dead wind and potentially starving to death is an amazing game mechanic, but not every day. maybe once a real time month. 

same with the hot / cold snaps. great idea with poor implementation. 

these folks are so close to a gem. im still cheering for them, like we cheer for that one buddy that can never quite get laid.

please take atlas out of the perpetual friend zone!

Wind rotate it's direction clockwise. It raises and cut it strength from full to calm and back.

That's how it works. Pretty simple.

With half atlas travel by well loaded ship you will anyway hit counterwind and calm. You just pray so it won't be together, or your journey may lasts 1-2 extra hours. Something must be done with it. My idea was - wind should most of time blow average strength provide us full speed. Rarely it should raise to hurricane (damaging full sails and planks) and rarely drop to calm state with fogs. It should blow just one direction and from time to time change for reasonable angle (slight changes more often than heavy ones).

On 1/8/2020 at 6:32 AM, BurgsideTiger said:

Didn't I see a prior post where Grapeshot listed a pie chart showing where they wanted people to actually be spending most of their time? DIDN'T I SEE THAT SAILING WAS ONE OF THOSE KEY METRICS?!?!!? Is this GS' way of accomplishing that goal? 

you discovered it, now they have to kill you!! 😂

no, rly, that way of accomplishing objectives would be so "grapeshot-ish" ROFL

Edited by The D Legacy

On 1/8/2020 at 5:20 PM, unseengiant said:

Our company  has studied the wind . When it rains or storms wind is all over the place..

your company had to study the weather to reach that conclusion? 😅

now seriously that fixes nothing mate, what are you gonna do when you "predict" you are gonna have wind against you for 6 real life time hrs?

On 1/8/2020 at 10:03 PM, MOTIK said:

hitting a dead wind and potentially starving to death is an amazing game mechanic, but not every day. maybe once a real time month. 

same with the hot / cold snaps. great idea with poor implementation. 

these folks are so close to a gem. im still cheering for them, like we cheer for that one buddy that can never quite get laid.

please take atlas out of the perpetual friend zone!

ATLAS will die virgin then 😂

Edited by The D Legacy
  • Like 1

lol, a company that studies the wind?!?! SIGN ME UP!! 

I can appreciate all of the feedback. I was only saying that having little pp wind for hours at a time . . . adds nothing to the game. just shorten the window of time before the wind changes strengths (not direction). You don't get more sea PVP when no one wants to sail for a couple hours because the wind is trash. the company that I'm in is quite large, and we end up using that time to farm. . . . . which i believe is what it says in the Atlas logo:    Atlas: Farming simulator 2020 (also some sailing). 

On 1/8/2020 at 4:03 PM, MOTIK said:

hitting a dead wind and potentially starving to death is an amazing game mechanic,

Carry a turd in your pocket. It's a 10 second reset to full. If you forgot that, swim to the bottom, it's a quick reset also.

Stop, look around to make sure it's clear, drop all your gear, die, spawn to your boat bed. Return to your long slow sailing time sink with a full stomach.

right, self respawn to feed yourself was obviously a horrible design flaw.

you are correct but, i think we all know that shouldnt be the solution in any type of "survival" game.

4 hours ago, MOTIK said:

right, self respawn to feed yourself was obviously a horrible design flaw.

you are correct but, i think we all know that shouldnt be the solution in any type of "survival" game.

Ya, respawn to level vitamins is not a good design, but neither are the vitamins.