Sign in to follow this  
Khillian MacDille

Question about claimed islands

I posted this on Reddit but figured I might get a faster response here:

So I picked this game up 4 days ago and it's filling my time a fair bit. Did a stint on a lawless isle, enough to build a real sloop, get some hide armor and metal tools, but also was raided before I got there so am looking to get out of Seadodge as quickly as possible.

What I'm wondering is...what exactly is the etiquette when it comes to building on a company's claimed land? I understand the technical stuff, like taxes and what have you, but how exactly do you let them know that you're looking for a semi-safe space to establish yourself? Do you just plop down a home and write a note on your door? Should you try contacting the company through discord first? I don't mind paying the tax rates, just don't want to go building only to have the owners "nope" me off their island after I get things established a bit.

Thanks for any info

Semi-safe is a relative term.  Most Companies do not allow Settlers on their main Island, but do, sometimes actually invite Settlers to secondary Islands they own.  These secondary Islands are usually used for the resources it offers, or simply for security, ie. not allowing possibly enemy Companies to have an Island too close to their Main Island.

Either way, simplest way is to enter a Sector, try and contact the Companies who own Island there and ask if they allow Settlers.  If they say no, leave and try another sector.  Even if they do allow Settlers, do not expect support if you are raided.  Perhaps they will aid you, perhaps not.  Most companies will want you to merge in with them, ar at least become Allied, IF, they deem you worth it.  Then there are also some Companies that will allow you to settle, let you build up a bit, then raid you themself, looting everything they can get and destroying anything they don't want, laughing at you all the time.   Be warned.

thank you for the heads up and I'll be sure to proceed cautiously.  Will definitely keep all of this information in mind when setting up a base of operations, and thankfully it's not my first rodeo when it comes to survival games