Sign in to follow this  
CoopedUp

Ceiling Physics

I know some people in PvE build some really elaborate and huge structures.  Has anyone noticed if they changed the physics on ceiling structures for some reason?

Used to be that like ARK if you had placed a line of foundations down and then on one end used a ramp or walls to build upwards you could extend your ceiling tiles straight out over the row of foundations as far as you wanted with no issues.  This was a hold-over from ARK to accommodate some of the ridiculous base sizes and open rooms, in that the ceiling tile only checked for a connected foundation directly beneath it.

Recently on two different construction projects I've started having errors when placing ceiling tiles with it reporting that there is no foundation support nearby, even though in both cases there is a full set of foundations or pillared ceiling tiles DIRECTLY below the unit I'm trying to place.  Did they change the physics where now you can only extend a ceiling tile 7-8 tiles away from a wall support before you need to supply another wall support?  Or are my tiles just not registering that they are snapped together and even though I have a square 20x20 foundation it actually registers as 5 or 6 varying foundation shapes simply placed next to each other and not connected?

There has been some change recently because I now have ceiling tiles randomly go missing, both as floor pieces and top. I've had to rebuild ceilings differently in two different projects over the past week or so for them to "stick" and replace a ceiling floor on pillars with foundations that I had to stack 10 high in ONE piece of my base that were on top of pillars that kept disappearing as well. I hadn't had any problems until the last week. 

This changed after season 1. People were running a line of foundations on the ground then building floating bridges 30 walls above that.

the large build bug in my experience is caused by

a support structure goes out 3 floors in any direction. As we all do we add another support and keep going. What can happen is the fourth floor placed gets confused about which side is supporting it. It seems that the “support check” is only done when something is destroyed or overridden(replace thatch with wood).

to combat this leave 1 foundation/floor wide gaps every so often in your build, then when all is done connect them.

hope I explained it ok, it’s not easy

Also, for Pillar supports. If you build from the top down with pilars, sometimes they are not fully snapped the the ground and will cause build bug issues. Check all pillars to see if you can snap 1 more pillar at the Bottom of the run, keep in mind you may not even see it but it will snap there

2 hours ago, Skinner NA PVE said:

the large build bug in my experience is caused by

a support structure goes out 3 floors in any direction. As we all do we add another support and keep going. What can happen is the fourth floor placed gets confused about which side is supporting it. It seems that the “support check” is only done when something is destroyed or overridden(replace thatch with wood).

to combat this leave 1 foundation/floor wide gaps every so often in your build, then when all is done connect them.

That's kind of what I was thinking was happening was that the ceiling tiles that make up the 'floor' weren't registering the supports or connections on other sides.  I guess what I can do is one by one, demolish and replace every ceiling tile in the floor that isn't needed for pillar support and see if the new ones start registering and updating the support points so that everything lists as 'connected'.