Daesig

Ship sunk in freeport overnight (no holes)

My friend and me just made a ship yesterday and anchored it in a freeport at night.

When i woke up  i got the message that my schooner was sunk. I can still see it on the water (half underwater) and can see that no planks were broken... Are we not supposed to park overnight in freeports anymore? I saw plenty of other schooners and brigs parked closeby... 

Freeports and Golden Age Ruins grids have increased decay rates.
I think current estimates is about 8 hours for a fully repaired ship to sink.

The other people doing it will be repairing periodically or just not leaving them there for more than a few hours.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bluestone said:

I think current estimates is about 8 hours for a fully repaired ship to sink.

The other people doing it will be repairing periodically or just not leaving them there for more than a few hours.

The planks still had 1300/5000 durability. So I don't really know what happened.

Edited by Daesig

1 hour ago, Daesig said:

The planks still had 1300/5000 durability. So I don't really know what happened.

this is what happened:

8 hours is just a terrible idea, especially for new players. Who makes these gameplay decisions? Do they have any business acumen?

Also, what's the decay time on ships out of Freeports? There's been 2 rafts by my base (one partially blocking my dock) that have been there for over a month now. One just has a storage chest and a campfire.

21 minutes ago, Sydhart said:

8 hours is just a terrible idea, especially for new players. Who makes these gameplay decisions? Do they have any business acumen?

Also, what's the decay time on ships out of Freeports? There's been 2 rafts by my base (one partially blocking my dock) that have been there for over a month now. One just has a storage chest and a campfire.

Not nessesary a bad decision, having very little PVP / PVE seperation is bad.

Also without trawling the internet, you'll only find out about the fast decay when you loose a ship is an utter crap system, they could easily add a bit more text to the "you are above level 8" constant notice when you are in a freeport region.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Sydhart said:

During launch there were 30 rafts by the dock and it was a mess. They tuned the game so you can gather mats, build a ship, and leave the Freeport.

Where they failed is not communicating that effectively. 

I average 1 person a day telling them the map wraps A to O and 1 to 15.

overall information is lacking.

Good news is they lost a ramshackle or less so really 30 minutes of time.

PS if you didn’t know crew on repairs is disabled in Freeport.

In my opinion the 8 hours can be raised to 10 hours but not more. It was a complete mess when there was no fast decay, people making raft/ships barricades so nobody could leave the islands with a ship. Now freeports are empty and people can start the game in peace. Does the game need more PvE in PvP? Sure, but not by making freeports decay timers take less. 

Edited by Percieval
  • Like 1

Planks start leaking at like 1500 or something like that. Your whole boat probably started leaking all at once lol live and learn bud. Find a renter island.

I think like every1 lost their ship to freeport at least once, and then they go forum to find that they not supposed to leave their ship there : ))

I remember near to release I lost mine in the freeport, so many lessons have been learned since then :classic_laugh:

You think that was bad? You should have seen it when it was first released, a ship of the dammed decided to take it upon himself to come right into the shipyard and shoot at my ship, it wasn't even complete yet but that was the normal back then.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Percieval said:

In my opinion the 8 hours can be raised to 10 hours but not more. It was a complete mess when there was no fast decay, people making raft/ships barricades so nobody could leave the islands with a ship. Now freeports are empty and people can start the game in peace. Does the game need more PvE in PvP? Sure, but not by making freeports decay timers take less. 

What the game needs is some sensible programmers and developers who know how to create an enjoyable and fun game and then program it correctly. For instance, Freeports should just be NO PVP period. PvP zones should be a thing. Factions should be a thing. Having some NPC's at other ports or points of interest or objective to "police" the game should be a thing. Right now it's a beautiful open world with empty towns and villages which is bad. A game with 100% player made content and PvP is not a viable option for this type of game. 

Edited by Sydhart

9 minutes ago, Sydhart said:

What the game needs is some sensible programmers and developers who know how to create an enjoyable and fun game and then program it correctly. For instance, Freeports should just be NO PVP period. PvP zones should be a thing. Factions should be a thing. Having some NPC's at other ports or points of interest or objective to "police" the game should be a thing. Right now it's a beautiful open world with empty towns and villages which is bad. A game with 100% player made content and PvP is not a viable option for this type of game. 

The amount of people exploiting that would be insane. They will need to think that through like.. a lot. They don’t have the reputation of thinking anything through so it will take a very long time to even realize your proposal. But ye I agree. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Percieval said:

The amount of people exploiting that would be insane. They will need to think that through like.. a lot. They don’t have the reputation of thinking anything through so it will take a very long time to even realize your proposal. But ye I agree. 

How exactly would you "exploit" it? People have already done this in private servers and been successful. I played on a 5V5 grid server with some fun custom mods where the middle zones were Golden Age and PvP zones and the outer zones were Freeport and Non-PvE. It was great. Unfortunately it shut down due to cost of running 25 servers and the vast amount of bugs which made the mods impossible to keep updated. 

1 hour ago, Sydhart said:

How exactly would you "exploit" it? People have already done this in private servers and been successful. I played on a 5V5 grid server with some fun custom mods where the middle zones were Golden Age and PvP zones and the outer zones were Freeport and Non-PvE. It was great. Unfortunately it shut down due to cost of running 25 servers and the vast amount of bugs which made the mods impossible to keep updated. 

Well the biggest advantage you can have in pvp is speed so if you can combine that speed with even more safe zones, I’d be invincible. Factions would be griefing paradise with people sinking their own factions ship, O’ing BP’s and gold. So if they can work around that, then it could work. And yes, private servers is something different because the admins can act quickly and rollbacks are done way easier. 

I still believe big private servers are the way to go. I’d totally buy a grid every month for a 25 grid world where the rules are okay, pvp wise etc. That’s the ultimate atlas experience imo. But I never found 24 other people that want the same. 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2019 at 6:36 AM, Sydhart said:

Decay rate used to be less. Know what happened? People used the 100% immunity of freeport to simply store ships, store resources, store crew, store tames, store high level blueprints, etc. Indefinitely. Just super-stock it with repair resources and repair it once or twice per day, and completely avoid all PvP mechanics for a small maintenance time. Freeports got extremely cluttered with ships and tames, and sometimes even fully clogging ports with ships, disallowing new players from being able to make or set sail with ships. Decay rates were increased, and now the overhead for storing ships in freeport is more annoying, making it less desirable. You can still do it, but you need to green anchor your ship and level up resistance quite a bit, but that aversion makes most people avoid storing ships there for long, now.

17 hours ago, Atreties said:

Decay rate used to be less. Know what happened? People used the 100% immunity of freeport to simply store ships, store resources, store crew, store tames, store high level blueprints, etc. Indefinitely. Just super-stock it with repair resources and repair it once or twice per day, and completely avoid all PvP mechanics for a small maintenance time. Freeports got extremely cluttered with ships and tames, and sometimes even fully clogging ports with ships, disallowing new players from being able to make or set sail with ships. Decay rates were increased, and now the overhead for storing ships in freeport is more annoying, making it less desirable. You can still do it, but you need to green anchor your ship and level up resistance quite a bit, but that aversion makes most people avoid storing ships there for long, now.

I think the biggest problem is that there is no objective in PvP in Atlas. There should be some kind of risk versus reward. Right now, all PvP is just trying to completely wipe people out. So the only objective is complete annihilation. The time to build up in order to compete only to lose it all within a couple hours of being offline is just not worth it to most people so they quit.  That doesn't create a sustainable game. And because the risk is so high many people are willing to cheat so they don't "lose".  It's a piss poor recipe that only brews disaster. Without some kind of accountability and objectives, there is no reason to keep playing in PvP.  

• Like 2

On 12/23/2019 at 3:01 PM, Jack Shandy said:

Not nessesary a bad decision, having very little PVP / PVE seperation is bad.

Also without trawling the internet, you'll only find out about the fast decay when you loose a ship is an utter crap system, they could easily add a bit more text to the "you are above level 8" constant notice when you are in a freeport region.

Completely wrong !

EVE ONLINE is showing how a successful PVPvE concept works.

You ships are safe in the harbour (PVE). As soon as you go out to hunt the big treasure you can be sunk by better players (PVP).

In ATLAS we have a PVO (Player versus Offliners) concept currently. You can sink the best anchored galleon easily with a rusty sloop and one rusty cannon mounted on it.

To build a galleon players have to invest a lot of time, of course they are not willing to do so if their property can be destroyed offline.

Thats why this game is doomed despite the fantastic graphics and pirate gameplay Mr. Stieglitz os not willing to learn from his failure in ARK and ATLAS.

This is why both have been defeated by CONAN EXILES.