Ravens

New Ships and Sails

New Ships

Frigate
A frigate is a sailing ship that is made out of wood and has three to four masts but in game could benefit from having 5. It is usually an armoured to some degree as it's a golden age war vessel. In game it could be very resilient and have good weight capacity to allow large amounts of cannons and ammo to be stored on it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frigate

Carrack
Usually three or more masts, large amount of cargo capacity and is used for very long voyages, it also has a bowsprit at the front. In game the ship could have a huge weight capacity to help with long voyages (better then the galleon) but smaller then the galleon in size. Probably the size could be inbetween the Brig and Galleon. Could have a speed increase or able to have an extra sail on to make it a good choice for going further.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrack

Man-of-war
A galleon varient suited for being a warship. Good durability, good weight carrying capacity. Able to take a lot of punishment without being sunk easily.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-of-war

New Sail Types
Would be nice to see some more new sail types added so we can customise our ships further.

-- Lug Rig Sail
-- Crab Claw Sail
-- Lateen Rig Sail
-- Bermuda Rig Sail

As someone who has only been playing the game for a few weeks since the crossplay release, I haven't had a chance to explore all there is a about the game. 

However, I will say, that it would be nice to have a few more ship's or items specific to them that we could create.

I am still having a lot of fun with what we have, however I can see where it could eventually be seen as old as more is not added. 

There is hope though, as the game is still in early release. Which means there could be more to come that we might be able to play around with. 

Of the options that you listed, the Carrack is my favorite.  Mostly because I tend to take long trips to gather resources and it would be nice to have a bit more weight. 

And additional sail skins, if not the sails themselves, would be a nice way to individualize the ships you build to set them apart for others. The colors are nice, but this could be the next step. 

That is just me though. :classic_biggrin:

*From a Xbox-Steam Crossplay server perspective.

I would like to add some suggestions, especially addressing phase 2 of the roadmap:

There are a lot more ship types that can be added. Just think of Pinnace, Dutch Fluyts, Ship of the Line with 2- and 3-decks, Brigs, Barques, Haffboots and so on. I suggest to reduce the masts on all of the ships. The ship types currently in game (and the above mentioned) are from the 16. and 17. century and mostly they had two or three masts with square and/or gaff rigs.

Maybe make the sails and mast more different in size - not just three size types but  five or so and also different in crew requirements. (tiny to medium sails can be used by only one crew mate, larger sails need two or more to be used with optimum speed for raising and pulling them into the wind).

Additionally the ships need a proper system for creating structures on the hull and a proper positioning of the masts. figureheads should also be craftable in a basic variant and then upgraded with "skins" or whatever - as steering wheels and other ornamentation across the vessel. Designing the ship interior would make living on our ships much more satisfing as well (not just walls inside the ship but also furniture, land structure will also benefit from them).

A limitation of guns aboard a ship, or at least a minimum space between stationary weapons would also help to build better ships. A Schooner firing 10 guns in the rear, well, it looks weird and in PvP I don't think it's fair.

Just some thoughs, after a long trip across the seas. 🙂

The problem with the ships now is they made a bit wrong.

1) - We've got useless vessels.

Raft was once the first vessel to carry us to our island. Now we have ramshake.

Dinghy - is useless because you'll get to a shore and back way faster by yourself. And yeah, the way I see to fix this is to put storage in dinghy and make it possible to one click transfer stuff from boat to ship storage and back.

Sloops are now the first vessels from freeport to you settle place, but... well, instead you can go lawles and start with a schooner.

2) - We've got everything we need within 3 vessels.

I was playing to alot pirate games before. There were like 4 massive single player pirate games in past (Corsairs, made by Russian devs). And it was simple there. The better ship you have, then it will be more durable, more powerful and can carry alot of stuff. So difference between ships was:

- Hold size.

- Sturdiness.

- Speed and maneuvering.

- Firepower.

You always wanted more. There were shore fortresses, and without strong enough ship you could not get though.

And what we do have here in ATLAS?

- Hold size doesn't matter. You put storage box a man size in and you can put there like 15-30 tons of stuff.

- Sturdiness doesn't matter. You can always cover your ship with roofs and ceilings (which can be different quality and HP) and also upgrade your ship to be more durable.

- Speed and maneuvering - SUPPOSE to be a COMPROMISE STATS compared to all other ones. I mean normally you either have fast and maneuverable ship, or strong, powerful and big. But in the Atlas we have biggest and yet fastest ship (6 SS Galley). And strongest and maneuverable Brig. No compromises at all.

- Firepower. The way how it worked in Corsairs. Ships were spread to 6 classes and each class could wear certain cannons weight. Like 6th class could wear just 18 pound cannons and 12 pound coulverins (coulverine is a bit weaker but with way longer range cannons). And 1st class could wear 42 pounds cannons! I think in Atlas there would be a simple formula for damage: (Weight X 100 / 2) so 12 pound could land just 600 damage while 42 pound - 2100.

But anyway. In Atlas firepower doesn't matter either. Because we can pick up a Brig and put there 6 cannons each side. Or even 12 cannons each side. Or even 18 cannons each side. Or like 10 stern cannons... we can put 10 cannons and they do 12 000 damage per volley. Or can upgrade ship and have like 24 000 damage per volley. Or can upgrade the cannons + ship and have like 43 000 damage per volley...

c1cuPXe.jpg

3) - No compromises. 

We have "all in one" ships. I mean we can build a battle vessel, with strong firepower, then put there storage and carry a lot of merchandise, then catch tames and carry them too, then go for treasure and underwater explorations etc, we can put there all smithy, tannery etc, and make em a mobile base for all purposes.

-----------------------------------

So what do we have right now in total? Well I'll tell you. We have EVERYTHING we need. And we don't need anything else (I'm NOT saying WE DON'T WANT anything). It sad, but it made this way. I mean imagine there will be some kind of Frigate that can carry 10 gunports but it does 10 knots full sails and have slow turning speed? No one will want it because Brig can also carry 10 cannons and can do 14 knots and maneuverable as hell!

-----------------------------------

IMAO - they should change all ship concept in the game, so players will stuck between desire and compromise. So players would choice - if they wanna cannons or cargo holds in ship hold. If they wanna carry alot of stuff, or battle damned ships. And ONLY THEN ship types will matter and we'll want more.

Like 26 types of ship I mentioned here:

Edited by George Catcher