Clochard

Weather

In the absolute off-chance that a dev sees this, I want to express my utmost frustration towards your weather system, which is, at best, tedious. Let me say this again, te-di-ous.

I'm not going to talk about the excessive amount of absurd bugs (losing tames while traveling, or not agroing whales even when you hit them 100 times etc), but the rather simple fact that:

- In 1 hour of gametime, I have encountered 3 fogs, 2 (completely disgracefully designed) storms and at least 1 freezing event (almost like thick fog).

What on earth are you thinking? No, it is not a challenge. It has nothing to do with being "gud". It is just about throwing broken and badly implemented things in the game.

Also, I've played since day 1. Took a big brake after the 1st wipe, only to see the game in a worse state. Congrats I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah I agree. While on my SqotD hunting mission I experience the FOG. I just lower my sails, stopped in the middle of ocean, and went alt+tab to check my e-mails, and see some coubs. Right after FOG is gone, I started to move but after 30 second - coldwave lied on ocean. In tundra it's also lower visibility, so I again stopped and went to see some videos on youtube. Right before coldwave is gone - another FOG appeared. So I just continue through internet, went to my social medias, checked how my friends are doing.

So it took almost 30 minutes of just staying in ocean, in the middle of nowhere, and wait. Visibility has no affects to damned ships, so it just no point to sail, search and battle them. Is that a challenge? Well staying with lowered sails and checking my e-mail doesn't sound challenging for me. Is that another time waste instead of playing? Definitely.

For the last few months I was just trying to figure out - what actually DEVs wanna us to do? What game are they build? They wanna us to spend weeks waving hatchet, pick and scythe and gather thousands trees and brushes to play "the Sims" like game? They wanna us to spend weeks, taming and breeding alot of animal species, playing "happy farm?" They wanna us to run naked through the most dangerous areas instead of facing them? They wanna us to spend MONTHS in the middle of empty ocean without any purpose?

Didn't figure it out yet. But IMAO - game needs not just a wipe, but complete reload, with huge amount of things different.

• Like 1

Well, you could just say no. Sounds like the two above are playing on the official servers. I tried that and won't do it. I'm currently playing on a server that has 100x gather rates. It takes me an hour or two to make a schooner. A bit longer for a brig or even a galleon. Ya, I'm not playing the game as intended, but as it is designed it sucks. If the game ever becomes playable with vanilla settings, I might try it again at maybe 2x settings and enjoy the challenge. Right now, I'm just goofing around and having fun.

• Confused 1

The fog wouldn't be so bad if it had even a fragment of realism, on the xbox it's like the screen just gets painted white till it's over. It's a good job I use the sextant.

43 minutes ago, Whitehawk said:

The fog wouldn't be so bad if it had even a fragment of realism, on the xbox it's like the screen just gets painted white till it's over. It's a good job I use the sextant.

What I don't get is why a game would hide all the nice features of the sextant buff behind a mini-game. If those features were available all of the time, the game would be significantly improved. As it is, I seldom have had enough extra skills to put into the sextant, so even after playing the game for over 500 hours, have never learned it. Now that I read what it can do, I'm thinking I should try it, although I find all of the mini-games extremely annoying and avoid them if at all possible. Possibly this one won't seem like a waste of time.

The sextant mini game is pretty easy tbh, you just have to follow one star to the next, Although it's a  good idea to have a clear view of the sky, it makes it easier.. I also don't mind the fishing mini game as you actually get stuff worth the effort most times.

When I start up a game of [Insert Hard Game Here] and encounter a tricky jump that requires pixel level Precision, I put the controller down. I recognize that I have played a game that doesn't fit my interests.

Now imagine if instead I came to the forums and complained that the difficulty level I had chosen was too hard for me, BUT NEVER USED THE LOWER DIFFICULTY LEVEL.

It would seem like I was being an entitled whiny brat, right?

The developers may have made a game that you don't like, but at least acknowledge that they've made a concession to you by giving you the tools to adjust it.

And if you think living in a world with realistic phenomena that, yes, might prevent other gameplay from occurring, somehow isn't legitimate gameplay, you should just think a little more.

Changing the difficulty will not alter the points made..ie fog etc.( as we are talking about the weather system), not how tough the game is. Next point is, Who the hell are you? If someone buys and plays the game they have a right to an opinion on the mechanics and gameplay, be it good or bad, and the op certainly wasn't as toxic in their criticisms as  you were in your reply.

3 hours ago, Whitehawk said:

Changing the difficulty will not alter the points made..ie fog etc.( as we are talking about the weather system), not how tough the game is. Next point is, Who the hell are you? If someone buys and plays the game they have a right to an opinion on the mechanics and gameplay, be it good or bad, and the op certainly wasn't as toxic in their criticisms as  you were in your reply.

Actually I think he was as toxic just in a different way.

My point about difficulty was an analogy, in which difficulty was analogous to preferred gameplay. I can rephrase if needed.

I agree that we are all entitled to an opinion on the game. But using one's personal opinion to pass judgment on the design of the game is a ubiquitous fallacy and I enjoy pointing it out.

It is extremely important that people understand that when an artist uses a color they don't like in their painting, the artist was not wrong, the design was not poor.