Talono

One basic sloop with one cannon meta...

This game has really become a joke. To raid anyone anywhere you need just one sloop with one cannon.

Pew Pew and bye bye mythical galleon.

It does not matter if you raid in lawless or on a claim island, a few shots and blubb blubb enemy galleons.

On the other hand defence is just a joke, you can build whatever artillery tower you want. For sure a chinese swarm fleet is coming, 30 chinese bears (Panda ?) are coming.. byebye artillery tower, superfortress, whatever.

Suvival on land is possible, but not through strength nor raw power, the snesky hidden way is successful.

Unfortunately this is not working for ships, you can not hide them, stone garage is not even one galleon volley, scouts search the beaches, chinese swarm fleet is coming... bye bye your ships.

Really stupid, i would like to build something bigger than a sloop, but this is pointless, as all built ships will 100% be offline sunk the next night.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/30/2019 at 1:56 PM, Sheepshooter said:

Do as everyone else and keep your ships parked in Freeport...

Basically a good idea but my test sloop was sunk in the morning although i had 140% in sturdyness.

Other parked ships in the freeport seem to have survived the night.

Any tipps for prolongation of the freeport decay process ?

The "secret" to anchoring in a Feeeport is to frequently log in and repair the planks.  No other option.

The more HP on planks, the longer they will last before starting to leak.

I do not play any more on the pvp, our last ship got taken down by somebody who did not even wanted to take it down, but according to him it was auto fire

:P but we leveled resistance on our ships, like 300%, and they could stay one day there without repairing. then i found out 2 days ago, if you put a npc on the boat, and have enough materials in the chest, they keep the ship repaired att all times. i did not tried that in a freeport i have to say.

On 1/4/2020 at 8:59 PM, Talono said:

140% in sturdyness

So it took 40% longer for it to sink after 9hrs...

You have to level resistance...

Ship planks take damage that destroyes them fully after 12 hrs... higher res lowers that damage taken...

Remember that planks leak at 25% health, so your ship is sinking after 9 hr base time...

At 300% it floats over one day... at 396% 1,5days...

Repair mats required are one full set off planks of the ship every 20 days at full res... think about it... only having to build a new ship every 20 days... not daily... and keeping all the levels and bp items on it... if you are up for the farming, you could have a gally if you can refarm it every 20 days...

So much more fun to only loose ships while actually sailing them...

No lost murdered tames... no big base to maintain that does not work to defend anyway... and having not one “save“ harbor... but every freeport...

But make sure you repair all planks and not miss one...

And crew do not repair in freeport...

Edited by Sheepshooter

Ah, yes. The biggest fail of Atlas to date sadly. The one thing you need is a boat, and it's the hardest thing to keep alive and build.

I've said for a long time now. The #1 thing this game needs is for ships to be exempt from taking or dealing dmg while anchored. 

Thanks for the hints, so i have to level up resistance instead of sturdyness ?

Do quality planks matter ? (Green or blue)

You are absolutely right, every idiot can offline sink your galleon with a sloop 24/7 in lawless.... or 9/7 in claim territory.

You are also right that bases are not safe, i had a superfortress with 100 NPC, puckles and cannons... not even 10 minutes for a bypassing chinese swarm fleet.

19 hours ago, Chucksteak said:

The #1 thing this game needs is for ships to be exempt from taking or dealing dmg while anchored. 

I would not say that in PVP ships should be exempt from damage while anchored.
I recommended multiple rules (it is still a game) to keep not only ships "safer".

Like a claim gives full protection but for the flag area, so every ship and settler is safe on a claimed island until it falls - would also help with the harbor and settler structure count, as there would only be need for one fortress... unfortunately they would have to finally FIX defensive PVP, as it does not work while "offline"...

Other option for ships is to make them way more 'unsinkable'... it is very hard to sink a sail ship with just cannonballs above the waterline... usually a fire destroys the ship... the cannons prime target and use was to kill the crew, so the ship cannot work anymore... under that idea the defender has a choice if his ship gets sunk or he just looses resources...

13 hours ago, Talono said:

so i have to level up resistance instead of sturdyness ?

Do quality planks matter ?

You are absolutely right, every idiot can offline sink your galleon with a sloop 24/7 in lawless.... or 9/7 in claim territory.

You are also right that bases are not safe, i had a superfortress with 100 NPC, puckles and cannons... not even 10 minutes for a bypassing chinese swarm fleet.

- yes, strudyness only prolongs the sinking... so it takes a few minutes more for it to sink when the planks leak while you are offline for a few more hours...
resistance is the way to go...

- not sure, not tested on official yet... depends on when the damage factor is calculated for the 12hour full damage or if it is fixed number for each ship type...

- have to say lawless is the biggest game killer... everyone in build up is pissed that everyone else just destroys their stuff for NO GAIN most of the time... the only gain is that the other guy has less again... and the same people will start to destroy the other peoples stuff the moment they manage to get a cannon going... so stupid...
funny enough that does not happen between island owners as such behavior is a war declaration... and as most owners are in a alliance they are even less inclined to attack anyone stupidly...
though the owners do go hunting in lawless as well - and they are in even less need to steal from the bottom dwellers in lawless, so it is just for fun = toxic...

- well bases can be safe, but not because of any NPC defense...
you have to have it cannon-tame safe = high...
you have to have it climbing protected = straight high...
you have to have it glider protected = highest point around...
then only a drake can come and drop of dudes... so you have to have NPCs for the dudes...
but you need PCs with guns for the drake and kill him ASAP...
so you are F'd if you are offline like in a war-token scenario...

although I know of a pillar so high that you can build into the upper server limit, where you die instantly = so no drake can fly above your base...
but it is a shitty spot for getting up there...

fun thing is, even if you can raid such a base, there is nothing there to raid... everything should be in an underwater FOB and you will not carry away the resources, if they are not pop-corned by the owner before that... yeah you might kill a breeding line...
that is the point, you never gain anything form any PVP in this game (if everyone is playing smart, and hiding their stuff)... you only set back the other guy...

that is why the only end goal in Atlas PVP is to get the other guy to leave the game because of you making playing for him impossible (at least in his mind = where it counts)...
that is whats  killing the game = people leave...

the second-to-last guy leaves when he realizes that all his defenses do not work at all and he has no fair chance to survive an attack...
and not only that... the attacker has basically no cost/investment in taking the defender down who invested a lot (time) just to be not "safer" at all...

and the winner - last bob standing - gets...: a dead server, dead game... welcome to Atlas single player...
this works on the ARK network where it is no problem if only one group lives on a server and kills of (for protection) any newcomer... there are more connected other servers to find a place... in Atlas the server grid is not big enough to hide away... and they will find you... and they will wipe you again 'just because'... until you leave the game...
perfect business model...

4 hours ago, Sheepshooter said:

I would not say that in PVP ships should be exempt from damage while anchored.

I've given this a lot of thought. It really is the best and easiest solution. It solves the #1 and #2 reason people quit. When you log in, your boat is still there, with some of your stuff, still there. Also, you are now free to "Sail the Atlas" as you don't have to build a new boat every time you log in. It also doesn't break anything, since you can only carry so much weight on a ship, and have a limit to how many ships you can build (adjustable by devs btw, 300 is ridiculous).

If you have a legitimate reason for not wanting this, please let me know what it is.

4 hours ago, Sheepshooter said:

- well bases can be safe, but not because of any NPC defense...
you have to have it cannon-tame safe = high...
you have to have it climbing protected = straight high...
you have to have it glider protected = highest point around...
then only a drake can come and drop of dudes... so you have to have NPCs for the dudes...
but you need PCs with guns for the drake and kill him ASAP...
so you are F'd if you are offline like in a war-token scenario...

There is no such thing as a safe base. You can be safer by building under water, but even that can be compromised fairly easily once found. Or you could build at the top of the world with immense effort to have a nigh useless base due to its location (that's only useful for mounting mortars).  The main reason is math, really, really bad math by the devs. Far to easy to blow up a wall, with an exponential increase in effort for defenders and a linear increase in effort for attackers. This should be flipped.

• Confused 1

some of your stuff, or all of your stuff, make your mind up, pls.

if you give me an invincible ship, you will be sorry :)

yep in rust it usualy cost you more to raid via c4/rockets, and you will either break even or lose most of the time, but rust is a good well thought out game and atlas is sad cash grab there is a diffrence. oh and rust has monthly/weekly wipes which brings people back for fresh servers. atlas just drags on till noone is left and eventualy the devs do a mercy wipe.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eeeceee said:

some of your stuff, or all of your stuff, make your mind up, pls.

if you give me an invincible ship, you will be sorry 🙂

Its not an invincible ship you can break the game with. It just wouldn't receive or deal dmg while anchored. Would we be sorry you would be able to log in and know you still had your ship to sail? No, because you'd still be there to play with and against. Your ship could sink at any other point of time from combat or glitches just like now.

28 minutes ago, eeeceee said:

what if some people just shouldn;t have mythical ships?

What are you talking about? No one at any point has mentioned anything about a mythical ship, just any ship in general.

I've only played a few MMO type games, so maybe someone can comment on their experience with them, but don't almost all of them have one thing in common. When you are offline, you are no longer in the game. Many don't even have the concept of bases, but if they do have a means of transport, like a ship, a spacecraft, etc., when you log out, it is not in play in the game. In some, you won't see it at all. If a spaceship, it might be docked in some starbase that is not reachable by the opposition, or some other safe place.

So to make Atlas an MMO, seems the only logical thing to do is to remove the ships from play (or at least give players that option) when you log off.

In Phase 2, one of the stated objectives is: "Exploring ways for players to store ships safely when going offline". I don't see how this can be anything other than adding an option to somehow remove damage from being taken when offline.

So it is right there from the devs, end of argument. It is going to happen.

You can't play PvP as a solo or even as 2 or 3 people, you must be in a large group to survive.

This is why I only play PvE at the moment, if they change the way PvP works so it's not just suited towards large companies then I will give it ago until then it's a no.

Waste of time building anything on PvP because you know a large group is just coming to wipe everything out, only a matter of time, you stand no chance. The game is poorly designed, should be changed towards factions and not companies so everyone in the faction can defend each other even if you are still playing solo.

I agree, fully anchored ships should be invincible, crafting stations on these ships should be non-operational.

That would prevent combat-anchoring and would prevent anchored ships from beeing used as invincible bases. So players can choose between sailing and anchoring.

Grapeshot promised us ships as „mobile bases“. This can only work if these mobile bases are safe if the owner is offline.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DannyUK said:

You can't play PvP as a solo or even as 2 or 3 people, you must be in a large group to survive. 

This is why I only play PvE at the moment, if they change the way PvP works so it's not just suited towards large companies then I will give it ago until then it's a no.

Waste of time building anything on PvP because you know a large group is just coming to wipe everything out, only a matter of time, you stand no chance. The game is poorly designed, should be changed towards factions and not companies so everyone in the faction can defend each other even if you are still playing solo.

Totally untrue. You can't play PvP solo the way YOU want. It's not hard to play as a solo - just don't have a giant fortress and expect to defend it yourself. Don't own a giant island and expect to defend it yourself. If you want to have a giant fortress on a giant island and keep it safe - keep playing PvE. That is what it's there for.

17 hours ago, Chucksteak said:

I've given this a lot of thought.

Well, that is why everyone tries to run to Freeport with their ships under attack... fully loaded ready to go ships... because they are safe from the enemy there... most dancing happens in Freeport for a reason... because everybody dances with the enemy, because there is nothing else to do in Freeport...

Think your idea through...
The attacker comes when he wants to your island... you could not preemptively attack his ships, because they where invincible... now they come to you...
And all your stuff is in your ships and there is nothing to destroy for them...
Oh you can take away their island claim... no you can't, because they don't have the island claimed or defended... because the claim is not as save as their anchored ships...
For the fun of it, the attacker gets a bunch of sloops going and corner your ships in so you cannot leave... hell they could just slap down a tiny shipyard and spam rafts and dinghy...
They bring in a land attack base-ship so they can grief you while you are running around farming or such... you cannot do anything to this spawn base, because it is anchored... will be so much fun when the naked guys run around with spears zerging your tames...
The only thing you will loose is your mythical shipyard all the time... because it is the only target available and therefore now worth destroying everytime ...
Gold will become more useless, because you do not need to waste it on claims and almost useless NPC defenses...
The only upside of your idea is that the XBobs don't have to deal with the structure lag... there will be way way way less structures...
The insider will be the way to go... if your are on the inside you can un-anchor the other guys otherwise not protected ships and sink them...

Please do understand that if there is a way to grief people will find it... just take a look at the PVE servers and what they do to each other... Atlas is so messed up that PVE is the toxic form of Atlas PVP...

10 hours ago, Myrmidon said:

Totally untrue. You can't play PvP solo the way YOU want. It's not hard to play as a solo - just don't have a giant fortress and expect to defend it yourself. Don't own a giant island and expect to defend it yourself. If you want to have a giant fortress on a giant island and keep it safe - keep playing PvE. That is what it's there for.

Who mentioned anything about a giant fortress? Or a huge island for that matter? You have a little shack and it's gone. You either haven't played PvP or you are part of a large company. Your solo doesn't exist, not in this game. Good luck with sailing as a solo after spending the time to build your ship.

21 hours ago, Chucksteak said:

I've given this a lot of thought. It really is the best and easiest solution. It solves the #1 and #2 reason people quit. When you log in, your boat is still there, with some of your stuff, still there. Also, you are now free to "Sail the Atlas" as you don't have to build a new boat every time you log in. It also doesn't break anything, since you can only carry so much weight on a ship, and have a limit to how many ships you can build (adjustable by devs btw, 300 is ridiculous).

If you have a legitimate reason for not wanting this, please let me know what it is.

That I can just anchor away when being chased. Great way to unbalance ship fights is to make them invincible immediately after being anchored. Add a 30 or 60 sec timer to it, then we’re talking. 

• Like 1

I'd say to the no damage ships when anchored suggestion...only when the ship owner or company is offline.  The issue is being offlined, so if you are anchored AND offline then it's a bit more feasible, though like another poster up above mentioned.  If someone wants to grief you they'll find ways of doing it.  It isn't just Atlas PvE which proves this, but every Survival Game's PvE servers.  Survival games don't work as PvE environments, even ones which focus heavily on PvE gameplay like F76

On 12/30/2019 at 6:46 AM, Talono said:
On 12/30/2019 at 6:46 AM, Talono said:

Pew Pew and bye bye mythical galleon.

Really stupid, i would like to build something bigger than a sloop, but this is pointless, as all built ships will 100% be offline sunk the next night.

23 hours ago, Chucksteak said:

Its not an invincible ship you can break the game with. It just wouldn't receive or deal dmg while anchored. Would we be sorry you would be able to log in and know you still had your ship to sail? No, because you'd still be there to play with and against. Your ship could sink at any other point of time from combat or glitches just like now.

What are you talking about? No one at any point has mentioned anything about a mythical ship, just any ship in general.

What are you talking about? That is invincible if it woudlt receive or deal dmg while anchored.

You are fucking crazy. I am sorry 🙂

Edited by eeeceee